Re: [mythsoc] One of the most unusual libraries...

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
      > Must be a nightmare for the preservation department! Not to mention the
      > catalogers!

      Cata-loggers.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
        Croft, Janet B. wrote:

        >I can picture either an elf or a hobbit (well, an obsessive one) putting
        >together something like this: The Wooden Library (or Xylothek) in
        >Alnarp, Sweden.
        >
        >"Each "book" describes a certain tree species and is made out of the
        >actual wood (the "covers"). The spine is covered by the bark, where
        >mosses and lichens from the same tree are arranged. "Books" of shrubs
        >are covered with mosses with split branches on both covers and spines."
        >
        >http://www.bib.slu.se/bibliotek/alnarp/etradbibl.html

        This is wonderful! As a tree enthusiast (writing a novel from the point
        of view of the hypothetical last dryad), this will definitely go into my
        list of places to visit someday. Not that I'm likely to ever get around
        to it, but once can always dream.

        And yes, I can definitely imagine elves doing something like this. I
        wonder what the ents would think?

        Thanks for sharing this link!

        Ellen Denham
        Novel info at: http://denham.virtualave.net/willowmaiden.html
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
          Groan...

          Janet

          > Must be a nightmare for the preservation department! Not to mention
          > the catalogers!

          Cata-loggers.

          Diamond Proudbrook

          Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home
          page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

          Links
        • Lezlie
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Ellen <carnimiriel@a...> wrote:

            > Croft, Janet B. wrote:
            >
            > >I can picture either an elf or a hobbit (well, an obsessive one)
            putting
            > >together something like this: The Wooden Library (or Xylothek) in
            > >Alnarp, Sweden.
            > >
            > >"Each "book" describes a certain tree species and is made out of the
            > >actual wood (the "covers"). The spine is covered by the bark, where
            > >mosses and lichens from the same tree are arranged. "Books" of shrubs
            > >are covered with mosses with split branches on both covers and spines."
            > >
            > >http://www.bib.slu.se/bibliotek/alnarp/etradbibl.html

            Wow! What a tresure! A plce to visit, indeed! As a tree lover, I thank
            you for posting this! Lezlie
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
              > This is wonderful! As a tree enthusiast (writing a novel from the point
              > of view of the hypothetical last dryad),

              The last dryad? Oh noooo! How lonely she must be!

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                The last dryad
                Could've been in a triad.
                But off with an Ent
                She went.

                Mike

                Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

              • Ellen
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                  Stolzi wrote:

> [...]
                  She is, but she comes to terms with her existance and finds a new role
                  for herself, in a way. I've finally finished a draft and am about ready
                  to do some more editing.

                  (I won't blather more about the novel here but if anyone is interested I
                  did recently start a writing journal at:
                  http://www.livejournal.com/users/ellen_denham/ )

                  Ellen Denham

                • Ellen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                    Mike Foster wrote:

                    >The last dryad
                    >Could've been in a triad.
                    >But off with an Ent
                    >She went.
                    >
                    >Mike

                    Ha ha! Hmm, I get a feeling that Treebeard would disapprove of dryads
                    for taking on human-like forms. That's being awfully hasty.

                    Ellen Denham
                  • Mike Foster
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                      Clerihews are as