Re: [mythsoc] count the errors

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
      I agree with David. Who better to tell the story of Lewis' life than
      one who was taught then mentored and then befriended by him? Begin with
      Sayer.

      Mike

      David Bratman wrote:

      >At 10:46 AM 11/7/2005 -0800, John D. Rateliff wrote:
      >

      >>Actually, of the three main biographies on CSL, I'd recommend starting with
      >>the Green & Hooper. That's the authorized biography, and it does the best
      >>job of discussing the main outlines of his life, works, and career. Although
      >>now more than thirty years old, it's still not been superceded as a whole.
      >>Then if you'd like to read more I'd read the Sayer next, since it's a warm
      >>portrait by a friend, as much memoir as biography; it'll convey why Lewis's
      >>friends thought so highly of him.
      >>

      >I'd start with Sayer for exactly the same reason. G&H is a valuable
      >source, but much too dry for casual reading. Also, G&H was recently
      >massively rewritten and extended by H, and I haven't studied all the
      >changes; nor are all editions that say "revised" actually the rewritten
      >edition.
      >

      >>P.S.: "Never wrote another word" is White's garbled version of a comment by
      >>Carpenter that, after his mauling by Anscombe, CSL stopped writing
      >>straightforward apologetics for many years and, when he resumed, his
      >>religious books were much more personal in tone (e.g., MIRACLES, THE PROBLEM
      >>OF PAIN, MERE XIANITY vs. REFLECTIONS ON THE PSALMS and LETTERS TO MALCOLM:
      >>CHIEFLY ON PRAYER).
      >>

      >Thank you; that clarifies the point better than I did.
      >
      >David Bratman

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
        I finally read the White blurb since the chat about it had been so lively.

        I stopped counting at 5.

        Mike

        David Bratman wrote:

        >Michael White, author of the most error-ridden book on Tolkien ever
        >published, is now similarly hacking his way around C.S. Lewis.
        >
        ><http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1859141,00.html>
        >
        >David Bratman

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
          I concur with Diamond's assessment. The book needed a better copy
          editing job--typos as soon as p. 4--and danced over the difficult bits,
          but so did Colin D.'s book on CSL & JRRT.

          More later. A salmon calls.

          Stolzi wrote:

          > Doug Gresham, who spoke at the opening banquet for PAST WATCHFUL DRAGONS,
          >sold copies of his new (rather slight) book JACK'S LIFE. I was aggravated
          >to have bought it bec it is obviously by
          >its style - and overtly in so many words, in the conclusion - a bio of Lewis
          >for children, yet it was marketed at this conference without ever a word or
          >hint to that effect.
          >
          >Well, at least it was cheap; and it isn't too =bad=.
          >
          >I did think he was rather riding a hobby horse in an excess number of
          >paragraphs about How Awful War Is. Sure, it is awful, and the two wars
          >surely had a large impact on CSL as well as his friends and family. But I
          >don't think Lewis himself would have wanted to dwell on the subject that
          >much, - stiff upper lip and all that. And it comes ill from a man like Doug
          >who as far as I know has never been in any war. In fact, this morning in
          >LETTERS v. 2, I was just reading some wartime snarky comments from Jack
          >about high-minded intellectual c.o.'s who have never, he says, been known to
          >be troubled by their consciences about anything before.
          >
          >It would be great to influence all the children of the world forever against
          >war. If it could be ALL the children of the world. I don't see that
          >situation today.
          >
          >Diamond Proudbrook

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Hugh Davis
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
            I had great hopes that _Jack's Life_ would feature more stories like the one
            Doug Gresham shared in the Q&A at Past Watchful Dragons (about the archer),
            but, alas, the anecdotes are less salacious.

            Hugh

            >From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>
            >To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] count the errors
            >Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:23:18 -0600
            >
            > Doug Gresham, who spoke at the opening banquet for PAST WATCHFUL DRAGONS,
            >sold copies of his new (rather slight) book JACK'S LIFE. I was aggravated
            >to have bought it bec it is obviously by
            >its style - and overtly in so many words, in the conclusion - a bio of
            >Lewis
            >for children, yet it was marketed at this conference without ever a word or
            >hint to that effect.
            >
            >Well, at least it was cheap; and it isn't too =bad=.
            >
            >I did think he was rather riding a hobby horse in an excess number of
            >paragraphs about How Awful War Is. Sure, it is awful, and the two wars
            >surely had a large impact on CSL as well as his friends and family. But I
            >don't think Lewis himself would have wanted to dwell on the subject that
            >much, - stiff upper lip and all that. And it comes ill from a man like
            >Doug
            >who as far as I know has never been in any war. In fact, this morning in
            >LETTERS v. 2, I was just reading some wartime snarky comments from Jack
            >about high-minded intellectual c.o.'s who have never, he says, been known
            >be troubled by their consciences about anything before.
            >
            >It would be great to influence all the children of the world forever
            >against
            >war. If it could be ALL the children of the world. I don't see that
            >situation today.
            >
            >Diamond Proudbrook

          • Jay Hershberger
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
              Thanks, Mike.

              Cheers,

              Jay Hershberger
              Moorhead, MN

              David Bratman wrote:

              >At 10:46 AM 11/7/2005 -0800, John D. Rateliff wrote:
              >

              >>Actually, of the three main biographies on CSL, I'd recommend starting
              with
              >>the Green & Hooper. That's the authorized biography, and it does the
              best
              >>job of discussing the main outlines of his life, works, and career.
              Although
              >>now more than thirty years old, it's still not been superceded as a
              whole.
              >>Then if you'd like to read more I'd read the Sayer next, since it's a
              warm
              >>portrait by a friend, as much memoir as biography; it'll convey why
              Lewis's
              >>friends thought so highly of him.
              >>

              >I'd start with Sayer for exactly the same reason. G&H is a valuable
              >source, but much too dry for casual reading. Also, G&H was recently
              >massively rewritten and extended by H, and I haven't studied all the
              >changes; nor are all editions that say "revised" actually the rewritten
              >edition.
              >

              >>P.S.: "Never wrote another word" is White's garbled version of a
              comment by
              >>Carpenter that, after his mauling by Anscombe, CSL stopped writing
              >>straightforward apologetics for many years and, when he resumed, his
              >>religious books were much more personal in tone (e.g., MIRACLES, THE
              PROBLEM
              >>OF PAIN, MERE XIANITY vs. REFLECTIONS ON THE PSALMS and LETTERS TO
              MALCOLM:
              >>CHIEFLY ON PRAYER).
              >>

              >Thank you; that clarifies the point better than I did.
              >
              >David Bratman

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Writing
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Wri
              ting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fi
              ction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLycc
              icIbmLvw> book
              Writing
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=W
              riting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+
              fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYx
              hLh9xKmaZA> a book
              Writing
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&
              w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Scie
              nce+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsy
              Q7cty1c0_Mdmcw> child book

              Book
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+bo
              ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
              cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXz
              OVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA> writing software
              Science
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writ
              ing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+softwar
              e&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig
              =XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ> fiction and fantasy
              Writing
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+bo
              ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
              cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7b
              RwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ> a book report

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "mythsoc