Re: [mythsoc] Re: can anyone recommend books/videos for a 10-yr-old girl?

  • Ellen
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
      Lezlie wrote:

      ><snip>
      >
      >Jane Yolen:
      >http://www.janeyolen.com/

      I second the Jane Yolen recommendation.

      I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
      mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
      Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
      tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
      adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
      befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
      pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
      Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
      three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
      checking it out!

      Ellen Denham

    • AMV Howard
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
        In addition to Spirited Away, I could almost recommend Kiki's Delivery
        Service and Howl's Moving Castle (the latter based on the book by Diana
        Wynne Jones); I say almost because Miyazaki does tend to go for the upskirt
        shots (and other very, very mild implied sexuality); probably nothing that a
        10 year old would even notice, but better forewarned than not.

        /A

        --
        Alana Vincent Howard
        Prescott College

        770.419.8727

      • Walter Padgett
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
          On 12/1/05, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

          > I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
          > mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
          > Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
          > tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
          > adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
          > befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
          > pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
          > Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
          > three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
          > checking it out!
          >
          > Ellen Denham

          Yes. I loved =Spirited Away.= What was especially interesting was
          the old grandfather character, and the way he talked to the little
          girl. He scolded her mercilessly in private, but his actions showed
          her that he cared for her quite deeply. He was willing to give her
          the train tickets she needed, and he got her a job by bribing someone
          with a mysterious black noodle. That was funny. I think our daughter
          was probably 8 or 9 when we watched it together. She is 11 now, and
          we still refer to it, occasionally. It changed the way we saw things,
          a little. I think it is a great movie.

          Walter Padgett
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
            Ellen & Walter,
            You are correct, Ms. & Sir.

            David Emerson gave me & Jo this as a beer & pizza gift when he came down
            to Metamora to jam with a Fine Kettle of Fish on our way to Mythcon in
            Nashville in '03 or in Ann Arbor in '04. The fact that central to
            Illinois from St. Paul to Nashville makes much more sense than to U.
            Michigan leads me to believe it was '04.

            It is brilliant. Circe myth evoked, Hansel & Gretel reversed, Disney's
            Pinocchio, Edge-O-Phobia & Jackson's Moria Staggering Staircases also
            well done.

            Like every truly great tale as old as Sir Gawaine & Treasure Island or
            CSL & JRRT, or as recent as Yolen-Stemple's Pay the Piper or
            Horvath-Wiles Line Drives: 100 Contemporary Baseball Poems, it is about
            Redemption.

            And about two hours long.

            Heed Ellen's & Padgett's advice: Foster's advice.

            Mike

            Walter Padgett wrote:

            >On 12/1/05, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:
            >

            >>I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
            >>mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
            >>Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
            >>tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
            >>adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
            >>befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
            >>pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
            >>Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
            >>three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
            >>checking it out!
            >>
            >>Ellen Denham
            >>

            >Yes. I loved =Spirited Away.= What was especially interesting was
            >the old grandfather character, and the way he talked to the little
            >girl. He scolded her mercilessly in private, but his actions showed
            >her that he cared for her quite deeply. He was willing to give her
            >the train tickets she needed, and he got her a job by bribing someone
            >with a mysterious black noodle. That was funny. I think our daughter
            >was probably 8 or 9 when we watched it together. She is 11 now, and
            >we still refer to it, occasionally. It changed the way we saw things,
            >a little. I think it is a great movie.
            >
            >Walter Padgett

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
              I'd just like to add my voice to Ellen's, Walter's, and Amy's praise
              of Hayao Miyazaki's work: there's a reason he's widely viewed as the
              finest animated filmmaker in the world. I'd recommend KIKI'S DELIVERY
              SERVICE as perfect for that age group: it's the story of a thirteen-
              year-old girl setting out to make a place for herself in the world.
              MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO skews slightly younger, but it's the film he's
              most loved for in Japan. SPIRITED AWAY is a wonderful fairy tale that
              skews slightly older. THE CAT RETURNS, his studio's latest release
              but made by a different director (he and his partner are trying to
              groom a next generation of talent to take over after they're gone),
              is good lighthearted fun aimed squarely at that age group.
              The whole Studio Ghilbi film catalogue is worth checking out for
              anyone at all interested in animation or fantasy film, ranging from
              GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (a truly heartbreaking tale about a brother
              and sister orphaned by Allied firebombing in WWII Japan*) to
              NAUSICAA: THE VALLEY OF THE WIND (a girl trying to stop a war and
              ecological devastation in a post-apocalyptic world; generally
              considered his masterpiece) to PORCO ROSSO (a WWI flier trying to
              make a living as a freelance pilot in the 1920s Adriatic after having
              been turned into a giant pig) to PRINCESS MONONOKI (a brutal fight
              between those defending the wilderness and those who want to
              modernize), and much more, from quiet slice-of-life tales of first
              love (WHISPERS OF THE HEART) to a dystopian little micro-film that
              tells its entire story in five minutes (ON YOUR MARK). Luckily, the
              huge anime boom of the last few years means that these films have
              finally all been released over here: for years Disney, which bought
              up the US rights, would neither release them nor allow anyone else to
              do so.

              --JDR

              *do NOT watch this one without a plentiful supply of kleenix in the
              house