Re: [mythsoc] Re: can anyone recommend books/videos for a 10-yr-old girl?

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
      On 12/1/05, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

      > I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
      > mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
      > Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
      > tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
      > adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
      > befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
      > pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
      > Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
      > three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
      > checking it out!
      >
      > Ellen Denham

      Yes. I loved =Spirited Away.= What was especially interesting was
      the old grandfather character, and the way he talked to the little
      girl. He scolded her mercilessly in private, but his actions showed
      her that he cared for her quite deeply. He was willing to give her
      the train tickets she needed, and he got her a job by bribing someone
      with a mysterious black noodle. That was funny. I think our daughter
      was probably 8 or 9 when we watched it together. She is 11 now, and
      we still refer to it, occasionally. It changed the way we saw things,
      a little. I think it is a great movie.

      Walter Padgett
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
        Ellen & Walter,
        You are correct, Ms. & Sir.

        David Emerson gave me & Jo this as a beer & pizza gift when he came down
        to Metamora to jam with a Fine Kettle of Fish on our way to Mythcon in
        Nashville in '03 or in Ann Arbor in '04. The fact that central to
        Illinois from St. Paul to Nashville makes much more sense than to U.
        Michigan leads me to believe it was '04.

        It is brilliant. Circe myth evoked, Hansel & Gretel reversed, Disney's
        Pinocchio, Edge-O-Phobia & Jackson's Moria Staggering Staircases also
        well done.

        Like every truly great tale as old as Sir Gawaine & Treasure Island or
        CSL & JRRT, or as recent as Yolen-Stemple's Pay the Piper or
        Horvath-Wiles Line Drives: 100 Contemporary Baseball Poems, it is about
        Redemption.

        And about two hours long.

        Heed Ellen's & Padgett's advice: Foster's advice.

        Mike

        Walter Padgett wrote:

        >On 12/1/05, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:
        >

        >>I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
        >>mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
        >>Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
        >>tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
        >>adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
        >>befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
        >>pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
        >>Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
        >>three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
        >>checking it out!
        >>
        >>Ellen Denham
        >>

        >Yes. I loved =Spirited Away.= What was especially interesting was
        >the old grandfather character, and the way he talked to the little
        >girl. He scolded her mercilessly in private, but his actions showed
        >her that he cared for her quite deeply. He was willing to give her
        >the train tickets she needed, and he got her a job by bribing someone
        >with a mysterious black noodle. That was funny. I think our daughter
        >was probably 8 or 9 when we watched it together. She is 11 now, and
        >we still refer to it, occasionally. It changed the way we saw things,
        >a little. I think it is a great movie.
        >
        >Walter Padgett

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
          I'd just like to add my voice to Ellen's, Walter's, and Amy's praise
          of Hayao Miyazaki's work: there's a reason he's widely viewed as the
          finest animated filmmaker in the world. I'd recommend KIKI'S DELIVERY
          SERVICE as perfect for that age group: it's the story of a thirteen-
          year-old girl setting out to make a place for herself in the world.
          MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO skews slightly younger, but it's the film he's
          most loved for in Japan. SPIRITED AWAY is a wonderful fairy tale that
          skews slightly older. THE CAT RETURNS, his studio's latest release
          but made by a different director (he and his partner are trying to
          groom a next generation of talent to take over after they're gone),
          is good lighthearted fun aimed squarely at that age group.
          The whole Studio Ghilbi film catalogue is worth checking out for
          anyone at all interested in animation or fantasy film, ranging from
          GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (a truly heartbreaking tale about a brother
          and sister orphaned by Allied firebombing in WWII Japan*) to
          NAUSICAA: THE VALLEY OF THE WIND (a girl trying to stop a war and
          ecological devastation in a post-apocalyptic world; generally
          considered his masterpiece) to PORCO ROSSO (a WWI flier trying to
          make a living as a freelance pilot in the 1920s Adriatic after having
          been turned into a giant pig) to PRINCESS MONONOKI (a brutal fight
          between those defending the wilderness and those who want to
          modernize), and much more, from quiet slice-of-life tales of first
          love (WHISPERS OF THE HEART) to a dystopian little micro-film that
          tells its entire story in five minutes (ON YOUR MARK). Luckily, the
          huge anime boom of the last few years means that these films have
          finally all been released over here: for years Disney, which bought
          up the US rights, would neither release them nor allow anyone else to
          do so.

          --JDR

          *do NOT watch this one without a plentiful supply of kleenix in the
          house