C S Lewis, Supersmoker?

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2005
      This story says that the picture of the artist-illustrator on new editions
      of children's classic =Goodnight, Moon= by Margaret Wise Brown has been
      retouched to remove his cigarette.

      http://www.columbiatribune.com/2005/Nov/20051119News012.asp

      "Remember the tiny tots," as Stan Freberg once put it.

      http://lists.spunge.org/funny-bone/archive/msg00268.html

      I just checked, and artist Clement Hurd lived to be eighty - by the way -
      cigs or no cigs.

      I got to wondering about the famous smoke-wreathed photo (perhaps one of my
      favorites) of C S Lewis and whether it's gone from public view. Of course I
      never remember =any= author photo appearing on editions of his only
      children's books, the Narnia stories.

      The publisher in both cases is HarperCollins.

      Well, i went through several pages' worth of Google Images before finding
      it: http://www.rocky.edu/~casselj/csl13.jpg

      Can't resist sharing this cartoon though:
      http://www.geocities.com/bartooncentral/archives/cotd_038.gif

      I was also puzzled by a Google Image of a miffed-looking white cat turning
      up in the search; it turned out to be in proximity to this Lewis quote,
      which I don't recognize. Do folks think it is authentic?

      "You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
      "- C.S. Lewis. British novelist, 1898-1963 "

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2005
        The USPS did the same with bluesman Robert Johnson's smoke on the blues
        masters stamps 4 or so years ago.

        That's my favorite photo of CSL, by the way. Those who knew said that
        one was him--the quizzical brow, the locomotive gathering steam for
        argument.

        George Sayer said his last visit to CSL began with CSL saying, "For
        God's sake, man, if ever you loved me, get me some cigarettes."

        The 'toon was a hoot.

        Mike