Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"

    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
      In a message dated 12/3/2005 11:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
      publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
      way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
      re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
      by the
      Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
      constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any
      thought
      about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
      doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.

      When I wrote that, I was *not* discussing whether the publication or the
      chronological ordering is "better." That's an argument about literary opinion,
      and while I have an opinion about it, I'm willing to concede that there's an
      argument for each side. On the subject of whether the subject of the
      ordering of the books even came up before the mid-1990's though, I don't think
      there's any question. No one even discussed the issue of the ordering before
      then. The only reason that the change happened is because of the taste of
      Douglas Gresham.

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
        This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
        suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
        would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
        enrolled as of week 4?

        Mike

        WendellWag@... wrote:

        >In a message dated 12/3/2005 11:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        >WendellWag@... writes:
        >
        >That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
        >publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
        >way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
        >re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
        >by the
        >Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
        >constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any
        >thought
        >about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
        >doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.
        >

        >When I wrote that, I was *not* discussing whether the publication or the
        >chronological ordering is "better." That's an argument about literary opinion,
        >and while I have an opinion about it, I'm willing to concede that there's an
        >argument for each side. On the subject of whether the subject of the
        >ordering of the books even came up before the mid-1990's though, I don't think
        >there's any question. No one even discussed the issue of the ordering before
        >then. The only reason that the change happened is because of the taste of
        >Douglas Gresham.
        >
        >Wendell Wagner

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
          David Bratman wrote:

          >At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
          >

          >>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
          >>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
          >>conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
          >>severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.
          >>
          >>Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.
          >>

          >That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
          >feeling that way.

          Obviously others were applauding to in Nashville.

          >However, it need not prove that the reordering is better. After all, by
          >your own account you had read LWW, PC, and VDT before you first read MN.
          >So in fact your first-reading order (the ordering debate is not meant to
          >apply to subsequent readings) was closer to a publication-first order than
          >to a chronological order, even though it was not exactly the same as either.
          >
          >The one good argument against publication-first order is that Lewis became
          >a better writer as he went along through the Chronicles.

          Agreed! LWW has some of the same flaws of Out of the Silent Planet
          Perelandra, to a lesser extent in the second but Lord, Perel. drags. THS is the best written of
          the Ransom trilogy but as John Rateliff so aptly said, OotSP, attempts
          least but succeeds most.

          For short but more detailed observations on this, interested readers can
          post me separately.

          So LLW has that same baby-lion's-first-stumbling-steps charm.

          But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
          CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

          Mike

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
            At 08:03 PM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
            >>That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
            >>feeling that way.
            >>
            >Obviously others were applauding to[o] in Nashville.

            Not clear exactly what aspect they were applauding. Your story - which,
            don't forget, essentially amounts to finding MN easier to read AFTER you'd
            already read LWW, apparently more than once - remains the only one I know
            that thereby leads to a preference for the MN-first order.

            >This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
            >suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
            >would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
            >enrolled as of week 4?

            Beginning Narnia with LWW would only remind me of beginning Tolkien's
            legendarium with The Silmarillion if LWW were as difficult and challenging
            as The Silmarillion. Not very likely.

            DB
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
              > But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
              > CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

              Umm, I =like= "Rumblebuffin." I think there are far more problematic names
              elsewhere in Lewis. Bardia? Redival? I never even cared much for "Elwin" as
              Ransom's first name, Tolkien-tribute though it may be.

              Elwin Ransom
              Was very handsome.
              He kindled in Jane a romantic spark,
              But then sent her back to silly old Mark.

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005

                >>At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                >>

                >>>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                >>>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                >>>conference Nov. 3.

                Where or when did he do that, Mike? I asked him a question at the banquet
                which touched on this, but don't remember such a specific defense in his
                answer; but then I have a memory like a sieve, and I don't mean a Pensieve.

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
                  At the
                  banquet on Nov. 3, during the Q&A after his speech.

                  Reepicheep is the worst nominative offender.

                  Mike