Re: George Sayers

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2005
      At 08:29 AM 11/18/2005, John Rateliffe wrote:
      >Sayers was an occasional visitor to the Inklings (wrong).

      Didn't he upon occasion attend the Tuesday pub meetings? If so, the
      problem is with the definition of "Inklings"--does one limit the term to
      the Thursday evening readings and discussion (as W. H. Lewis does) or does
      one expand it to include the Bird and Baby (as a number want to do, who
      attended those after the Thursday meetings had stopped)? I prefer W. H.
      Lewis's view (which Carpenter also supports), but I see lots of the looser
      usage.

      By the way, the small amount I've read of _The Narnian_ I've thought fairly
      good. I should have time to read the book through in a couple of weeks.

      --Joe
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2005
        Besides George Sayer [not Dorothy L. Sayers, right?], poets John Wain
        and Roy Campbell are two others who stopped by.

        We could be evoking the Rule of Zymurgy:
        "Once you open a can of worms, the only way to get them back in the can
        is to use a bigger can."

        Gopnik's big misstep was not using G. Sayer's Jack. First of many
        stumbles. Hit it again, David and John! Go Illini!

        Cheers,
        Mike

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 18, 2005
          At 11:54 AM 11/18/2005 -0600, Joe R. Christopher wrote:
          >At 08:29 AM 11/18/2005, John Rateliffe wrote:
          >>Sayers was an occasional visitor to the Inklings (wrong).
          >
          >Didn't he upon occasion attend the Tuesday pub meetings?

          No such person as George Sayers, at least as far as the Inklings are concerned.

          You were thinking of George Sayer. John Rateliff, however (no such person
          as John Rateliffe either) was thinking of Sayers. Forenamed Dorothy L.
          You know her.

          Lewis wrote categorically of DLS, "she never met our own club, and probably
          never knew of its existence."

          George Sayer, on the other hand, said that he'd been to a very few Thursday
          Inklings, and his presence is recorded at one in 1947 in Warnie's diary.

          DB
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 18, 2005
            John had G. Sayer and D. L. Sayers correct.

            By extension, Douglas Gresham, who told the Belmont University banquet
            audience he had been trundled to a few Inklings B&B sessions and put
            aside with a half a pint, and Mark Colin Havard, son of Robert AKA
            Humphrey, who I met at the first Gathering of the Fellowship in Toronto
            in January, 2003, spoke of much the same happening to him occasionally
            at 17 or so, could be added to this bigger kettle of fish.

            Cheers,
            Mike