can anyone recommend books/videos for a 10-yr-old girl?

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 15, 2005
      What books or videos would people recommend for a 10th birthday
      present for my niece, who is interested in "knights, especially girl
      knights"? I'd appreciate some recommendations.

      She has gotten a bad impression of Harry Potter from seeing part of
      one of the movies on an airplane, so those books are out of the
      running. But she loves ELLA ENCHANTED--I haven't read it myself, so I
      don't know what further reading that one would suggest. Her parents
      are a bit anti-fantasy, so she hasn't been exposed to a lot of the
      standard kids' fantasy fare, although my mom and I have shown her &
      her 8-year-old sister THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (the Errol Flynn
      classic), THE PRINCESS BRIDE, and THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD. They loved
      them all, though the 10-year-old made gagging sounds at the kissing
      scenes & acted so much like the boy being read the story in THE
      PRINCESS BRIDE that I just about fell over laughing. They seem rather
      easily scared by spookiy scenes (and whatever noththe 10-year-old
      watches, the 8-year-old will watch, too), so nothing too creepy,
      please.

      They are bilingual French Canadians, so either French or English works
      for them.

      Thanks!
      Pauline
    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 15, 2005
        Does she read "normal kid stuff" or are more grownup books ok? The
        movies "Labyrinth" and "The Dark Crystal" spring to mind on the video front.

        For children's fantasy, I recall enjoying the Susan Cooper books, the
        first one of which is "The Dark is Rising" if I recall correctly. I
        believe there were some strong female characters, though no "girl knights."

        The best thing I can think of with a female knight character are the
        books "The King's Peace" and "The King's Name" by Jo Walton, though
        these are not kids' books. There is a rape scene, though not very
        graphic. Ten might be a little young.

        I'm not a good judge of what qualify as children's books because I did
        not read much literature as a child that was geared towards children.
        My favorite books at age 8 were LotR, Watership Down, and Ben Hur.

        Perhaps someone who has been on the MFA award committee for children's
        books can comment on some possibilities.

        Ellen Denham

        Pauline J. Alama wrote:

        >What books or videos would people recommend for a 10th birthday
        >present for my niece, who is interested in "knights, especially girl
        >knights"? I'd appreciate some recommendations.
        >
        >She has gotten a bad impression of Harry Potter from seeing part of
        >one of the movies on an airplane, so those books are out of the
        >running. But she loves ELLA ENCHANTED--I haven't read it myself, so I
        >don't know what further reading that one would suggest. Her parents
        >are a bit anti-fantasy, so she hasn't been exposed to a lot of the
        >standard kids' fantasy fare, although my mom and I have shown her &
        >her 8-year-old sister THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (the Errol Flynn
        >classic), THE PRINCESS BRIDE, and THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD. They loved
        >them all, though the 10-year-old made gagging sounds at the kissing
        >scenes & acted so much like the boy being read the story in THE
        >PRINCESS BRIDE that I just about fell over laughing. They seem rather
        >easily scared by spookiy scenes (and whatever noththe 10-year-old
        >watches, the 8-year-old will watch, too), so nothing too creepy,
        >please.
        >
        >They are bilingual French Canadians, so either French or English works
        >for them.
        >
        >Thanks!
        >Pauline

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 15, 2005
          "Pauline J. Alama" wrote:

          > What books or videos would people recommend for a 10th birthday
          > present for my niece, who is interested in "knights, especially girl
          > knights"? I'd appreciate some recommendations.

          If they liked Errol Flynn and THE PRINCESS BRIDE, definitely look
          for THE COURT JESTER! No girl knights, but a girl fighter-type
          (at least at the beginning of the movie), and it's just about one
          of the funniest movies out there, with some =great= lines!

          ("The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison...")

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>
        • AMV Howard
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 15, 2005
            The first of the Susan Cooper books is "Over Sea, Under Stone," actually.
            And don't overlook the Lloyd Alexander books, either.
            Not thinking of any children's books with female knights.

            /A

            --
            Alana Vincent Howard
            Prescott College

            770.419.8727

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 15, 2005
              Well, there's the 1981 movie _Dragonslayer_. The two main female characters
              aren't knights, but they're interesting anyway. One has been disguised as a
              boy to avoid the annual requirement of a female virgin as a sacrifice to the
              dragon. The other is a princess who in a climatic scene has fixed the
              lottery to chose a sacrifice for the dragon so that she will be chosen herself.
              She knows that she has been saved for several years because her father, the
              king, has fixed the previous lotteries so that she wouldn't be chosen.

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 15, 2005
                The Jo Walton books are definitely not for children, even children who read LOTR, and not just because there's a rape scene. They're adult military novels. I wouldn't hand them to anyone under the age of 15 at least.

                There's a girl knight in Edward Eager's _Half Magic_, though her tournament triumph turns out to be a little hollow, to say the least. I wouldn't sell it as a "girl knight" book, but it's a delightful story and one of my favorites from that age.

                Speaking of classics with female protagonists that are perfect for age 10, how about Carol Kendall's _The Gammage Cup_?

                - David Bratman
              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 15, 2005
                  And I just got a copy of Court Jester at Fry's Electronics. They've done
                  a reasonable job of moving it to DVD.

                  Oh, and Wizard of Oz has just had a DVD re-release. Scaring but most
                  kids can handle it.

                  Moose loves Dark Crystal, and he hates violent/scary movies. And Kira is
                  no slouch.

                  And don't forget Polar Express is coming out real soon.

                  Mythically yours,
                  Lisa

                  Margaret Dean wrote:

                  >"Pauline J. Alama" wrote:
                  >

                  >>What books or videos would people recommend for a 10th birthday
                  >>present for my niece, who is interested in "knights, especially girl
                  >>knights"? I'd appreciate some recommendations.
                  >>

                  >If they liked Errol Flynn and THE PRINCESS BRIDE, definitely look
                  >for THE COURT JESTER! No girl knights, but a girl fighter-type
                  >(at least at the beginning of the movie), and it's just about one
                  >of the funniest movies out there, with some =great= lines!
                  >
                  >("The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison...")

                • Jay Hershberger
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 15, 2005
                    ("The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison...")

                    "The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."

                    Cheers,

                    Jay Hershberger

                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 16, 2005
                      And the best fantasy film we've seen in recent years that'd be perfect for a girl aged ten? _Ella Enchanted_.
                    • Sara Ciborski
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 16, 2005
                        The first two Susan Cooper books, Over Sea and Under Stone and The Dark is Rising, would be excellent for a good reader aged 10, though the latter's main character is a boy (but it doesn't matter--he's wonderful). However, when I recently re-read the whole series I was surprised to notice that her diction is rather adult. She uses languages metaphorically in a way that no 10-, 12- or even 16-year-old will find easy, more so as the series progresses. So I would recommend just those two, at least to begin.
                        But another suggestion is a relatively new book by Bruce Donehower, The Singing Tree: An Alchymical Fable. It's a beautiful story with elements from an ancient past woven into the present and features a delightful heroine. It might be just a little advanced for your niece--it reallly depends on her reading level. It could be saved for when she is 12, though, when for sure it would be appropriate.
                        I also (someone else mentioned him) recommend the Lloyd Alexander books.
                        How about myths? There are wonderful versions of tales from Greek, Norse, Indian, American Indian mythology interpreted for young readers.
                        Sara Ciborski
[...]

                        Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report

                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 16, 2005
                          I'm surprised no one's mentioned Tamora Pierce, though she might be better
                          a year or two down the line. She's got several female knight books out
                          there,
                          though titles escape me. I don't think her writing style is that great,
                          but the stories don't seem too violent, and would seem just what you're
                          looking for, if she's an intelligent reader. Would be good to stress that
                          female knights were rare, though women often had to defend their households.

                          I concur with David: Jo Walton's books would not be appropriate and Lloyd
                          Alexander is a great idea along with Susan Cooper. Also consider The
                          Echorium Sequence by Kate Roberts (three books; this is an over-arching
                          title for a trilogy). Genders are pretty even-handed, and Roberts has some

                          good stories. The Hobbit, Narnia and Mary Poppins, of course.

                          On the mundane front, consider Elizabeth Enright. I read *The Saturdays*
                          and *The Four Story Mistake* as a child and loved them. Beverly Cleary
                          might
                          be a good choice, too. *The Secret Garden* might be a bit older, but
                          keep it in mind for the future. ---djb

[...]

                          Service.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          http://mail2web.com/ .
                        • Sara Ciborski
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 16, 2005
                            No and no to Tamora Pierce's Alanna books. I read the first one out of curiosity (they are about a girl who seeks out and endures a training to become a knight by disguising herself as a boy) and was slightly nauseated by how predictable and trite it was. Well...I shouldn't be so adamant since young female readers may well find the books enjoyable (and they are certainly simple enough for a 10-year old). But if you believe, as I do, that what young readers read should be well written, then these books will not be on any recommended list.
                            Sara Ciborski

                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 16, 2005
                              Has anyone mentioned Madeleine L'Engle's excellent fantasies with a girl
                              protagonist? WRINKLE IN TIME and the rest?

                              Diamond Proudbrook
                            • William Perce
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 16, 2005
                                Your question reminded me of my own children's readings. I read LWW and the other Narnia stories as well as the Hobbit to all my children when they were little. My oldest son (18) is a Dungeon Master and LARP (Live Action Role Player). My youngest son (12) loves to read all matter of books. He recently discovered Duglas Adams and my 20 year old daughter is counting days down to the release of LWandW. She'll tell you that LWandW is her favorite. I'm partial to the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. You can get the BBC series (I think the Aslan is marvelous considering the lack of Computer Generation and the Lucy is sweet. Although, my daughter used to make fun of the way she spoke).

                                You may also want to turn her on to LFrank Baum. My daughter loved several books from the series including the first one "Wonderful Wizard of OZ" and "Ozma of Oz". Then your daughter can compare the movie to "Wonderful Wizard".

                                "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@...> wrote:
[...]

                                Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report

                                ---------------------------------

                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 16, 2005
                                  How about the Dragonrider series by McCaffrey? Susan Cooper series- Dark is
                                  Rising, Over sea, Under Stone, Madeline L'Engle Wrinkle in Time series.

                                  Steve Gaddis (recomendations by Carol)

                                • Pauline J. Alama
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 17, 2005
                                    A lot of her free-time reading is in French, so I'm a little unsure
                                    of its level (my own French is patchy) but from the cover design,
                                    I'd hazard a guess that it's juvenile or YA. The last time she was
                                    visiting, she was reading Norse mythology in French.
                                    Thanks for the recommendations.
                                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Ellen <carnimiriel@a...> wrote:

                                    > Does she read "normal kid stuff" or are more grownup books ok?
                                    The
                                    > movies "Labyrinth" and "The Dark Crystal" spring to mind on the
                                    video front.

                                    > For children's fantasy, I recall enjoying the Susan Cooper books,
                                    the
                                    > first one of which is "The Dark is Rising" if I recall correctly.
                                    > believe there were some strong female characters, though no "girl
                                    knights."

                                    > The best thing I can think of with a female knight character are
                                    the
                                    > books "The King's Peace" and "The King's Name" by Jo Walton,
                                    though
                                    > these are not kids' books. There is a rape scene, though not very
                                    > graphic. Ten might be a little young.
                                    >
                                    > I'm not a good judge of what qualify as children's books because I
                                    did
                                    > not read much literature as a child that was geared towards
                                    children.
                                    > My favorite books at age 8 were LotR, Watership Down, and Ben Hur.
                                    >
                                    > Perhaps someone who has been on the MFA award committee for
                                    children's
                                    > books can comment on some possibilities.
                                    >
                                    > Ellen Denham
                                    >
                                    > Pauline J. Alama wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >What books or videos would people recommend for a 10th birthday
                                    > >present for my niece, who is interested in "knights, especially
                                    girl
                                    > >knights"? I'd appreciate some recommendations.
                                    > >
                                    > >She has gotten a bad impression of Harry Potter from seeing part
                                    of
                                    > >one of the movies on an airplane, so those books are out of the
                                    > >running. But she loves ELLA ENCHANTED--I haven't read it myself,
                                    so I
                                    > >don't know what further reading that one would suggest. Her
                                    parents
                                    > >are a bit anti-fantasy, so she hasn't been exposed to a lot of
                                    the
                                    > >standard kids' fantasy fare, although my mom and I have shown her
                                    &
                                    > >her 8-year-old sister THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (the Errol
                                    Flynn
                                    > >classic), THE PRINCESS BRIDE, and THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD. They
                                    loved
                                    > >them all, though the 10-year-old made gagging sounds at the
                                    kissing
                                    > >scenes & acted so much like the boy being read the story in THE
                                    > >PRINCESS BRIDE that I just about fell over laughing. They seem
                                    rather
                                    > >easily scared by spookiy scenes (and whatever noththe 10-year-old
                                    > >watches, the 8-year-old will watch, too), so nothing too creepy,
                                    > >please.
                                    > >
                                    > >They are bilingual French Canadians, so either French or English
                                    works
                                    > >for them.
                                    > >
                                    > >Thanks!
                                    > >Pauline

                                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Croft, Janet B.
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 17, 2005
                                      Some of the Dragonrider books might have a bit too much snogging for a ten-year-old...I thing some of the sub-series -- maybe the Harper Hall series -- might be a bit less adult.

                                      Janet

                                      ________________________________

                                    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 17, 2005
                                        Tamora Pierce is not the greatest stylist (which I mentioned), but the
                                        qhestion of what seems trite and predictible depends upon what the child
                                        has read before. I was considering the subjects in question (female
                                        knights, small amount of violence and horror) and Pierce seemed to fit.
                                        Pierce is a little easy on her characters, but some kids
                                        may like that, and have a lower tolerance for suspense than I might have
                                        had, even as a kid. (I was reading Sherlock Holmes at twelve, which may
                                        be normal for intelligent readers, but I don't remember my classmates
                                        reading Conan Doyle at that age.) Ultimately, it comes down to the
                                        individual child.

                                        When do kids start becoming aware of literary merit in and of itself?
                                        I started noticing how Nancy Drew verbs sounded flat, and the mysteries
                                        trite, somewhere around the time I gave them up. Not sure how old I was.
                                        What troubles me is those who can't get through Tolkien, but lap up
                                        Robert Jordan. Pierce might be the girls' version of RJ. Frankly, Andre
                                        Norton and C. L. Moore might be better choices. Sherwood Smith's
                                        Wren series is terrific; I read them as an adult and loved them. (Had
                                        to find them in the Children's Junior Library, strangely enough.) Glad a
                                        new one is coming out.

                                        Anne McCaffrey's Harper series---of course. The Dragonrider series
                                        might be a little too mature, but a couple of years later, yes. ---djb

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 17, 2005
                                          If said girl has an older sister in the 14-15 range, Pay The Piper, new
                                          "rock'n'roll fairy tale" by Jane Yolen and her musician son Adam
                                          Stemple, is fine fey fun.

                                          Mike

                                        • Pauline J. Alama
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Nov 18, 2005
                                            Which Andre Norton book would you recommend for starters?
                                            (I vaguely remember reading some Andre Norton when I was about 11,
                                            but it was from the library, not my own, so I've forgotten the
                                            titles.)

                                            BTW, does anyone else remember reading Alexander Key's sf/fantasy
                                            kidlit? I went through quite a Key craze at about 11-12 years of
                                            age. A few years ago, I tried to find them for a friend's son & they
                                            were almost all out of print. Too bad.

                                            Pauline

                                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > Tamora Pierce is not the greatest stylist (which I mentioned), but
                                            the
                                            > qhestion of what seems trite and predictible depends upon what the
                                            child
                                            > has read before. I was considering the subjects in question
                                            (female
                                            > knights, small amount of violence and horror) and Pierce seemed to
                                            fit.
                                            > Pierce is a little easy on her characters, but some kids
                                            > may like that, and have a lower tolerance for suspense than I
                                            might have
                                            > had, even as a kid. (I was reading Sherlock Holmes at twelve,
                                            which may
                                            > be normal for intelligent readers, but I don't remember my
                                            classmates
                                            > reading Conan Doyle at that age.) Ultimately, it comes down to the
                                            > individual child.
                                            >

                                            > When do kids start becoming aware of literary merit in and of
                                            itself?
                                            > I started noticing how Nancy Drew verbs sounded flat, and the
                                            mysteries
                                            > trite, somewhere around the time I gave them up. Not sure how old
                                            I was.
                                            > What troubles me is those who can't get through Tolkien, but lap
                                            up
                                            > Robert Jordan. Pierce might be the girls' version of RJ.
                                            Frankly, Andre
                                            > Norton and C. L. Moore might be better choices. Sherwood Smith's
                                            > Wren series is terrific; I read them as an adult and loved them.
                                            (Had
                                            > to find them in the Children's Junior Library, strangely enough.)
                                            Glad a
                                            > new one is coming out.
                                            >
                                            > Anne McCaffrey's Harper series---of course. The Dragonrider
                                            series
                                            > might be a little too mature, but a couple of years later, yes. --
                                            -djb

                                            Terms of
                                            > Service.

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            ---
                                            > http://mail2web.com/ .

                                            book
                                            > Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy
                                            Writing a book
                                            > report

                                            of
                                            > Service.

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            -
                                            > http://mail2web.com/ .

                                          • Pauline J. Alama
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Nov 18, 2005
                                              No older sister, but I'll keep it in mind for four birthdays from
                                              this one. Time flies. I probably still have picture books squirreled
                                              away that seemed too mature for her when she was 3 or 4 & I forgot
                                              to take out when she was 6 or 7.

                                              Pauline

                                              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:

                                              > If said girl has an older sister in the 14-15 range, Pay The
                                              Piper, new
                                              > "rock'n'roll fairy tale" by Jane Yolen and her musician son Adam
                                              > Stemple, is fine fey fun.
                                              >
                                              > Mike
                                              >
                                              > dianejoy@e... wrote:
                                              >
                                              > >Tamora Pierce is not the greatest stylist (which I mentioned),
                                              but the
                                              > >qhestion of what seems trite and predictible depends upon what
                                              the child
                                              > >has read before. I was considering the subjects in question
                                              (female
                                              > >knights, small amount of violence and horror) and Pierce seemed
                                              to fit.
                                              > >Pierce is a little easy on her characters, but some kids
                                              > >may like that, and have a lower tolerance for suspense than I
                                              might have
                                              > >had, even as a kid. (I was reading Sherlock Holmes at twelve,
                                              which may
                                              > >be normal for intelligent readers, but I don't remember my
                                              classmates
                                              > >reading Conan Doyle at that age.) Ultimately, it comes down to
                                              the
                                              > >individual child.
                                              > >

                                              > >When do kids start becoming aware of literary merit in and of
                                              itself?
                                              > >I started noticing how Nancy Drew verbs sounded flat, and the
                                              mysteries
                                              > >trite, somewhere around the time I gave them up. Not sure how
                                              old I was.
                                              > >What troubles me is those who can't get through Tolkien, but lap
                                              up
                                              > >Robert Jordan. Pierce might be the girls' version of RJ.
                                              Frankly, Andre
                                              > >Norton and C. L. Moore might be better choices. Sherwood Smith's
                                              > >Wren series is terrific; I read them as an adult and loved
                                              them. (Had
                                              > >to find them in the Children's Junior Library, strangely enough.)
                                              Glad a
                                              > >new one is coming out.
                                              > >
                                              > >Anne McCaffrey's Harper series---of course. The Dragonrider
                                              series
                                              > >might be a little too mature, but a couple of years later, yes. -
                                              --djb

                                              Terms of
                                              > > Service.

                                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              ----
                                              > > http://mail2web.com/ .

                                              book
                                              > > Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy
                                              Writing a book
                                              > >report

                                              of
                                              > >Service.

                                              > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              > >mail2web - Check your email from the web at
                                              > >http://mail2web.com/ .

                                              > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • Margaret Dean
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Nov 18, 2005
                                                "Pauline J. Alama" wrote:

                                                > BTW, does anyone else remember reading Alexander Key's sf/fantasy
                                                > kidlit? I went through quite a Key craze at about 11-12 years of
                                                > age. A few years ago, I tried to find them for a friend's son & they
                                                > were almost all out of print. Too bad.

                                                Yes! Several of them at least. The one I got out of the library
                                                multiple times was THE FORGOTTEN DOOR; ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN
                                                is also his, yes? And I believe I still have the copy of FLIGHT
                                                TO THE LONESOME PLACE that was a present from a friend of my
                                                dad's.

                                                --Margaret Dean
                                                <margdean@...>
                                              • Pauline J. Alama
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Nov 29, 2005
                                                  Yes, you're right: Escape to Witch Mountain was his. I remember
                                                  that title because of the Disney movie, which did not really follow
                                                  the plot of the book. The rest of the titles are lost in the fogs of
                                                  memory, but I vaguely remember a story in which children with
                                                  chronic medical conditions develop psychic abilities that enable
                                                  them to teleport to a future world where they're cured, or
                                                  something like that. Lots of utopian visions of the future or other
                                                  worlds. A gentle imagination, full of hope. It would be fun to get
                                                  another look at his works.
                                                  Pauline

                                                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean
                                                  <margdean@e...> wrote:

                                                  > "Pauline J. Alama" wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > BTW, does anyone else remember reading Alexander Key's
                                                  sf/fantasy
                                                  > > kidlit? I went through quite a Key craze at about 11-12 years
                                                  of
                                                  > > age. A few years ago, I tried to find them for a friend's son &
                                                  they
                                                  > > were almost all out of print. Too bad.
                                                  >
                                                  > Yes! Several of them at least. The one I got out of the library
                                                  > multiple times was THE FORGOTTEN DOOR; ESCAPE TO
                                                  WITCH MOUNTAIN
                                                  > is also his, yes? And I believe I still have the copy of FLIGHT
                                                  > TO THE LONESOME PLACE that was a present from a friend
                                                  of my
                                                  > dad's.
                                                  >

                                                  > --Margaret Dean
                                                  > <margdean@e...>

                                                • Pauline J. Alama
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Nov 29, 2005
                                                    Thanks, everyone who recommended fantasy fare for my
                                                    10-year-old niece.
                                                    I've had a chance to take some of them out from the library to
                                                    preview.

                                                    ROWAN HOOD by Nancy Springer is a definite keeper. Well
                                                    written & an original take on a much-retold tale.

                                                    THE GAMMAGE CUP was tons of fun, and I'd never heard of it
                                                    before. I'm not sure whether it will be my niece's cup of tea, but
                                                    I'm glad I read it, whether I decide to buy it for her or not.

                                                    I can see what people mean about Tamora Pierce, both pro &
                                                    con. The writing style doesn't exactly sing, to say the least, but it's
                                                    easy to see how this story could appeal to girls looking for
                                                    powerful role models. And I was intrigued by the inclusion of a
                                                    religious duty to balance violence with healing -- something
                                                    that's not a usual part of the standard tomboy-princess plot.
                                                    However, it turns out my niece has already read ALANNA, so it's
                                                    off the gift list no matter what. I'm hoping to introduce some
                                                    things she hasn't encountered yet.

                                                    I've also started reading Tanith Lee's PIRATICA, which no one
                                                    recommended but I found in the YA section of the local library.
                                                    So far it seems promising, but I'm not sure whether 10 is the
                                                    right age for it.

                                                    I'm also thinking of making Lloyd Alexander's THE ROPE TRICK
                                                    part of the package. It has a very strong heroine, even if she's not
                                                    a warrior.

                                                    <margdean@e...> wrote:

                                                    > "Pauline J. Alama" wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > BTW, does anyone else remember reading Alexander Key's
                                                    sf/fantasy
                                                    > > kidlit? I went through quite a Key craze at about 11-12 years
                                                    of
                                                    > > age. A few years ago, I tried to find them for a friend's son &
                                                    they
                                                    > > were almost all out of print. Too bad.
                                                    >
                                                    > Yes! Several of them at least. The one I got out of the library
                                                    > multiple times was THE FORGOTTEN DOOR; ESCAPE TO
                                                    WITCH MOUNTAIN
                                                    > is also his, yes? And I believe I still have the copy of FLIGHT
                                                    > TO THE LONESOME PLACE that was a present from a friend
                                                    of my
                                                    > dad's.
                                                    >

                                                    > --Margaret Dean
                                                    > <margdean@e...>

                                                  • Lezlie
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Nov 30, 2005
                                                      A little late, but...

                                                      At 10 I loved the Narnia books and Lloyd Alexander. When a little
                                                      older I found U K Le Guin, who has become a life-long favorite. My
                                                      daughter was fond of several authors, I will ask her what she
                                                      remembers reading. I think that "The Door in the Wall" by
                                                      Marguerite De Angeli was high on her list. I also very much recommend
                                                      Patricia A. McKillip "The Changeling Sea" - and Jane Yolen in general
                                                      -- particularly for young girls. These are authors I had my fantasy
                                                      literature class read last summer-- 10-12 year olds. They have youth
                                                      friendly web sites, Yolen is very active in children's literature in
                                                      general.

                                                      Jane Yolen:
                                                      http://www.janeyolen.com/

                                                      Patricia A. McKillip, "The Changeling Sea"
                                                      http://www.patriciamckillip.com/Books/sea.htm

                                                      U. K Le Guin
                                                      http://www.ursulakleguin.com/

                                                      For those who are also fans of Le Guin, here is something both odd & neat:
                                                      http://www.overduemedia.com/archive.aspx?strip=20050918

                                                      Lezlie

                                                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@e...> wrote:

                                                      > Thanks, everyone who recommended fantasy fare for my
                                                      > 10-year-old niece.
                                                      > I've had a chance to take some of them out from the library to
                                                      > preview.
                                                      >
                                                      > ROWAN HOOD by Nancy Springer is a definite keeper. Well
                                                      > written & an original take on a much-retold tale.
                                                      >
                                                      > THE GAMMAGE CUP was tons of fun, and I'd never heard of it
                                                      > before. I'm not sure whether it will be my niece's cup of tea, but
                                                      > I'm glad I read it, whether I decide to buy it for her or not.
                                                      >
                                                      > I can see what people mean about Tamora Pierce, both pro &
                                                      > con. The writing style doesn't exactly sing, to say the least, but it's
                                                      > easy to see how this story could appeal to girls looking for
                                                      > powerful role models. And I was intrigued by the inclusion of a
                                                      > religious duty to balance violence with healing -- something
                                                      > that's not a usual part of the standard tomboy-princess plot.
                                                      > However, it turns out my niece has already read ALANNA, so it's
                                                      > off the gift list no matter what. I'm hoping to introduce some
                                                      > things she hasn't encountered yet.
                                                      >
                                                      > I've also started reading Tanith Lee's PIRATICA, which no one
                                                      > recommended but I found in the YA section of the local library.
                                                      > So far it seems promising, but I'm not sure whether 10 is the
                                                      > right age for it.
                                                      >
                                                      > I'm also thinking of making Lloyd Alexander's THE ROPE TRICK
                                                      > part of the package. It has a very strong heroine, even if she's not
                                                      > a warrior.
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean
                                                      > <margdean@e...> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > "Pauline J. Alama" wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > > BTW, does anyone else remember reading Alexander Key's
                                                      > sf/fantasy
                                                      > > > kidlit? I went through quite a Key craze at about 11-12 years
                                                      > of
                                                      > > > age. A few years ago, I tried to find them for a friend's son &
                                                      > they
                                                      > > > were almost all out of print. Too bad.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Yes! Several of them at least. The one I got out of the library
                                                      > > multiple times was THE FORGOTTEN DOOR; ESCAPE TO
                                                      > WITCH MOUNTAIN
                                                      > > is also his, yes? And I believe I still have the copy of FLIGHT
                                                      > > TO THE LONESOME PLACE that was a present from a friend
                                                      > of my
                                                      > > dad's.
                                                      > >

                                                      > > --Margaret Dean
                                                      > > <margdean@e...>

                                                    • Ellen
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
                                                        Lezlie wrote:

                                                        ><snip>
                                                        >
                                                        >Jane Yolen:
                                                        >http://www.janeyolen.com/

                                                        I second the Jane Yolen recommendation.

                                                        I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
                                                        mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
                                                        Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
                                                        tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
                                                        adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
                                                        befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
                                                        pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
                                                        Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
                                                        three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
                                                        checking it out!

                                                        Ellen Denham

                                                      • AMV Howard
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
                                                          In addition to Spirited Away, I could almost recommend Kiki's Delivery
                                                          Service and Howl's Moving Castle (the latter based on the book by Diana
                                                          Wynne Jones); I say almost because Miyazaki does tend to go for the upskirt
                                                          shots (and other very, very mild implied sexuality); probably nothing that a
                                                          10 year old would even notice, but better forewarned than not.

                                                          /A

                                                          --
                                                          Alana Vincent Howard
                                                          Prescott College

                                                          770.419.8727

                                                        • Walter Padgett
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
                                                            On 12/1/05, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:

                                                            > I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
                                                            > mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
                                                            > Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
                                                            > tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
                                                            > adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
                                                            > befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
                                                            > pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
                                                            > Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
                                                            > three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
                                                            > checking it out!
                                                            >
                                                            > Ellen Denham

                                                            Yes. I loved =Spirited Away.= What was especially interesting was
                                                            the old grandfather character, and the way he talked to the little
                                                            girl. He scolded her mercilessly in private, but his actions showed
                                                            her that he cared for her quite deeply. He was willing to give her
                                                            the train tickets she needed, and he got her a job by bribing someone
                                                            with a mysterious black noodle. That was funny. I think our daughter
                                                            was probably 8 or 9 when we watched it together. She is 11 now, and
                                                            we still refer to it, occasionally. It changed the way we saw things,
                                                            a little. I think it is a great movie.

                                                            Walter Padgett
                                                          • Mike Foster
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Dec 1, 2005
                                                              Ellen & Walter,
                                                              You are correct, Ms. & Sir.

                                                              David Emerson gave me & Jo this as a beer & pizza gift when he came down
                                                              to Metamora to jam with a Fine Kettle of Fish on our way to Mythcon in
                                                              Nashville in '03 or in Ann Arbor in '04. The fact that central to
                                                              Illinois from St. Paul to Nashville makes much more sense than to U.
                                                              Michigan leads me to believe it was '04.

                                                              It is brilliant. Circe myth evoked, Hansel & Gretel reversed, Disney's
                                                              Pinocchio, Edge-O-Phobia & Jackson's Moria Staggering Staircases also
                                                              well done.

                                                              Like every truly great tale as old as Sir Gawaine & Treasure Island or
                                                              CSL & JRRT, or as recent as Yolen-Stemple's Pay the Piper or
                                                              Horvath-Wiles Line Drives: 100 Contemporary Baseball Poems, it is about
                                                              Redemption.

                                                              And about two hours long.

                                                              Heed Ellen's & Padgett's advice: Foster's advice.

                                                              Mike

                                                              Walter Padgett wrote:

                                                              >On 12/1/05, Ellen <carnimiriel@...> wrote:
                                                              >

                                                              >>I also had another thought for a film that I don't believe anyone has
                                                              >>mentioned yet - /Spirited Away - /the English-dubbed version of a
                                                              >>Japanese animated film that won the 2003 Oscar. It is a marvelous fairy
                                                              >>tale of a girl who ends up in a world of spirits and, among other
                                                              >>adventures, has to stand up to some very unusual spirit characters,
                                                              >>befriend a dragon, and rescue her parents, who have been turned into
                                                              >>pigs. It is also a great cross-cultural experience because of the
                                                              >>Japanese setting and mythology. I loved this so much I have rented it
                                                              >>three times total, and I seldom do that for a movie. I highly recommend
                                                              >>checking it out!
                                                              >>
                                                              >>Ellen Denham
                                                              >>

                                                              >Yes. I loved =Spirited Away.= What was especially interesting was
                                                              >the old grandfather character, and the way he talked to the little
                                                              >girl. He scolded her mercilessly in private, but his actions showed
                                                              >her that he cared for her quite deeply. He was willing to give her
                                                              >the train tickets she needed, and he got her a job by bribing someone
                                                              >with a mysterious black noodle. That was funny. I think our daughter
                                                              >was probably 8 or 9 when we watched it together. She is 11 now, and
                                                              >we still refer to it, occasionally. It changed the way we saw things,
                                                              >a little. I think it is a great movie.
                                                              >
                                                              >Walter Padgett

                                                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                            • John D Rateliff
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Dec 2, 2005
                                                                I'd just like to add my voice to Ellen's, Walter's, and Amy's praise
                                                                of Hayao Miyazaki's work: there's a reason he's widely viewed as the
                                                                finest animated filmmaker in the world. I'd recommend KIKI'S DELIVERY
                                                                SERVICE as perfect for that age group: it's the story of a thirteen-
                                                                year-old girl setting out to make a place for herself in the world.
                                                                MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO skews slightly younger, but it's the film he's
                                                                most loved for in Japan. SPIRITED AWAY is a wonderful fairy tale that
                                                                skews slightly older. THE CAT RETURNS, his studio's latest release
                                                                but made by a different director (he and his partner are trying to
                                                                groom a next generation of talent to take over after they're gone),
                                                                is good lighthearted fun aimed squarely at that age group.
                                                                The whole Studio Ghilbi film catalogue is worth checking out for
                                                                anyone at all interested in animation or fantasy film, ranging from
                                                                GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (a truly heartbreaking tale about a brother
                                                                and sister orphaned by Allied firebombing in WWII Japan*) to
                                                                NAUSICAA: THE VALLEY OF THE WIND (a girl trying to stop a war and
                                                                ecological devastation in a post-apocalyptic world; generally
                                                                considered his masterpiece) to PORCO ROSSO (a WWI flier trying to
                                                                make a living as a freelance pilot in the 1920s Adriatic after having
                                                                been turned into a giant pig) to PRINCESS MONONOKI (a brutal fight
                                                                between those defending the wilderness and those who want to
                                                                modernize), and much more, from quiet slice-of-life tales of first
                                                                love (WHISPERS OF THE HEART) to a dystopian little micro-film that
                                                                tells its entire story in five minutes (ON YOUR MARK). Luckily, the
                                                                huge anime boom of the last few years means that these films have
                                                                finally all been released over here: for years Disney, which bought
                                                                up the US rights, would neither release them nor allow anyone else to
                                                                do so.

                                                                --JDR

                                                                *do NOT watch this one without a plentiful supply of kleenix in the
                                                                house