Re: [mythsoc] HARRY POTTER NEWS PUSHED BACK

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18 10:40 AM
      I'll be suspicious of any blurbs I ever see from Lorenzo di Bonaventura.
      Is this person for real? Or a house pseudonym like Betty Crocker of
      Carolyn Davis?

      fun and light reading, yes. "timeless literary achievement," no. _Polar
      Express_ comes a lot closer, but even that's not "once in a lifetime."
      Harry Potter may be the kind of publishing sensation that comes once in a
      lifetime, and it might become a better film than a book, though I'll be
      pleasantly surprised, if so.

      --David Lenander

      Message 2 of 2 , May 18 6:11 PM
        In a message dated 5/18/00 1:37:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        d-lena@... writes:

        < I'll be suspicious of any blurbs I ever see from Lorenzo
        > di Bonaventura. Is this person for real? Or a house
        > pseudonym like Betty Crocker or Carolyn Davis?

        Well, if he's a pseudonym, Warner Brothers seems to have gone extraordinary
        lengths to create the impression that he's real. Put his name into a search
        engine and see just how many news stories there are in which he's mentioned.

        What would you expect the president of a film company to say about a novel
        that it's bought at great expense?: "There's a decent but not great novel
        that we're making a film of. It's really somewhat overrated, but maybe we
        can turn out a moderately good movie. Well, to be honest, it's probably
        going to be a disappointment to everybody involved, and I'll probably lose my
        job over it."