BW Discussion

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2000
      There might be some I BW folks that I forgot; most notably, Paul, David and
      Berni: I'm just learning how to do a mass mailing on this [relatively] new
      program.

      Here are some subjects I'm thinking about for discussions in next years'
      BW. In no particular order:

      Inklings' category: Dorothy Sayers' *Letters* [gives me an excuse to read
      her again, as if I need one]. LOTR on Film. Sayers *The Man Born To Be
      King.*

      Books: We would not be discussing *all* of course. Check the titles out on
      Amazon.com and see if any catch fire. They are currently out in hardback
      (mostly); the Thomas, Strauss, and Goldman are in paper (save for the last
      one). All of these look intriguing in different ways. Suggestions are
      always welcome.

      Peter Lord Wolff. *The Silence of Heaven.* Adventures of two "fallen
      angels" on Earth.

      Graham Joyce. *Dreamside.* (tp) Four college students explore lucid
      dreaming, and things get out of hand. *Indigo* seems more like a mystery,
      but involves a cultist who can make people achieve invisibility by use of
      colors and meditation.

      Charles de Lint. *Forests of the Heart.* Didn't look at the blurbs; it's
      a de Lint, and he's at least worth considering.

      Heinlein. *The Fantasies of Robert A. Heinlein.* I don't know if he's
      mythopoeic; might be interesting to see how such a "core" SF writer works
      (or doesn't work) in another genre.

      Patricia McKillip. *The Tower at Stony Wood.* See de Lint. May get
      nominated for MFA.

      Richard Garfinkle. *All In An Instant.* This time, he explores time
      travel. Not the same universe as *Celestial Matters.*

      Naolo Hopkinson. *Midnight Robber. * Another exploration of Carribean
      magical realism.

      Richard Pinto. *The Chosen.* Probably more generic, but the world looks to
      be different, and may have mythopoeic possibilities.

      Barbara Hambley. *Fever Season.* Reccommended by Lynn Maudlin. "Nuff
      said.

      Victroria Strauss. *Arm of the Stone* and *Gardens of Stone.* Very
      interesting world and conception. Second one is not precisely linked by the
      same central character, as in a trilogy. Don't know if a third one's
      coming.

      Darrel Schweitzer. *The Mask of the Sorcerer.* Avail. only from SFBC or at
      your library in a British edition. Not in general publication in US. So
      good I think it should be.

      General Topics: Magical Systems; Unreal Estate: Houses Bigger on the
      Inside;
      Dressed Animals.

      Comments? ---djb.
    • Eleanor Farrell
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2000
        Diane, Mary et al,

        I will dare (being no longer a member of Butterbur's Woodshed) to recommend
        one book I read early this year, that I plan to nominate for next year's
        MFA:

        _The Fox Woman_ by Kij Johnson (Tor hc, January 2000)

        Cheers,

        Ellie

        Eleanor M. Farrell
        Mythopoeic Awards Administrator