Library Journal/ Aslan is on the Move

  • Cai Cherie
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2005
      In PublicLibraryLand, much of our book ordering depends on what is featured in "Library Journal." And the Nov 15th issue has a 2 page spread on Lewis and all the new books coming out called "Aslan Is on the Move." I will try to give a faint idea of what it includes and whether your local library will be buying it.

      Narnia Beckons/ Ted Baehr & James Baehr
      "A good starting point for those who have not read the series."

      Inside Narnia / Devin Brown
      "Highly recommended"

      Into the Wardrobe / David Downing
      "For all collections"

      The C S Lewis Chronicles / Colin Duriez
      "A treasure trove of information for the fan and novice alike, this may not be an essential purchase, but it is warmly recommended for extensive collections" (I hate the comma instead of a semi-comma)

      Further Up and Further In / Bruce Edwards
      "Of particular interest are background notes that examine key characters and elements of the story, such as the wardrobe, Turkish delight and deep magic."

      Jack's Life / Douglas Gresham
      "This is a good purchase for general collections"

      The Keys to the Chronicles / Marvin Hinten
      "Ideal for students and advanced readers."

      The Narnian / Alan Jacobs
      " * (This is a star. That means everyone should buy it.) Highly recommended."

      Revisiting Narnia / ed. Shanna Caughey
      "For serious literary collections."

      The World According to Narnia / Jonathan Rogers
      "Those already familiar with the stories needing a deeper perspective on their Christian roots will greatly benefit from Roger's insight." ( Is there something dangeling in there, a lack of of punctuation or just me being tetchy? )

      The Way to Narnia / Peter Schakel
      "* An accessible and important contibution to the Narnia scholarship; highly recommended." (--the- Narnia scholarship? And I also would ojbect to using a semi-colon instead of a comma.)

      C S Lewis and Narnia For Dummies / Richard Wagener
      "A wonderful resource for public library collections."

      I have not read all the books so I cannot say how I feel about the selection or short reviews. But am I wrong to think the editing looks a tad off?

      Cai

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2005
        From: "Cai Cherie" <eternityfindsitself@...>

        > Jack's Life / Douglas Gresham
        > "This is a good purchase for general collections"

        I bought a copy of this at Past Watchful Dragons, and Mr. Gresham signed it.

        What bugs me is that it is obviously, and on the last page explicitly, a
        life of CSL for =children=, but this is never mentioned in the marketing,
        nor, apparently, by the person who wrote the notes you quote.

        Diamond Proudbrook