Re: [mythsoc] count the errors

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
      I agree with David. Who better to tell the story of Lewis' life than
      one who was taught then mentored and then befriended by him? Begin with
      Sayer.

      Mike

      David Bratman wrote:

      >At 10:46 AM 11/7/2005 -0800, John D. Rateliff wrote:
      >

      >>Actually, of the three main biographies on CSL, I'd recommend starting with
      >>the Green & Hooper. That's the authorized biography, and it does the best
      >>job of discussing the main outlines of his life, works, and career. Although
      >>now more than thirty years old, it's still not been superceded as a whole.
      >>Then if you'd like to read more I'd read the Sayer next, since it's a warm
      >>portrait by a friend, as much memoir as biography; it'll convey why Lewis's
      >>friends thought so highly of him.
      >>

      >I'd start with Sayer for exactly the same reason. G&H is a valuable
      >source, but much too dry for casual reading. Also, G&H was recently
      >massively rewritten and extended by H, and I haven't studied all the
      >changes; nor are all editions that say "revised" actually the rewritten
      >edition.
      >

      >>P.S.: "Never wrote another word" is White's garbled version of a comment by
      >>Carpenter that, after his mauling by Anscombe, CSL stopped writing
      >>straightforward apologetics for many years and, when he resumed, his
      >>religious books were much more personal in tone (e.g., MIRACLES, THE PROBLEM
      >>OF PAIN, MERE XIANITY vs. REFLECTIONS ON THE PSALMS and LETTERS TO MALCOLM:
      >>CHIEFLY ON PRAYER).
      >>

      >Thank you; that clarifies the point better than I did.
      >
      >David Bratman

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
        I finally read the White blurb since the chat about it had been so lively.

        I stopped counting at 5.

        Mike

        David Bratman wrote:

        >Michael White, author of the most error-ridden book on Tolkien ever
        >published, is now similarly hacking his way around C.S. Lewis.
        >
        ><http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1859141,00.html>
        >
        >David Bratman

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
          Doug Gresham, who spoke at the opening banquet for PAST WATCHFUL DRAGONS,
          sold copies of his new (rather slight) book JACK'S LIFE. I was aggravated
          to have bought it bec it is obviously by
          its style - and overtly in so many words, in the conclusion - a bio of Lewis
          for children, yet it was marketed at this conference without ever a word or
          hint to that effect.

          Well, at least it was cheap; and it isn't too =bad=.

          I did think he was rather riding a hobby horse in an excess number of
          paragraphs about How Awful War Is. Sure, it is awful, and the two wars
          surely had a large impact on CSL as well as his friends and family. But I
          don't think Lewis himself would have wanted to dwell on the subject that
          much, - stiff upper lip and all that. And it comes ill from a man like Doug
          who as far as I know has never been in any war. In fact, this morning in
          LETTERS v. 2, I was just reading some wartime snarky comments from Jack
          about high-minded intellectual c.o.'s who have never, he says, been known to
          be troubled by their consciences about anything before.

          It would be great to influence all the children of the world forever against
          war. If it could be ALL the children of the world. I don't see that
          situation today.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
            I concur with Diamond's assessment. The book needed a better copy
            editing job--typos as soon as p. 4--and danced over the difficult bits,
            but so did Colin D.'s book on CSL & JRRT.

            More later. A salmon calls.

            Stolzi wrote:

            > Doug Gresham, who spoke at the opening banquet for PAST WATCHFUL DRAGONS,
            >sold copies of his new (rather slight) book JACK'S LIFE. I was aggravated
            >to have bought it bec it is obviously by
            >its style - and overtly in so many words, in the conclusion - a bio of Lewis
            >for children, yet it was marketed at this conference without ever a word or
            >hint to that effect.
            >
            >Well, at least it was cheap; and it isn't too =bad=.
            >
            >I did think he was rather riding a hobby horse in an excess number of
            >paragraphs about How Awful War Is. Sure, it is awful, and the two wars
            >surely had a large impact on CSL as well as his friends and family. But I
            >don't think Lewis himself would have wanted to dwell on the subject that
            >much, - stiff upper lip and all that. And it comes ill from a man like Doug
            >who as far as I know has never been in any war. In fact, this morning in
            >LETTERS v. 2, I was just reading some wartime snarky comments from Jack
            >about high-minded intellectual c.o.'s who have never, he says, been known to
            >be troubled by their consciences about anything before.
            >
            >It would be great to influence all the children of the world forever against
            >war. If it could be ALL the children of the world. I don't see that
            >situation today.
            >
            >Diamond Proudbrook

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Hugh Davis
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
              I had great hopes that _Jack's Life_ would feature more stories like the one
              Doug Gresham shared in the Q&A at Past Watchful Dragons (about the archer),
              but, alas, the anecdotes are less salacious.

              Hugh

              >From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>
              >To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] count the errors
              >Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:23:18 -0600
              >
              > Doug Gresham, who spoke at the opening banquet for PAST WATCHFUL DRAGONS,
              >sold copies of his new (rather slight) book JACK'S LIFE. I was aggravated
              >to have bought it bec it is obviously by
              >its style - and overtly in so many words, in the conclusion - a bio of
              >Lewis
              >for children, yet it was marketed at this conference without ever a word or
              >hint to that effect.
              >
              >Well, at least it was cheap; and it isn't too =bad=.
              >
              >I did think he was rather riding a hobby horse in an excess number of
              >paragraphs about How Awful War Is. Sure, it is awful, and the two wars
              >surely had a large impact on CSL as well as his friends and family. But I
              >don't think Lewis himself would have wanted to dwell on the subject that
              >much, - stiff upper lip and all that. And it comes ill from a man like
              >Doug
              >who as far as I know has never been in any war. In fact, this morning in
              >LETTERS v. 2, I was just reading some wartime snarky comments from Jack
              >about high-minded intellectual c.o.'s who have never, he says, been known
              >be troubled by their consciences about anything before.
              >
              >It would be great to influence all the children of the world forever
              >against
              >war. If it could be ALL the children of the world. I don't see that
              >situation today.
              >
              >Diamond Proudbrook

            • Jay Hershberger
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                Thanks, Mike.

                Cheers,

                Jay Hershberger
                Moorhead, MN

                David Bratman wrote:

                >At 10:46 AM 11/7/2005 -0800, John D. Rateliff wrote:
                >

                >>Actually, of the three main biographies on CSL, I'd recommend starting
                with
                >>the Green & Hooper. That's the authorized biography, and it does the
                best
                >>job of discussing the main outlines of his life, works, and career.
                Although
                >>now more than thirty years old, it's still not been superceded as a
                whole.
                >>Then if you'd like to read more I'd read the Sayer next, since it's a
                warm
                >>portrait by a friend, as much memoir as biography; it'll convey why
                Lewis's
                >>friends thought so highly of him.
                >>

                >I'd start with Sayer for exactly the same reason. G&H is a valuable
                >source, but much too dry for casual reading. Also, G&H was recently
                >massively rewritten and extended by H, and I haven't studied all the
                >changes; nor are all editions that say "revised" actually the rewritten
                >edition.
                >

                >>P.S.: "Never wrote another word" is White's garbled version of a
                comment by
                >>Carpenter that, after his mauling by Anscombe, CSL stopped writing
                >>straightforward apologetics for many years and, when he resumed, his
                >>religious books were much more personal in tone (e.g., MIRACLES, THE
                PROBLEM
                >>OF PAIN, MERE XIANITY vs. REFLECTIONS ON THE PSALMS and LETTERS TO
                MALCOLM:
                >>CHIEFLY ON PRAYER).
                >>

                >Thank you; that clarifies the point better than I did.
                >
                >David Bratman

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                Writing
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Wri
                ting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fi
                ction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLycc
                icIbmLvw> book
                Writing
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=W
                riting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+
                fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYx
                hLh9xKmaZA> a book
                Writing
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&
                w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Scie
                nce+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsy
                Q7cty1c0_Mdmcw> child book

                Book
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+bo
                ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
                cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXz
                OVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA> writing software
                Science
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writ
                ing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+softwar
                e&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig
                =XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ> fiction and fantasy
                Writing
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+bo
                ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
                cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7b
                RwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ> a book report

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "mythsoc