Re: [mythsoc] The Masques of Amen House

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15 3:05 PM
      On Mon, 15 May 2000, Matthew Winslow wrote:

      > This is wonderful news. One question: have the masques ever been performed?
      > And will we be seeing a performance at an upcoming Mythcon?

      The third masque has never been printed nor performed, but the first two
      have been performed three times each, all in Britain: first by Williams
      and his co-workers in 1927/29, and then revived in 1955 and 1998.

      There was a reading (not really a performance) of the first masque at the
      1995 Mythcon. It is possible there may be a real performance of a masque
      or two at a future Mythcon. I'd like to arrange one. But
      practicalities, including official acquisition of the rights to do it,
      would have to be acquired, and that hasn't yet been looked into. It's
      early days yet for that.

      David Bratman
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15 4:48 PM
        Berni, thanks so much for your comments. You probably have influenced both of
        my finalist ballots. Would you be willing to have your Children's list
        comments quoted A) on the Once Upon a Time web-page, and/or B) in my zine in
        OUaT?

        And your post would've been of interest to me even if I wasn't on the
        committees, so I'm glad you sent it. Thanks again.

        Berni Phillips wrote:

        > Warning! This may be a rather long message and not of interest to
        > non-committee members.
        >
        > Adult list first:
        >
        > A.S. Byatt, ELEMENTALS: I read the first two stories in here. I've never
        > [. . . .]
        >
        > Children's Fiction
        >
        > David Almond, SKELLIG: Interesting, original, sensitive fantasy about a
        > young boy who discovers a funny little winged man living in the garage.
        > [. . . .]
        >
        > -- Berni

      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 7 , May 24 9:03 AM
          The May 29th issue of _The New Yorker_ has a joke article consisting of a
          page of excerpts from purported new prose translations of Beowulf,
          including ones by Frank McCourt and David Letterman. Passingly amusing.

          David Bratman
          - not responsible for the following joke -
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2000
            I haven't seen this book myself, but I just learned about it, and thought
            I'd pass the info on in case somebody with better access to the book
            wants to look it up.

            Philip Norman is best known as a historian of rock music, but he is also
            a novelist and, in the 1960s, was a journalist at the Sunday Times of
            London, for which he wrote an interview with Tolkien (also published
            by the New York Times).

            About four years ago, Norman published a novel, titled _Everyone's Gone
            to the Moon_, about a journalist for a major Sunday newspaper in London
            in the 1960s, who ... writes an interview with Tolkien.

            Could be interesting.

            David Bratman
            - not responsible for the following interview with advertisers -