Re: [mythsoc] Kreeft

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 29, 2005
      On Nov 29, 2005, at 4:22 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:

      > Never mind that twice before Kreeft has compared Frodo not to
      > Christ but to Mary, calling his acceptance of the Ring at the
      > Council of Elrond his "Marian moment".

      But surely the fact that Frodo can be compared to Mary in some
      respects, doesn't preclude his being compared to Christ in other
      respects -- or vice versa?

      > that "God and his angels" don't sing the world into existence in
      > both books (Illuvatar lets the Ainur subcreate Middle-earth but
      > doesn't sing himself;

      But he does: Il├║vatar "propound[s] to them themes of music" and
      "declare[s] to them a mighty theme", which they "show forth their
      powers in adorning" (S:15). The sub-creation of the Ainur was just
      that: _sub-_creation, all done under Eru, and by Eru _through_ them,
      all within the theme that _he_ devised: "each of you shall find
      contained herein, _amid the design that I set before you_, all those
      things which _it may seem_ that he himself devised or
      added" (emphasis added).