Re: [mythsoc] Past Watchful Dragons

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
      From: "John D Rateliff" <sacnoth@...>
      > 'In the late 1940's, Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were talking about
      > children's
      > books, commenting upon the lack of honor, chivalry and personal
      > responsibility in modern tales. "They decided if no one else was doing it,
      > they better do it themselves," Gresham noted.

      > So, it's a nice thought but has no basis in reality. Did Gresham
      > actually say this, is did the journalist confuse the issue?

      Yes, he did. I was there.

      He got to it via an amusing intro, that he was given his values (honor,
      chivalry and the rest) by CSL,
      Warnie, and an old gentleman who was part of the household which took him in
      after CSL's death. I think he meant the household of a woman journalist who
      had been a good friend of Joy's (this is in Gresham's book LENTEN LANDS
      somewhere); he went there rather than staying on with Warnie. All of these
      men, he said, were formed in the 19th century - "so here I am, having lived
      three hundred years, and naturally out of tune with the present age." Or
      words to that effect.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2005
        I recall Douglas Gresham saying that line, too.

        Mike