Re: CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 30, 2005
      Is it possible to send along the URL of the "Literary site" mentioned
      in the article where the letter has been posted? Thanks, Lezlie

      -- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick H. Wynne" <pwynne@g...> wrote:

      > Here's something interesting from the BBC:
      >
      > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4481756.stm
      >
      > In a nutshell, a 1959 letter by C.S. Lewis to BBC producer
      > Lance Sieveking (who had done a radio version of "The
      > Magician's Nephew" which met with Lewis's approval) includes
      > comments by Lewis that he was "absolutely opposed" to a live-
      > action tv version, and that "anthropomorphic animals, when taken
      > out of narrative into actual visibility, always turn into buffoonery
      > or nightmare."
      >
      > Lewis also says that a "human, pantomime" version of Aslan
      > would be "blasphemy".
      >
      > Yikes!
      >
      > -- Pat

    • Patrick Wynne
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 30, 2005
        On Nov 30, 2005, at 10:28 AM, Lezlie wrote:

        > Is it possible to send along the URL of the "Literary site" mentioned
        > in the article where the letter has been posted? Thanks, Lezlie

        Ask, and ye shall receive:

        http://www.nthposition.com/

        -- Pat
      • Hugh Davis
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2005
          I did not know about this radio version. Were the other Chronicles adapted
          during Lewis' lifetime? Do any copies exist?

          Hugh

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1, 2005
            At 06:39 AM 12/1/2005 -0500, Hugh Davis wrote:
            >I did not know about this radio version. Were the other Chronicles adapted
            >during Lewis' lifetime? Do any copies exist?

            Walter Hooper's Lewis Companion lists the 1959 LWW as the only Chronicle
            radio dramatization in Lewis's lifetime. (There have been others since.)
            It says nothing about whether it still exists in any form (a lot of radio
            in those days was live and never recorded).

            DB
          • Jonathan Michael Reiter
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1, 2005
              That's true. It was only just recently that I myself heard about the BBC's practice of throwing out old videotape recordings or recording over them... Ouch. Just think about all the cool old TV shows that will be seen again...
              Atomtetsuwan2002
              at2k2
              At 06:39 AM 12/1/2005 -0500, Hugh Davis wrote:
              >I did not know about this radio version. Were the other Chronicles adapted
              >during Lewis' lifetime? Do any copies exist?

              Walter Hooper's Lewis Companion lists the 1959 LWW as the only Chronicle
              radio dramatization in Lewis's lifetime. (There have been others since.)
              It says nothing about whether it still exists in any form (a lot of radio
              in those days was live and never recorded).

              DB

              Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report

            • Hugh Davis
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                Thank you. I need to read up on this in the Companion. I'd love to find out
                more about the production.

                Does the fact their only take was MN suggest they were following the
                chronology (just to stir that pot)?

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                  In a message dated 12/3/2005 8:11:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  HughHDavis@... writes:

                  Does the fact their only take was MN suggest they were following the
                  chronology (just to stir that pot)?

                  That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
                  publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
                  way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
                  re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions by the
                  Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
                  constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any thought
                  about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
                  doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.

                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                    We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                    Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                    conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
                    severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.

                    Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.

                    LWW: having re-read it for 3rd? time for smial, it was both better and
                    worse than I remembered it was. It will make a smashing film of the
                    Action Jackson variety.

                    Can we have Mythsoc prize for Most Tolkien Ripoffs in LWW Noted?
                    I stopped counting at ten, but I'm sure we can find more.

                    Jo & I did a dramatic reading of the Ruth Pitter-CSL debate re:
                    catechesis on the Beavers' hospitality that RP records in Hooper's CSL
                    Companion in 'Who's Who' to amuse the group. Twice.

                    To better understand Aslan, observe sparrows at a bird feeder when a big
                    scarlet tom cardinal flies up.

                    Cheers,
                    Mike

                    Guess who won both debates?

                  • juliet@firinn.org
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                      On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 08:09:22AM -0500, Hugh Davis wrote:
                      > Thank you. I need to read up on this in the Companion. I'd love to find out
                      > more about the production.
                      >
                      > Does the fact their only take was MN suggest they were following the
                      > chronology (just to stir that pot)?

                      Er, doesn't the mail below say "the 1959 LWW" and nothing about
                      Magician's Nephew? Maybe I missed something.

                      > >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
                      > >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"
                      > >Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:56:17 -0800
                      > >
                      > >At 06:39 AM 12/1/2005 -0500, Hugh Davis wrote:
                      > > >I did not know about this radio version. Were the other Chronicles
                      > >adapted
                      > > >during Lewis' lifetime? Do any copies exist?
                      > >
                      > >Walter Hooper's Lewis Companion lists the 1959 LWW as the only Chronicle
                      > >radio dramatization in Lewis's lifetime. (There have been others since.)
                      > >It says nothing about whether it still exists in any form (a lot of radio
                      > >in those days was live and never recorded).
                      > >
                      > >DB

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Hugh Davis
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                        Well, I was partly being facetious. It's interesting that they adapted that
                        one, but it is one that is much better for radio than television (at least
                        at that time), in terms of the scope of the imagination.

                        >From: WendellWag@...
                        >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] CSL on live-action Aslan: "Blasphemy"
                        >Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:11:17 EST
                        >

                        >In a message dated 12/3/2005 8:11:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        >HughHDavis@... writes:
                        >
                        >Does the fact their only take was MN suggest they were following the
                        >chronology (just to stir that pot)?
                        >

                        >That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
                        >publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
                        >way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
                        >re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
                        >by the
                        >Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
                        >constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated
                        >any thought
                        >about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
                        >doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.
                        >
                        >Wendell Wagner

                      • Hugh Davis
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                          The letter (on http://www.nthposition.com/blasphemyinnarnia.php) says
                          Magician's Nephew in brackets, so I had that in my head as the one adapted.

                          Perhaps I'm wrong, and I admit I didn't know about this radio version before
                          this thread. Will someone confirm?

                          Hugh

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                            At 02:23 PM 12/3/2005 -0500, Hugh Davis wrote:
                            >The letter (on http://www.nthposition.com/blasphemyinnarnia.php) says
                            >Magician's Nephew in brackets, so I had that in my head as the one adapted.

                            And that is what the news article originally quoted by Patrick Wynne (based
                            on the letter, presumably) says too, which I didn't notice when I wrote
                            about the 1959 LWW.

                            But Hooper's Companion, my source, is very clear that it was LWW. He gives
                            a cast list, and I do not recall Peter, Susan, Edmund, Lucy, and Mr Tumnus
                            appearing in The Magician's Nephew.

                            I suspect what happened is this: whoever added the bracketed reference to
                            MN to the letter had registered that the book dramatized was the first of
                            the Chronicles, and then went to look at a current copy and found that MN
                            was the "first"!!!

                            Yet another example of the toxicity of the change of ordering.

                            David Bratman
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                              At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                              >We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                              >Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                              >conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
                              >severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.
                              >
                              >Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.

                              That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
                              feeling that way.

                              However, it need not prove that the reordering is better. After all, by
                              your own account you had read LWW, PC, and VDT before you first read MN.
                              So in fact your first-reading order (the ordering debate is not meant to
                              apply to subsequent readings) was closer to a publication-first order than
                              to a chronological order, even though it was not exactly the same as either.

                              The one good argument against publication-first order is that Lewis became
                              a better writer as he went along through the Chronicles. Or at least I'd
                              agree with that statement, though that hasn't prevented LWW from becoming
                              the most indispensable classic volume of the set (which is why the first
                              movie was made of it, and why, for instance, children's lit expert K.V.
                              Johansen believes you should read LWW first, even though she accepts the
                              chronological order). But despite Lewis's improving writing I'd call the
                              best books SC (my own favorite of the set) and HHB, as MN and LB, though
                              written later, to my mind suffer slightly from being too concerned with
                              wrapping up beginnings and endings.

                              David Bratman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                                In a message dated 12/3/2005 11:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                WendellWag@... writes:

                                That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
                                publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
                                way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
                                re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
                                by the
                                Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
                                constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any
                                thought
                                about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
                                doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.

                                When I wrote that, I was *not* discussing whether the publication or the
                                chronological ordering is "better." That's an argument about literary opinion,
                                and while I have an opinion about it, I'm willing to concede that there's an
                                argument for each side. On the subject of whether the subject of the
                                ordering of the books even came up before the mid-1990's though, I don't think
                                there's any question. No one even discussed the issue of the ordering before
                                then. The only reason that the change happened is because of the taste of
                                Douglas Gresham.

                              • Mike Foster
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                                  This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
                                  suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
                                  would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
                                  enrolled as of week 4?

                                  Mike

                                  WendellWag@... wrote:

                                  >In a message dated 12/3/2005 11:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  >WendellWag@... writes:
                                  >
                                  >That's unlikely. Until the books were re-ordered in the mid-1990's by the
                                  >publishers, hardly anyone even thought about the books being ordered in any
                                  >way except for the publication order. The only reason that the books got
                                  >re-ordered is that Douglas Gresham, who essentially controls any decisions
                                  >by the
                                  >Estate, decided that he liked the new ordering. The letter that they
                                  >constantly cite is a hopelessly flimsy excuse. Lewis never communicated any
                                  >thought
                                  >about re-ordering the books to anyone else except that one child, and that
                                  >doesn't sound like anything except him being nice to the kid.
                                  >

                                  >When I wrote that, I was *not* discussing whether the publication or the
                                  >chronological ordering is "better." That's an argument about literary opinion,
                                  >and while I have an opinion about it, I'm willing to concede that there's an
                                  >argument for each side. On the subject of whether the subject of the
                                  >ordering of the books even came up before the mid-1990's though, I don't think
                                  >there's any question. No one even discussed the issue of the ordering before
                                  >then. The only reason that the change happened is because of the taste of
                                  >Douglas Gresham.
                                  >
                                  >Wendell Wagner

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Mike Foster
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                                    David Bratman wrote:

                                    >At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                                    >

                                    >>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                                    >>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                                    >>conference Nov. 3. Applauders included me. Though I had tried
                                    >>severally to read in the publication order, never got further than VotDT.
                                    >>
                                    >>Bought the reordered set & sped through those puppies.
                                    >>

                                    >That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
                                    >feeling that way.

                                    Obviously others were applauding to in Nashville.

                                    >However, it need not prove that the reordering is better. After all, by
                                    >your own account you had read LWW, PC, and VDT before you first read MN.
                                    >So in fact your first-reading order (the ordering debate is not meant to
                                    >apply to subsequent readings) was closer to a publication-first order than
                                    >to a chronological order, even though it was not exactly the same as either.
                                    >
                                    >The one good argument against publication-first order is that Lewis became
                                    >a better writer as he went along through the Chronicles.

                                    Agreed! LWW has some of the same flaws of Out of the Silent Planet
                                    Perelandra, to a lesser extent in the second but Lord, Perel. drags. THS is the best written of
                                    the Ransom trilogy but as John Rateliff so aptly said, OotSP, attempts
                                    least but succeeds most.

                                    For short but more detailed observations on this, interested readers can
                                    post me separately.

                                    So LLW has that same baby-lion's-first-stumbling-steps charm.

                                    But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
                                    CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

                                    Mike

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 3, 2005
                                      At 08:03 PM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                                      >>That's very interesting; you're the first person I've encountered to report
                                      >>feeling that way.
                                      >>
                                      >Obviously others were applauding to[o] in Nashville.

                                      Not clear exactly what aspect they were applauding. Your story - which,
                                      don't forget, essentially amounts to finding MN easier to read AFTER you'd
                                      already read LWW, apparently more than once - remains the only one I know
                                      that thereby leads to a preference for the MN-first order.

                                      >This rather reminds of some of my more purist JRRT students who
                                      >suggested beginning course readings with The Silmarillion. Right, I
                                      >would say. And who besides the three or two of you wd. be still be
                                      >enrolled as of week 4?

                                      Beginning Narnia with LWW would only remind me of beginning Tolkien's
                                      legendarium with The Silmarillion if LWW were as difficult and challenging
                                      as The Silmarillion. Not very likely.

                                      DB
                                    • Stolzi
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
                                        > But if Tolkien and Rowling have what Auden called "the nominative gift",
                                        > CSL lacks it. Rumblebuffin?

                                        Umm, I =like= "Rumblebuffin." I think there are far more problematic names
                                        elsewhere in Lewis. Bardia? Redival? I never even cared much for "Elwin" as
                                        Ransom's first name, Tolkien-tribute though it may be.

                                        Elwin Ransom
                                        Was very handsome.
                                        He kindled in Jane a romantic spark,
                                        But then sent her back to silly old Mark.

                                        Diamond Proudbrook
                                      • Stolzi
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005

                                          >>At 10:25 AM 12/3/2005 -0600, Mike Foster wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >>>We discussed this yesterday when Far Westfarthing smial discussed LWW.
                                          >>>Gresham had defended his re-ordering at Belmont University's CSL
                                          >>>conference Nov. 3.

                                          Where or when did he do that, Mike? I asked him a question at the banquet
                                          which touched on this, but don't remember such a specific defense in his
                                          answer; but then I have a memory like a sieve, and I don't mean a Pensieve.

                                          Diamond Proudbrook
                                        • Mike Foster
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 4, 2005
                                            At the
                                            banquet on Nov. 3, during the Q&A after his speech.

                                            Reepicheep is the worst nominative offender.

                                            Mike