Re: can anyone recommend books/videos for a 10-yr-old girl?

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 29, 2005
      Thanks, everyone who recommended fantasy fare for my
      10-year-old niece.
      I've had a chance to take some of them out from the library to
      preview.

      ROWAN HOOD by Nancy Springer is a definite keeper. Well
      written & an original take on a much-retold tale.

      THE GAMMAGE CUP was tons of fun, and I'd never heard of it
      before. I'm not sure whether it will be my niece's cup of tea, but
      I'm glad I read it, whether I decide to buy it for her or not.

      I can see what people mean about Tamora Pierce, both pro &
      con. The writing style doesn't exactly sing, to say the least, but it's
      easy to see how this story could appeal to girls looking for
      powerful role models. And I was intrigued by the inclusion of a
      religious duty to balance violence with healing -- something
      that's not a usual part of the standard tomboy-princess plot.
      However, it turns out my niece has already read ALANNA, so it's
      off the gift list no matter what. I'm hoping to introduce some
      things she hasn't encountered yet.

      I've also started reading Tanith Lee's PIRATICA, which no one
      recommended but I found in the YA section of the local library.
      So far it seems promising, but I'm not sure whether 10 is the
      right age for it.

      I'm also thinking of making Lloyd Alexander's THE ROPE TRICK
      part of the package. It has a very strong heroine, even if she's not
      a warrior.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean
      <margdean@e...> wrote:

      > "Pauline J. Alama" wrote:
      >
      > > BTW, does anyone else remember reading Alexander Key's
      sf/fantasy
      > > kidlit? I went through quite a Key craze at about 11-12 years
      of
      > > age. A few years ago, I tried to find them for a friend's son &
      they
      > > were almost all out of print. Too bad.
      >
      > Yes! Several of them at least. The one I got out of the library
      > multiple times was THE FORGOTTEN DOOR; ESCAPE TO
      WITCH MOUNTAIN
      > is also his, yes? And I believe I still have the copy of FLIGHT
      > TO THE LONESOME PLACE that was a present from a friend
      of my
      > dad's.
      >

      > --Margaret Dean
      > <margdean@e...>

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 30, 2005
        A little late, but...

        At 10 I loved the Narnia books and Lloyd Alexander. When a little
        older I found U K Le Guin, who has become a life-long favorite. My
        daughter was fond of several authors, I will ask her what she
        remembers reading. I think that "The Door in the Wall" by
        Marguerite De Angeli was high on her list. I also very much recommend
        Patricia A. McKillip "The Changeling Sea" - and Jane Yolen in general
        -- particularly for young girls. These are authors I had my fantasy
        literature class read last summer-- 10-12 year olds. They have youth
        friendly web sites, Yolen is very active in children's literature in
        general.

        Jane Yolen:
        http://www.janeyolen.com/

        Patricia A. McKillip, "The Changeling Sea"
        http://www.patriciamckillip.com/Books/sea.htm

        U. K Le Guin
        http://www.ursulakleguin.com/

        For those who are also fans of Le Guin, here is something both odd & neat:
        http://www.overduemedia.com/archive.aspx?strip=20050918

        Lezlie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@e...> wrote:

        > Thanks, everyone who recommended fantasy fare for my
        > 10-year-old niece.
        > I've had a chance to take some of them out from the library to
        > preview.
        >
        > ROWAN HOOD by Nancy Springer is a definite keeper. Well
        > written & an original take on a much-retold tale.
        >
        > THE GAMMAGE CUP was tons of fun, and I'd never heard of it
        > before. I'm not sure whether it will be my niece's cup of tea, but
        > I'm glad I read it, whether I decide to buy it for her or not.
        >
        > I can see what people mean about Tamora Pierce, both pro &
        > con. The writing style doesn't exactly sing, to say the least, but it's
        > easy to see how this story could appeal to girls looking for
        > powerful role models. And I was intrigued by the inclusion of a
        > religious duty to balance violence with healing -- something
        > that's not a usual part of the standard tomboy-princess plot.
        > However, it turns out my niece has already read ALANNA, so it's
        > off the gift list no matter what. I'm hoping to introduce some
        > things she hasn't encountered yet.
        >
        > I've also started reading Tanith Lee's PIRATICA, which no one
        > recommended but I found in the YA section of the local library.
        > So far it seems promising, but I'm not sure whether 10 is the
        > right age for it.
        >
        > I'm also thinking of making Lloyd Alexander's THE ROPE TRICK
        > part of the package. It has a very strong heroine, even if she's not
        > a warrior.
        >
        > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean
        > <margdean@e...> wrote:
        > >
        > > "Pauline J. Alama" wrote:
        > >
        > > > BTW, does anyone else remember reading Alexander Key's
        > sf/fantasy
        > > > kidlit? I went through quite a Key craze at about 11-12 years
        > of
        > > > age. A few years ago, I tried to find them for a friend's son &
        > they
        > > > were almost all out of print. Too bad.
        > >
        > > Yes! Several of them at least. The one I got out of the library
        > > multiple times was THE FORGOTTEN DOOR; ESCAPE TO
        > WITCH MOUNTAIN
        > > is also his, yes? And I believe I still have the copy of FLIGHT
        > > TO THE LONESOME PLACE that was a present from a friend
        > of my
        > > dad's.
        > >

        > > --Margaret Dean
        > > <margdean@e...>

      • Ellen
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
          Lezlie wrote:

          ><snip>
          >
          >Jane Yolen:
          >http://www.janeyolen.com/

          I second the Jane Yolen recommendation.

          I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
          mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
          Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
          tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
          adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
          befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
          pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
          Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
          three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
          checking it out!

          Ellen Denham

        • AMV Howard
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
            In addition to Spirited Away, I could almost recommend Kiki's Delivery
            Service and Howl's Moving Castle (the latter based on the book by Diana
            Wynne Jones); I say almost because Miyazaki does tend to go for the upskirt
            shots (and other very, very mild implied sexuality); probably nothing that a
            10 year old would even notice, but better forewarned than not.

            /A

            --
            Alana Vincent Howard
            Prescott College

            770.419.8727

          • Walter Padgett
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
              On 12/1/05, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

              > I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
              > mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
              > Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
              > tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
              > adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
              > befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
              > pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
              > Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
              > three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
              > checking it out!
              >
              > Ellen Denham

              Yes. I loved =Spirited Away.= What was especially interesting was
              the old grandfather character, and the way he talked to the little
              girl. He scolded her mercilessly in private, but his actions showed
              her that he cared for her quite deeply. He was willing to give her
              the train tickets she needed, and he got her a job by bribing someone
              with a mysterious black noodle. That was funny. I think our daughter
              was probably 8 or 9 when we watched it together. She is 11 now, and
              we still refer to it, occasionally. It changed the way we saw things,
              a little. I think it is a great movie.

              Walter Padgett
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
                Ellen & Walter,
                You are correct, Ms. & Sir.

                David Emerson gave me & Jo this as a beer & pizza gift when he came down
                to Metamora to jam with a Fine Kettle of Fish on our way to Mythcon in
                Nashville in '03 or in Ann Arbor in '04. The fact that central to
                Illinois from St. Paul to Nashville makes much more sense than to U.
                Michigan leads me to believe it was '04.

                It is brilliant. Circe myth evoked, Hansel & Gretel reversed, Disney's
                Pinocchio, Edge-O-Phobia & Jackson's Moria Staggering Staircases also
                well done.

                Like every truly great tale as old as Sir Gawaine & Treasure Island or
                CSL & JRRT, or as recent as Yolen-Stemple's Pay the Piper or
                Horvath-Wiles Line Drives: 100 Contemporary Baseball Poems, it is about
                Redemption.

                And about two hours long.

                Heed Ellen's & Padgett's advice: Foster's advice.

                Mike

                Walter Padgett wrote:

                >On 12/1/05, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:
                >

                >>I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
                >>mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
                >>Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
                >>tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
                >>adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
                >>befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
                >>pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
                >>Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
                >>three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
                >>checking it out!
                >>
                >>Ellen Denham
                >>

                >Yes. I loved =Spirited Away.= What was especially interesting was
                >the old grandfather character, and the way he talked to the little
                >girl. He scolded her mercilessly in private, but his actions showed
                >her that he cared for her quite deeply. He was willing to give her
                >the train tickets she needed, and he got her a job by bribing someone
                >with a mysterious black noodle. That was funny. I think our daughter
                >was probably 8 or 9 when we watched it together. She is 11 now, and
                >we still refer to it, occasionally. It changed the way we saw things,
                >a little. I think it is a great movie.
                >
                >Walter Padgett

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
                  I'd just like to add my voice to Ellen's, Walter's, and Amy's praise
                  of Hayao Miyazaki's work: there's a reason he's widely viewed as the
                  finest animated filmmaker in the world. I'd recommend KIKI'S DELIVERY
                  SERVICE as perfect for that age group: it's the story of a thirteen-
                  year-old girl setting out to make a place for herself in the world.
                  MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO skews slightly younger, but it's the film he's
                  most loved for in Japan. SPIRITED AWAY is a wonderful fairy tale that
                  skews slightly older. THE CAT RETURNS, his studio's latest release
                  but made by a different director (he and his partner are trying to
                  groom a next generation of talent to take over after they're gone),
                  is good lighthearted fun aimed squarely at that age group.
                  The whole Studio Ghilbi film catalogue is worth checking out for
                  anyone at all interested in animation or fantasy film, ranging from
                  GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (a truly heartbreaking tale about a brother
                  and sister orphaned by Allied firebombing in WWII Japan*) to
                  NAUSICAA: THE VALLEY OF THE WIND (a girl trying to stop a war and
                  ecological devastation in a post-apocalyptic world; generally
                  considered his masterpiece) to PORCO ROSSO (a WWI flier trying to
                  make a living as a freelance pilot in the 1920s Adriatic after having
                  been turned into a giant pig) to PRINCESS MONONOKI (a brutal fight
                  between those defending the wilderness and those who want to
                  modernize), and much more, from quiet slice-of-life tales of first
                  love (WHISPERS OF THE HEART) to a dystopian little micro-film that
                  tells its entire story in five minutes (ON YOUR MARK). Luckily, the
                  huge anime boom of the last few years means that these films have
                  finally all been released over here: for years Disney, which bought
                  up the US rights, would neither release them nor allow anyone else to
                  do so.

                  --JDR

                  *do NOT watch this one without a plentiful supply of kleenix in the
                  house