new fantasy classics

  • Douglas A. Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2005
      For the World Fantasy Con in Madison last weekend, I made up a flyer of the
      new Cold Spring Press fantasy classics in the series I'm editing. There are
      seven published so far. I thought the group might be interested in the
      list. Any questions feel free to contact me directly.

      Doug

      Cold Spring Press Fantasy Classics, edited by Douglas A. Anderson

      BOOK OF THE THREE DRAGONS, by Kenneth Morris. Cold Spring Press, trade
      paperback $11.95, 1-59360-027-5. Released September 2004. Originally
      published in 1930. Cover by Ferdinand Huszti Horvath. This edition
      publishes for the first time the author's ending to the book, amounting to
      over fifty pages of new material, originally lopped off from the book for
      reasons of length. Ursula K. Le Guin singled out Kenneth Morris as one of
      the three master stylists of fantasy, and praised this book in particular as
      "a singularly fine example of the recreation of a work magnificent in its
      own right (the Mabinogion)."

      LUD-IN-THE-MIST, by Hope Mirrlees. Cold Spring Press, trade paperback,
      $11.00, 1-59360-041-0. Released March 2005. Originally published in 1926.
      Cover by Daniel Govar. Also includes a Foreword by Neil Gaiman, who calls
      this book "the single most beautiful, solid, unearthly, and unjustifyably
      forgotten novel of the twentieth century."

      SEEKERS OF DREAMS, edited by Douglas A. Anderson. Cold Spring Press, trade
      paperback, $14.00, 1-59360-048-8. Original compilation. Cover by Daniel
      Govar. Released August 2005. A collection of twenty stories, one play and
      one poem which exemplifies the diversity of fantasy, in style and in form.
      Authors represented include Jonathan Carroll, Lord Dunsany, Peter S. Beagle,
      Clark Ashton Smith, Clemence Housman, and L. Frank Baum. The Baum is a short
      story version of his famous novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, never before
      reprinted. Two of the stories will delight Tolkien fans-Andy Duncan's
      wicked "Senator Bilbo," which takes the real life, racist, diminutive
      Mississippi Senator Theodore Bilbo (1877-1947) and drops him into a town
      rather like Hobbiton, and Verlyn's Flieger's "Green Hill Country", published
      here for the first time, an exploration of oral tradition and how that might
      affect retellings of The Lord of the Rings.

      THE DARK CHAMBER, by Leonard Cline. Cold Spring Press, mass market
      paperback, $6.99, 1-59360-050-X. Released September 2005. Originally
      published in 1927. Cover by Daniel Govar. This edition contains an
      introduction discussing Cline's life and the influence of his novel on the
      Lovecraft circle. Also, as an appendix, Cline's 1927 essay on style in
      literature, "Logodaedaly," is reprinted.

      ADRIFT ON THE HAUNTED SEAS: The Best Short Stories of William Hope Hodgson,
      edited by Douglas A. Anderson. Cold Spring Press, trade paperback, $11.00,
      1-59360-049-6. Original compilation. Released September 2005. Cover by
      Daniel Govar. Eighteen of Hodgson's best short stories, plus four poems,
      all about the sea.

      THE SHADOW AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD, by Thomas Ligotti. Cold Spring
      Press, trade paperback, $13.00, 1-59360-058-5. Original compilation.
      Released in October 2005. Cover by Daniel Govar. An introductory sampler
      containing sixteen of Ligotti's best tales. Ramsey Campbell writes: "Thomas
      Ligotti is an absolute master of supernatural horror and weird fiction, and
      a true original. He pursues his unique vision with admirable honesty and
      rigorousness and conveys it in prose as powerfully evocative as any writer
      in the field. I'd say he might just be a genius."

      H. P. LOVECRAFT'S FAVORITE WEIRD TALES, edited by Douglas A. Anderson. Cold
      Spring Press, trade paperback, $14.00, 1-59360-056-9. Released October
      2005. Cover by Daniel Govar. Contains twelve classic literary weird tales,
      plus six rare popular weird tales from Weird Tales (1923-28), all selected
      by Lovecraft himself. Thomas Ligotti writes: "To understand why Lovecraft
      regarded these stories as the touchstone for greatness in the literature of
      supernatural horror is to understand the significance of the genre itself.
      The classic works included in this collection, along with Lovecraft's own
      best tales, both justify and represent the essence of this form of human
      expression."