Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
      The letter (on http://www.nthposition.com/blasphemyinnarnia.php) says
      Magician's Nephew in brackets, so I had that in my head as the one adapted.

      Perhaps I'm wrong, and I admit I didn't know about this radio version before
      this thread. Will someone confirm?

      Hugh

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
        At 02:23 PM 12/3/2005 -0500, Hugh Davis wrote:
        >The letter (on http://www.nthposition.com/blasphemyinnarnia.php) says
        >Magician's Nephew in brackets, so I had that in my head as the one adapted.

        And that is what the news article originally quoted by Patrick Wynne (based
        on the letter, presumably) says too, which I didn't notice when I wrote
        about the 1959 LWW.

        But Hooper's Companion, my source, is very clear that it was LWW. He gives
        a cast list, and I do not recall Peter, Susan, Edmund, Lucy, and Mr Tumnus
        appearing in The Magician's Nephew.

        I suspect what happened is this: whoever added the bracketed reference to
        MN to the letter had registered that the book dramatized was the first of
        the Chronicles, and then went to look at a current copy and found that MN
        was the "first"!!!

        Yet another example of the toxicity of the change of ordering.

        David Bratman
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
          At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
          >We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
          >Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
          >conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
          >severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.
          >
          >Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.

          That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
          feeling that way.

          However, it need not prove that the reordering is better. After all, by
          your own account you had read LWW, PC, and VDT before you first read MN.
          So in fact your first-reading order (the ordering debate is not meant to
          apply to subsequent readings) was closer to a publication-first order than
          to a chronological order, even though it was not exactly the same as either.

          The one good argument against publication-first order is that Lewis became
          a better writer as he went along through the Chronicles. Or at least I'd
          agree with that statement, though that hasn't prevented LWW from becoming
          the most indispensable classic volume of the set (which is why the first
          movie was made of it, and why, for instance, children's lit expert K.V.
          Johansen believes you should read LWW first, even though she accepts the
          chronological order). But despite Lewis's improving writing I'd call the
          best books SC (my own favorite of the set) and HHB, as MN and LB, though
          written later, to my mind suffer slightly from being too concerned with
          wrapping up beginnings and endings.

          David Bratman
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
            In a message dated 12/3/2005 11:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
            publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
            way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
            re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
            by the
            Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
            constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any
            thought
            about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
            doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.

            When I wrote that, I was *not* discussing whether the publication or the
            chronological ordering is "better." That's an argument about literary opinion,
            and while I have an opinion about it, I'm willing to concede that there's an
            argument for each side. On the subject of whether the subject of the
            ordering of the books even came up before the mid-1990's though, I don't think
            there's any question. No one even discussed the issue of the ordering before
            then. The only reason that the change happened is because of the taste of
            Douglas Gresham.

          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
              This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
              suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
              would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
              enrolled as of week 4?

              Mike

              WendellWag@... wrote:

              >In a message dated 12/3/2005 11:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              >WendellWag@... writes:
              >
              >That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
              >publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
              >way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
              >re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
              >by the
              >Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
              >constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any
              >thought
              >about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
              >doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.
              >

              >When I wrote that, I was *not* discussing whether the publication or the
              >chronological ordering is "better." That's an argument about literary opinion,
              >and while I have an opinion about it, I'm willing to concede that there's an
              >argument for each side. On the subject of whether the subject of the
              >ordering of the books even came up before the mid-1990's though, I don't think
              >there's any question. No one even discussed the issue of the ordering before
              >then. The only reason that the change happened is because of the taste of
              >Douglas Gresham.
              >
              >Wendell Wagner

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                David Bratman wrote:

                >At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                >

                >>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                >>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                >>conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
                >>severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.
                >>
                >>Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.
                >>

                >That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
                >feeling that way.

                Obviously others were applauding to in Nashville.

                >However, it need not prove that the reordering is better. After all, by
                >your own account you had read LWW, PC, and VDT before you first read MN.
                >So in fact your first-reading order (the ordering debate is not meant to
                >apply to subsequent readings) was closer to a publication-first order than
                >to a chronological order, even though it was not exactly the same as either.
                >
                >The one good argument against publication-first order is that Lewis became
                >a better writer as he went along through the Chronicles.

                Agreed! LWW has some of the same flaws of Out of the Silent Planet
                Perelandra, to a lesser extent in the second but Lord, Perel. drags. THS is the best written of
                the Ransom trilogy but as John Rateliff so aptly said, OotSP, attempts
                least but succeeds most.

                For short but more detailed observations on this, interested readers can
                post me separately.

                So LLW has that same baby-lion's-first-stumbling-steps charm.

                But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
                CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

                Mike

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                  At 08:03 PM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                  >>That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
                  >>feeling that way.
                  >>
                  >Obviously others were applauding to[o] in Nashville.

                  Not clear exactly what aspect they were applauding. Your story - which,
                  don't forget, essentially amounts to finding MN easier to read AFTER you'd
                  already read LWW, apparently more than once - remains the only one I know
                  that thereby leads to a preference for the MN-first order.

                  >This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
                  >suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
                  >would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
                  >enrolled as of week 4?

                  Beginning Narnia with LWW would only remind me of beginning Tolkien's
                  legendarium with The Silmarillion if LWW were as difficult and challenging
                  as The Silmarillion. Not very likely.

                  DB
                • Stolzi
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
                    > But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
                    > CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

                    Umm, I =like= "Rumblebuffin." I think there are far more problematic names
                    elsewhere in Lewis. Bardia? Redival? I never even cared much for "Elwin" as
                    Ransom's first name, Tolkien-tribute though it may be.

                    Elwin Ransom
                    Was very handsome.
                    He kindled in Jane a romantic spark,
                    But then sent her back to silly old Mark.

                    Diamond Proudbrook
                  • Stolzi
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005

                      >>At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                      >>

                      >>>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                      >>>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                      >>>conference Nov. 3.

                      Where or when did he do that, Mike? I asked him a question at the banquet
                      which touched on this, but don't remember such a specific defense in his
                      answer; but then I have a memory like a sieve, and I don't mean a Pensieve.

                      Diamond Proudbrook
                    • Mike Foster
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
                        At the
                        banquet on Nov. 3, during the Q&A after his speech.

                        Reepicheep is the worst nominative offender.

                        Mike