RE: [mythsoc] Kreeft

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 29, 2005
      I haven't seen any discussion of the Rutledge here yet, but I thought it
      was quite good -- though perhaps those with more knowledge about
      Christianity might notice problems I didn't.

      Janet

      Which raises the question: of the many books that have come out in the
      last few years on Tolkien and religion, are there any that folks here
      would recommend? Dickerson and Rutledge sound like the cream of the crop
      from what I've heard so far, but I haven't read either yet.

      --JDR
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 29, 2005
        On Nov 29, 2005, at 4:22 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:

        > Never mind that twice before Kreeft has compared Frodo not to
        > Christ but to Mary, calling his acceptance of the Ring at the
        > Council of Elrond his "Marian moment".

        But surely the fact that Frodo can be compared to Mary in some
        respects, doesn't preclude his being compared to Christ in other
        respects -- or vice versa?

        > that "God and his angels" don't sing the world into existence in
        > both books (Illuvatar lets the Ainur subcreate Middle-earth but
        > doesn't sing himself;

        But he does: Il├║vatar "propound[s] to them themes of music" and
        "declare[s] to them a mighty theme", which they "show forth their
        powers in adorning" (S:15). The sub-creation of the Ainur was just
        that: _sub-_creation, all done under Eru, and by Eru _through_ them,
        all within the theme that _he_ devised: "each of you shall find
        contained herein, _amid the design that I set before you_, all those
        things which _it may seem_ that he himself devised or
        added" (emphasis added).