Andre Norton, Alexander Key

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2005
      Andre Norton: THE ZERO STONE is her masterpiece. BREED TO COME is also very good. After that, there are about a dozen or so that are equally good, but I'd let her start with one of those two. Avoid WITCH WORLD or the others marked as adults; it's at the juveniles/young adults that Norton excels.

      Alexander Key: one of the great who's never gotten the recognition he deserved. THE FORGOTTEN DOOR, by all means; that book still has an honored place on my shelves. Also, as Margaret Dean pointed out, ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN; both stories about finding the place where you belong.

      Also excellent for that same age group are THE MAD SCIENTISTS CLUB and DETECTIVES IN TOGAS, though I don't remember the authors' names of those two offhand.

      Videos: A little late, but I'd like to second the recommendation of KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE, which I think would be the perfect animated film for someone that age. THE CAT RETURNS, by the same studio but not the same director, would also be a good choice.

      And, just because it didn't get mentioned earlier, Patricia Wrede's TALKING TO DRAGONS is a very good book indeed that both draws on and plays with all the fairy-tale classic motifs in a way that both kids and adults can enjoy. No female knight (for that, wait a few years and treat her to Elizabeth Moon's SHEEPFARMER'S DAUGHTER, which traces the story of the heroine from runaway farm girl to paladin) but the young fire witch who's trying to learn to control her temper is a good character.

      --JDR

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 18, 2005
        Two big thumbs up high from Mythsoc members Jo & Mike Foster for
        DETECTIVES IN TOGAS.

        What about Robert Lawson's classic RABBIT HILL and THE TOUGH WINTER and
        BEN AND ME? The latter was made as a fine 'toon by Disney with Sterling
        Holloway voicing Amos the mouse.

        Ho lukos,
        Mike