Re: [mythsoc] One of the most unusual libraries...

  • Ellen
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
      Croft, Janet B. wrote:

      >I can picture either an elf or a hobbit (well, an obsessive one) putting
      >together something like this: The Wooden Library (or Xylothek) in
      >Alnarp, Sweden.
      >
      >"Each "book" describes a certain tree species and is made out of the
      >actual wood (the "covers"). The spine is covered by the bark, where
      >mosses and lichens from the same tree are arranged. "Books" of shrubs
      >are covered with mosses with split branches on both covers and spines."
      >
      >http://www.bib.slu.se/bibliotek/alnarp/etradbibl.html

      This is wonderful! As a tree enthusiast (writing a novel from the point
      of view of the hypothetical last dryad), this will definitely go into my
      list of places to visit someday. Not that I'm likely to ever get around
      to it, but once can always dream.

      And yes, I can definitely imagine elves doing something like this. I
      wonder what the ents would think?

      Thanks for sharing this link!

      Ellen Denham
      Novel info at: http://denham.virtualave.net/willowmaiden.html
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
        Groan...

        Janet

        > Must be a nightmare for the preservation department! Not to mention
        > the catalogers!

        Cata-loggers.

        Diamond Proudbrook

        Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home
        page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

        Links
      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Ellen <carnimiriel@a...> wrote:

          > Croft, Janet B. wrote:
          >
          > >I can picture either an elf or a hobbit (well, an obsessive one)
          putting
          > >together something like this: The Wooden Library (or Xylothek) in
          > >Alnarp, Sweden.
          > >
          > >"Each "book" describes a certain tree species and is made out of the
          > >actual wood (the "covers"). The spine is covered by the bark, where
          > >mosses and lichens from the same tree are arranged. "Books" of shrubs
          > >are covered with mosses with split branches on both covers and spines."
          > >
          > >http://www.bib.slu.se/bibliotek/alnarp/etradbibl.html

          Wow! What a tresure! A plce to visit, indeed! As a tree lover, I thank
          you for posting this! Lezlie
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
            From: "Ellen" <carnimiriel@...>

            > This is wonderful! As a tree enthusiast (writing a novel from the point
            > of view of the hypothetical last dryad),

            The last dryad? Oh noooo! How lonely she must be!

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
              The last dryad
              Could've been in a triad.
              But off with an Ent
              She went.

              Mike

              Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

            • Ellen
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                Stolzi wrote:

> [...]
                She is, but she comes to terms with her existance and finds a new role
                for herself, in a way. I've finally finished a draft and am about ready
                to do some more editing.

                (I won't blather more about the novel here but if anyone is interested I
                did recently start a writing journal at:
                http://www.livejournal.com/users/ellen_denham/ )

                Ellen Denham

              • Ellen
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                  Mike Foster wrote:

                  >The last dryad
                  >Could've been in a triad.
                  >But off with an Ent
                  >She went.
                  >
                  >Mike

                  Ha ha! Hmm, I get a feeling that Treebeard would disapprove of dryads
                  for taking on human-like forms. That's being awfully hasty.

                  Ellen Denham
                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                    Clerihews are as