Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
      This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
      suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
      would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
      enrolled as of week 4?

      Mike

      WendellWag@... wrote:

      >In a message dated 12/3/2005 11:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      >WendellWag@... writes:
      >
      >That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
      >publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
      >way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
      >re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
      >by the
      >Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
      >constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any
      >thought
      >about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
      >doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.
      >

      >When I wrote that, I was *not* discussing whether the publication or the
      >chronological ordering is "better." That's an argument about literary opinion,
      >and while I have an opinion about it, I'm willing to concede that there's an
      >argument for each side. On the subject of whether the subject of the
      >ordering of the books even came up before the mid-1990's though, I don't think
      >there's any question. No one even discussed the issue of the ordering before
      >then. The only reason that the change happened is because of the taste of
      >Douglas Gresham.
      >
      >Wendell Wagner

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
        David Bratman wrote:

        >At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
        >

        >>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
        >>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
        >>conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
        >>severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.
        >>
        >>Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.
        >>

        >That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
        >feeling that way.

        Obviously others were applauding to in Nashville.

        >However, it need not prove that the reordering is better. After all, by
        >your own account you had read LWW, PC, and VDT before you first read MN.
        >So in fact your first-reading order (the ordering debate is not meant to
        >apply to subsequent readings) was closer to a publication-first order than
        >to a chronological order, even though it was not exactly the same as either.
        >
        >The one good argument against publication-first order is that Lewis became
        >a better writer as he went along through the Chronicles.

        Agreed! LWW has some of the same flaws of Out of the Silent Planet
        Perelandra, to a lesser extent in the second but Lord, Perel. drags. THS is the best written of
        the Ransom trilogy but as John Rateliff so aptly said, OotSP, attempts
        least but succeeds most.

        For short but more detailed observations on this, interested readers can
        post me separately.

        So LLW has that same baby-lion's-first-stumbling-steps charm.

        But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
        CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

        Mike

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
          At 08:03 PM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
          >>That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
          >>feeling that way.
          >>
          >Obviously others were applauding to[o] in Nashville.

          Not clear exactly what aspect they were applauding. Your story - which,
          don't forget, essentially amounts to finding MN easier to read AFTER you'd
          already read LWW, apparently more than once - remains the only one I know
          that thereby leads to a preference for the MN-first order.

          >This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
          >suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
          >would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
          >enrolled as of week 4?

          Beginning Narnia with LWW would only remind me of beginning Tolkien's
          legendarium with The Silmarillion if LWW were as difficult and challenging
          as The Silmarillion. Not very likely.

          DB
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
            > But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
            > CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

            Umm, I =like= "Rumblebuffin." I think there are far more problematic names
            elsewhere in Lewis. Bardia? Redival? I never even cared much for "Elwin" as
            Ransom's first name, Tolkien-tribute though it may be.

            Elwin Ransom
            Was very handsome.
            He kindled in Jane a romantic spark,
            But then sent her back to silly old Mark.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005

              >>At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
              >>

              >>>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
              >>>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
              >>>conference Nov. 3.

              Where or when did he do that, Mike? I asked him a question at the banquet
              which touched on this, but don't remember such a specific defense in his
              answer; but then I have a memory like a sieve, and I don't mean a Pensieve.

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
                At the
                banquet on Nov. 3, during the Q&A after his speech.

                Reepicheep is the worst nominative offender.

                Mike