Re: [mythsoc] count the errors

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
      I finally read the White blurb since the chat about it had been so lively.

      I stopped counting at 5.

      Mike

      David Bratman wrote:

      >Michael White, author of the most error-ridden book on Tolkien ever
      >published, is now similarly hacking his way around C.S. Lewis.
      >
      ><http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1859141,00.html>
      >
      >David Bratman

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
        I concur with Diamond's assessment. The book needed a better copy
        editing job--typos as soon as p. 4--and danced over the difficult bits,
        but so did Colin D.'s book on CSL & JRRT.

        More later. A salmon calls.

        Stolzi wrote:

        > Doug Gresham, who spoke at the opening banquet for PAST WATCHFUL DRAGONS,
        >sold copies of his new (rather slight) book JACK'S LIFE. I was aggravated
        >to have bought it bec it is obviously by
        >its style - and overtly in so many words, in the conclusion - a bio of Lewis
        >for children, yet it was marketed at this conference without ever a word or
        >hint to that effect.
        >
        >Well, at least it was cheap; and it isn't too =bad=.
        >
        >I did think he was rather riding a hobby horse in an excess number of
        >paragraphs about How Awful War Is. Sure, it is awful, and the two wars
        >surely had a large impact on CSL as well as his friends and family. But I
        >don't think Lewis himself would have wanted to dwell on the subject that
        >much, - stiff upper lip and all that. And it comes ill from a man like Doug
        >who as far as I know has never been in any war. In fact, this morning in
        >LETTERS v. 2, I was just reading some wartime snarky comments from Jack
        >about high-minded intellectual c.o.'s who have never, he says, been known to
        >be troubled by their consciences about anything before.
        >
        >It would be great to influence all the children of the world forever against
        >war. If it could be ALL the children of the world. I don't see that
        >situation today.
        >
        >Diamond Proudbrook

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jay Hershberger