Re: [mythsoc] The Masques of Amen House

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2000
      David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
      > I have what I hope is a cheering announcement. No, I haven't decided
      > that _The Phantom Menace_ is the greatest work since Gilgamesh, but I am
      > here to say that _The Masques of Amen House_ will be published by The
      > Mythopoeic Press this summer. Probably in July.

      This is wonderful news. One question: have the masques ever been performed?
      And will we be seeing a performance at an upcoming Mythcon?

      > 72% off on Name brand Watches!
      > Come and buy today and get free shipping!

      Your usual disclaimer was missing. Does this mean that you /are/ responsible
      for this ad? <g>

      "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
      --Logan Pearsall Smith
      Currently reading: Personal Knowledge by Michael Polanyi
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2000
        On Mon, 15 May 2000, Matthew Winslow wrote:

        > This is wonderful news. One question: have the masques ever been performed?
        > And will we be seeing a performance at an upcoming Mythcon?

        The third masque has never been printed nor performed, but the first two
        have been performed three times each, all in Britain: first by Williams
        and his co-workers in 1927/29, and then revived in 1955 and 1998.

        There was a reading (not really a performance) of the first masque at the
        1995 Mythcon. It is possible there may be a real performance of a masque
        or two at a future Mythcon. I'd like to arrange one. But
        practicalities, including official acquisition of the rights to do it,
        would have to be acquired, and that hasn't yet been looked into. It's
        early days yet for that.

        David Bratman
      • David Lenander
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2000
          Berni, thanks so much for your comments. You probably have influenced both of
          my finalist ballots. Would you be willing to have your Children's list
          comments quoted A) on the Once Upon a Time web-page, and/or B) in my zine in
          OUaT?

          And your post would've been of interest to me even if I wasn't on the
          committees, so I'm glad you sent it. Thanks again.

          Berni Phillips wrote:

          > Warning! This may be a rather long message and not of interest to
          > non-committee members.
          >
          > Adult list first:
          >
          > A.S. Byatt, ELEMENTALS: I read the first two stories in here. I've never
          > [. . . .]
          >
          > Children's Fiction
          >
          > David Almond, SKELLIG: Interesting, original, sensitive fantasy about a
          > young boy who discovers a funny little winged man living in the garage.
          > [. . . .]
          >
          > -- Berni

        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 7 , May 24, 2000
            The May 29th issue of _The New Yorker_ has a joke article consisting of a
            page of excerpts from purported new prose translations of Beowulf,
            including ones by Frank McCourt and David Letterman. Passingly amusing.

            David Bratman
            - not responsible for the following joke -
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2000
              I haven't seen this book myself, but I just learned about it, and thought
              I'd pass the info on in case somebody with better access to the book
              wants to look it up.

              Philip Norman is best known as a historian of rock music, but he is also
              a novelist and, in the 1960s, was a journalist at the Sunday Times of
              London, for which he wrote an interview with Tolkien (also published
              by the New York Times).

              About four years ago, Norman published a novel, titled _Everyone's Gone
              to the Moon_, about a journalist for a major Sunday newspaper in London
              in the 1960s, who ... writes an interview with Tolkien.

              Could be interesting.

              David Bratman
              - not responsible for the following interview with advertisers -