Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
      Thank you. I need to read up on this in the Companion. I'd love to find out
      more about the production.

      Does the fact their only take was MN suggest they were following the
      chronology (just to stir that pot)?

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
        In a message dated 12/3/2005 8:11:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        HughHDavis@... writes:

        Does the fact their only take was MN suggest they were following the
        chronology (just to stir that pot)?

        That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
        publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
        way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
        re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions by the
        Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
        constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any thought
        about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
        doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
          We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
          Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
          conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
          severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.

          Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.

          LWW: having re-read it for 3rd? time for smial, it was both better and
          worse than I remembered it was. It will make a smashing film of the
          Action Jackson variety.

          Can we have Mythsoc prize for Most Tolkien Ripoffs in LWW Noted?
          I stopped counting at ten, but I'm sure we can find more.

          Jo & I did a dramatic reading of the Ruth Pitter-CSL debate re:
          catechesis on the Beavers' hospitality that RP records in Hooper's CSL
          Companion in 'Who's Who' to amuse the group. Twice.

          To better understand Aslan, observe sparrows at a bird feeder when a big
          scarlet tom cardinal flies up.

          Cheers,
          Mike

          Guess who won both debates?

        • juliet@firinn.org
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
            On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 08:09:22AM -0500, Hugh Davis wrote:
            > Thank you. I need to read up on this in the Companion. I'd love to find out
            > more about the production.
            >
            > Does the fact their only take was MN suggest they were following the
            > chronology (just to stir that pot)?

            Er, doesn't the mail below say "the 1959 LWW" and nothing about
            Magician's Nephew? Maybe I missed something.

            > >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
            > >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"
            > >Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:56:17 -0800
            > >
            > >At 06:39 AM 12/1/2005 -0500, Hugh Davis wrote:
            > > >I did not know about this radio version. Were the other Chronicles
            > >adapted
            > > >during Lewis' lifetime? Do any copies exist?
            > >
            > >Walter Hooper's Lewis Companion lists the 1959 LWW as the only Chronicle
            > >radio dramatization in Lewis's lifetime. (There have been others since.)
            > >It says nothing about whether it still exists in any form (a lot of radio
            > >in those days was live and never recorded).
            > >
            > >DB

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Hugh Davis
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
              Well, I was partly being facetious. It's interesting that they adapted that
              one, but it is one that is much better for radio than television (at least
              at that time), in terms of the scope of the imagination.

              >From: WendellWag@...
              >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"
              >Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:11:17 EST
              >

              >In a message dated 12/3/2005 8:11:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              >HughHDavis@... writes:
              >
              >Does the fact their only take was MN suggest they were following the
              >chronology (just to stir that pot)?
              >

              >That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
              >publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
              >way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
              >re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
              >by the
              >Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
              >constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated
              >any thought
              >about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
              >doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.
              >
              >Wendell Wagner

            • Hugh Davis
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                The letter (on http://www.nthposition.com/blasphemyinnarnia.php) says
                Magician's Nephew in brackets, so I had that in my head as the one adapted.

                Perhaps I'm wrong, and I admit I didn't know about this radio version before
                this thread. Will someone confirm?

                Hugh

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                  At 02:23 PM 12/3/2005 -0500, Hugh Davis wrote:
                  >The letter (on http://www.nthposition.com/blasphemyinnarnia.php) says
                  >Magician's Nephew in brackets, so I had that in my head as the one adapted.

                  And that is what the news article originally quoted by Patrick Wynne (based
                  on the letter, presumably) says too, which I didn't notice when I wrote
                  about the 1959 LWW.

                  But Hooper's Companion, my source, is very clear that it was LWW. He gives
                  a cast list, and I do not recall Peter, Susan, Edmund, Lucy, and Mr Tumnus
                  appearing in The Magician's Nephew.

                  I suspect what happened is this: whoever added the bracketed reference to
                  MN to the letter had registered that the book dramatized was the first of
                  the Chronicles, and then went to look at a current copy and found that MN
                  was the "first"!!!

                  Yet another example of the toxicity of the change of ordering.

                  David Bratman
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                    At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                    >We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                    >Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                    >conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
                    >severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.
                    >
                    >Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.

                    That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
                    feeling that way.

                    However, it need not prove that the reordering is better. After all, by
                    your own account you had read LWW, PC, and VDT before you first read MN.
                    So in fact your first-reading order (the ordering debate is not meant to
                    apply to subsequent readings) was closer to a publication-first order than
                    to a chronological order, even though it was not exactly the same as either.

                    The one good argument against publication-first order is that Lewis became
                    a better writer as he went along through the Chronicles. Or at least I'd
                    agree with that statement, though that hasn't prevented LWW from becoming
                    the most indispensable classic volume of the set (which is why the first
                    movie was made of it, and why, for instance, children's lit expert K.V.
                    Johansen believes you should read LWW first, even though she accepts the
                    chronological order). But despite Lewis's improving writing I'd call the
                    best books SC (my own favorite of the set) and HHB, as MN and LB, though
                    written later, to my mind suffer slightly from being too concerned with
                    wrapping up beginnings and endings.

                    David Bratman
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                      In a message dated 12/3/2005 11:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      WendellWag@... writes:

                      That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
                      publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
                      way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
                      re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
                      by the
                      Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
                      constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any
                      thought
                      about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
                      doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.

                      When I wrote that, I was *not* discussing whether the publication or the
                      chronological ordering is "better." That's an argument about literary opinion,
                      and while I have an opinion about it, I'm willing to concede that there's an
                      argument for each side. On the subject of whether the subject of the
                      ordering of the books even came up before the mid-1990's though, I don't think
                      there's any question. No one even discussed the issue of the ordering before
                      then. The only reason that the change happened is because of the taste of
                      Douglas Gresham.

                    • Mike Foster
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                        This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
                        suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
                        would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
                        enrolled as of week 4?

                        Mike

                        WendellWag@... wrote:

                        >In a message dated 12/3/2005 11:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        >WendellWag@... writes:
                        >
                        >That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
                        >publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
                        >way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
                        >re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
                        >by the
                        >Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
                        >constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any
                        >thought
                        >about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
                        >doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.
                        >

                        >When I wrote that, I was *not* discussing whether the publication or the
                        >chronological ordering is "better." That's an argument about literary opinion,
                        >and while I have an opinion about it, I'm willing to concede that there's an
                        >argument for each side. On the subject of whether the subject of the
                        >ordering of the books even came up before the mid-1990's though, I don't think
                        >there's any question. No one even discussed the issue of the ordering before
                        >then. The only reason that the change happened is because of the taste of
                        >Douglas Gresham.
                        >
                        >Wendell Wagner

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                          David Bratman wrote:

                          >At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                          >

                          >>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                          >>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                          >>conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
                          >>severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.
                          >>
                          >>Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.
                          >>

                          >That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
                          >feeling that way.

                          Obviously others were applauding to in Nashville.

                          >However, it need not prove that the reordering is better. After all, by
                          >your own account you had read LWW, PC, and VDT before you first read MN.
                          >So in fact your first-reading order (the ordering debate is not meant to
                          >apply to subsequent readings) was closer to a publication-first order than
                          >to a chronological order, even though it was not exactly the same as either.
                          >
                          >The one good argument against publication-first order is that Lewis became
                          >a better writer as he went along through the Chronicles.

                          Agreed! LWW has some of the same flaws of Out of the Silent Planet
                          Perelandra, to a lesser extent in the second but Lord, Perel. drags. THS is the best written of
                          the Ransom trilogy but as John Rateliff so aptly said, OotSP, attempts
                          least but succeeds most.

                          For short but more detailed observations on this, interested readers can
                          post me separately.

                          So LLW has that same baby-lion's-first-stumbling-steps charm.

                          But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
                          CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

                          Mike

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                            At 08:03 PM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                            >>That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
                            >>feeling that way.
                            >>
                            >Obviously others were applauding to[o] in Nashville.

                            Not clear exactly what aspect they were applauding. Your story - which,
                            don't forget, essentially amounts to finding MN easier to read AFTER you'd
                            already read LWW, apparently more than once - remains the only one I know
                            that thereby leads to a preference for the MN-first order.

                            >This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
                            >suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
                            >would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
                            >enrolled as of week 4?

                            Beginning Narnia with LWW would only remind me of beginning Tolkien's
                            legendarium with The Silmarillion if LWW were as difficult and challenging
                            as The Silmarillion. Not very likely.

                            DB
                          • Stolzi
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
                              > But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
                              > CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

                              Umm, I =like= "Rumblebuffin." I think there are far more problematic names
                              elsewhere in Lewis. Bardia? Redival? I never even cared much for "Elwin" as
                              Ransom's first name, Tolkien-tribute though it may be.

                              Elwin Ransom
                              Was very handsome.
                              He kindled in Jane a romantic spark,
                              But then sent her back to silly old Mark.

                              Diamond Proudbrook
                            • Stolzi
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005

                                >>At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                                >>

                                >>>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                                >>>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                                >>>conference Nov. 3.

                                Where or when did he do that, Mike? I asked him a question at the banquet
                                which touched on this, but don't remember such a specific defense in his
                                answer; but then I have a memory like a sieve, and I don't mean a Pensieve.

                                Diamond Proudbrook
                              • Mike Foster
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
                                  At the
                                  banquet on Nov. 3, during the Q&A after his speech.

                                  Reepicheep is the worst nominative offender.

                                  Mike