HARRY POTTER NEWS PUSHED BACK

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2000
      HARRY POTTER NEWS PUSHED BACK

      Warner Bros. has moved the release date of HARRY
      POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE from its summer
      2001 "tent pole" position to November 16th, 2001. The
      reason given: The project's slow start and the bevy of special
      effects involved in the fantasy story. Chris Columbus will
      start shooting Steve Kloves' adaptation of HARRY POTTER
      AND THE SORCERER'S STONE this summer in England.
      Warner Bros. has optioned the first four books in the series
      about an 11 year-old boy who learns that he is the orphaned
      son of two powerful wizards and that he possesses unique
      magical powers of his own, and are already planning a
      filmed version of HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF
      SECRETS. "Harry Potter is the kind of timeless literary
      achievement that comes around once in a lifetime," Warner
      Bros. production president Lorenzo di Bonaventura told
      Variety. Moving HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S
      STONE to Thanksgiving puts two high-profile projects into
      the holiday 2001 slot for the studio, the other being POLAR
      EXPRESS based on the best-selling children's book by
      Chris Van Allsburg.
      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists
    • qiena@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19, 2000
        In a message dated 05/19/2000 3:01:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        mythsoc@egroups.com writes:

        << "Harry Potter is the kind of timeless literary
        achievement that comes around once in a lifetime," Warner
        Bros. production president Lorenzo di Bonaventura told
        Variety. Moving HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S
        STONE to Thanksgiving puts two high-profile projects into
        the holiday 2001 slot for the studio, the other being POLAR
        EXPRESS based on the best-selling children's book by
        Chris Van Allsburg. >>

        I don't suppose that pushing HP to Thanksgiving '01 has anything whatsoever
        to do with preempting that *other* high profile project from a different
        studio, LORD OF THE RINGS. Naaahhh.

        Sharon

        "Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what
        is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil
        in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth
        to till. What weather they may have is not ours to rule."

        ~Gandalf