count the errors

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
      Michael White, author of the most error-ridden book on Tolkien ever
      published, is now similarly hacking his way around C.S. Lewis.

      <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1859141,00.html>

      David Bratman
    • Jay Hershberger
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
        DB: Michael White, author of the most error-ridden book on Tolkien ever
        published, is now similarly hacking his way around C.S. Lewis.

        JH: I don't know much about the shape and chronology of Lewis' life,
        but even I was able to detect multiple errors in Mr. White's article.
        For instance, Mr. White claims that Lewis never wrote another word of
        "religious commentary" after 1949. Is this true? If I am mistaken,
        please let me know; I thought that Letters to Malcolm and A Grief
        Observed were both written rather late. Do they not count as "religious
        commentary?" What about the Chronicles themselves? They at least
        induce religious commentary by others. Any thoughts?

        Cheers,

        Jay Hershberger
        Moorhead, MN

      • Jay Hershberger
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
          Which biographer is considered more accurate, George Sayer or A.N.
          Wilson? I am sure that this is an old and tired topic, but I would be
          interested in any thoughts. Thanks.

          Cheers,

          Jay Hershberger
          Moorhead, MN

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
            We had a debate at one panel at the 1998 Mythcon about which was the best
            biography of Lewis. Yes, this is an old and tired topic. There are good and
            bad things to be said about both books. There is no definitive biography of
            Lewis at the moment. I could make some comments about the books, but I'm
            really not interested in getting into that argument again.

          • Jay Hershberger
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
              WW: <snip> There are good and bad things to be said about both books.
              There is no definitive biography of Lewis at the moment. I could make
              some comments about the books, but I'm
              really not interested in getting into that argument again.

              JH: I understand. Thanks, Wendell. Anyone else care to comment? What
              I would like to know is which of the two deal with the facts and
              chronology of Lewis' life in a more historically accurate way.

              Cheers,

              Jay Hershberger
              Moorhead, MN

            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                From: "Jay Hershberger" <hershjay@...>

                > Which biographer is considered more accurate, George Sayer or A.N.
                > Wilson?

                I'd plump for Sayer, every time.

                The new bio by Douglas Gresham, Lewis' stepson, JACK'S LIFE, is definitely
                a children's book, (explicitly so in the final paragraphs) but they don't
                seem to be marketing it with this fact up front. Just a warning.

                The Michael White article is god-awful. "Arthur Lewis"? Who he?

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                  Sayer gets my vote. In his preface to Jack, he speaks of his first
                  meeting with his tutor Lewis and also Tolkien, who said to him [re:
                  Lewis]: "You'll never get to the bottom of him."

                  Maybe no one could, but Sayer did the best job of it--quite possibly
                  because he had a genuine friendship for Lewis--and Lewis for him.

                  I'm pleased to note that Christopher Mitchell and I took 15 minutes to
                  eulogize George at the end of my presentation on CSL & JRRT Saturday at
                  Belmont University's CSL conference in Nashville. Only a few of the 60
                  or 70 attending had heard of Sayer. By the time we walked back from the
                  library to Belmont student center, the booksellers had sold their last
                  copy of Jack.

                  Cheers,
                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                    One of many factual errors in the article, although the distorted
                    interpretations are even more harmful. (Even A.N. Wilson, the most
                    salacious of Lewis's biographers - that should tell you how to rank his
                    work - doesn't spend as much space in an entire book on Lewis's dark "inner
                    drives" or his lusts for comely young matrons as White does in one short
                    article.)

                    The nugget of fact in the statement you query is that Lewis's later
                    religious commentaries were not quite the aggressively muscular apologetics
                    that his earlier books were.

                    David Bratman

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                      Thanks for the information, David. And to all who responded. I think I
                      will start with Sayer's book on Lewis.

                      Cheers,

                      Jay Hershberger
                      Moorhead, MN

                      One of many factual errors in the article, although the distorted
                      interpretations are even more harmful. (Even A.N. Wilson, the most
                      salacious of Lewis's biographers - that should tell you how to rank his
                      work - doesn't spend as much space in an entire book on Lewis's dark
                      "inner
                      drives" or his lusts for comely young matrons as White does in one short
                      article.)

                      The nugget of fact in the statement you query is that Lewis's later
                      religious commentaries were not quite the aggressively muscular
                      apologetics
                      that his earlier books were.

                      David Bratman

                      At 02:25 PM 11/6/2005 -0600, Jay Hershberger wrote:

                      >I don't know much about the shape and chronology of Lewis' life,
                      >but even I was able to detect multiple errors in Mr. White's article.
                      >For instance, Mr. White claims that Lewis never wrote another word of
                      >"religious commentary" after 1949. Is this true? If I am mistaken,
                      >please let me know; I thought that Letters to Malcolm and A Grief
                      >Observed were both written rather late. Do they not count as
                      "religious
                      >commentary?" What about the Chronicles themselves? They at least
                      >induce religious commentary by others. Any thoughts?

                      Writing
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Wri
                      ting+child+book&w3=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w4=Business+writing+book&
                      w5=Writing+book+for+child+course&c=5&s=137&.sig=Rn-cSb7_faV3YJBtHr7xbQ>
                      book
                      Writing
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&
                      w2=Writing+child+book&w3=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w4=Business+writing
                      +book&w5=Writing+book+for+child+course&c=5&s=137&.sig=RKTCZ23aMh5hWai7M6
                      vyOQ> child book
                      Science
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writ
                      ing+book&w2=Writing+child+book&w3=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w4=Busines
                      s+writing+book&w5=Writing+book+for+child+course&c=5&s=137&.sig=CU40vJKWs
                      tG3japdfhQDqg> fiction and fantasy

                      Business
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+writing+book&w1=Writing+bo
                      ok&w2=Writing+child+book&w3=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w4=Business+writ
                      ing+book&w5=Writing+book+for+child+course&c=5&s=137&.sig=uXttXXK2e_UXNhe
                      b17Wbgg> writing book
                      Writing
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book+for+child+course&w1=Wr
                      iting+book&w2=Writing+child+book&w3=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w4=Busin
                      ess+writing+book&w5=Writing+book+for+child+course&c=5&s=137&.sig=ExONjgc
                      6kti9q8Lpfhgv6Q> book for child course

                      _____

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      * Visit your group "mythsoc
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc> " on the web.

                      _____

                    • John D Rateliff
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                        Actually, of the three main biographies on CSL, I'd recommend starting with the Green & Hooper. That's the authorized biography, and it does the best job of discussing the main outlines of his life, works, and career. Although now more than thirty years old, it's still not been superceded as a whole. Then if you'd like to read more I'd read the Sayer next, since it's a warm portrait by a friend, as much memoir as biography; it'll convey why Lewis's friends thought so highly of him. Its main shortcoming is that it's too uncritical of its subject, which isn't that much of a flaw in a biography. Then I'd read the Wilson, who's deliberately iconoclastic and wants to establish that, all in all, CSL while talents was also a rather strange man.
                        Or, if you want a shorter take on things, Carpenter's THE INKLINGS is as much a biography of CSL as the group.
                        Enjoy!
                        --JDR

                        P.S.: "Never wrote another word" is White's garbled version of a comment by Carpenter that, after his mauling by Anscombe, CSL stopped writing straightforward apologetics for many years and, when he resumed, his religious books were much more personal in tone (e.g., MIRACLES, THE PROBLEM OF PAIN, MERE XIANITY vs. REFLECTIONS ON THE PSALMS and LETTERS TO MALCOLM: CHIEFLY ON PRAYER).

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                          Thanks, John. I look forward to reading them all.

                          Cheers,

                          Jay Hershberger
                          Moorhead, MN

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                            At 10:46 AM 11/7/2005 -0800, John D. Rateliff wrote:
                            >Actually, of the three main biographies on CSL, I'd recommend starting with
                            >the Green & Hooper. That's the authorized biography, and it does the best
                            >job of discussing the main outlines of his life, works, and career. Although
                            >now more than thirty years old, it's still not been superceded as a whole.
                            >Then if you'd like to read more I'd read the Sayer next, since it's a warm
                            >portrait by a friend, as much memoir as biography; it'll convey why Lewis's
                            >friends thought so highly of him.

                            I'd start with Sayer for exactly the same reason. G&H is a valuable
                            source, but much too dry for casual reading. Also, G&H was recently
                            massively rewritten and extended by H, and I haven't studied all the
                            changes; nor are all editions that say "revised" actually the rewritten
                            edition.

                            >P.S.: "Never wrote another word" is White's garbled version of a comment by
                            >Carpenter that, after his mauling by Anscombe, CSL stopped writing
                            >straightforward apologetics for many years and, when he resumed, his
                            >religious books were much more personal in tone (e.g., MIRACLES, THE PROBLEM
                            >OF PAIN, MERE XIANITY vs. REFLECTIONS ON THE PSALMS and LETTERS TO MALCOLM:
                            >CHIEFLY ON PRAYER).

                            Thank you; that clarifies the point better than I did.

                            David Bratman
                          • Mike Foster
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                              I agree with David. Who better to tell the story of Lewis' life than
                              one who was taught then mentored and then befriended by him? Begin with
                              Sayer.

                              Mike

                              David Bratman wrote:

                              >At 10:46 AM 11/7/2005 -0800, John D. Rateliff wrote:
                              >

                              >>Actually, of the three main biographies on CSL, I'd recommend starting with
                              >>the Green & Hooper. That's the authorized biography, and it does the best
                              >>job of discussing the main outlines of his life, works, and career. Although
                              >>now more than thirty years old, it's still not been superceded as a whole.
                              >>Then if you'd like to read more I'd read the Sayer next, since it's a warm
                              >>portrait by a friend, as much memoir as biography; it'll convey why Lewis's
                              >>friends thought so highly of him.
                              >>

                              >I'd start with Sayer for exactly the same reason. G&H is a valuable
                              >source, but much too dry for casual reading. Also, G&H was recently
                              >massively rewritten and extended by H, and I haven't studied all the
                              >changes; nor are all editions that say "revised" actually the rewritten
                              >edition.
                              >

                              >>P.S.: "Never wrote another word" is White's garbled version of a comment by
                              >>Carpenter that, after his mauling by Anscombe, CSL stopped writing
                              >>straightforward apologetics for many years and, when he resumed, his
                              >>religious books were much more personal in tone (e.g., MIRACLES, THE PROBLEM
                              >>OF PAIN, MERE XIANITY vs. REFLECTIONS ON THE PSALMS and LETTERS TO MALCOLM:
                              >>CHIEFLY ON PRAYER).
                              >>

                              >Thank you; that clarifies the point better than I did.
                              >
                              >David Bratman

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Mike Foster
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                I finally read the White blurb since the chat about it had been so lively.

                                I stopped counting at 5.

                                Mike

                                David Bratman wrote:

                                >Michael White, author of the most error-ridden book on Tolkien ever
                                >published, is now similarly hacking his way around C.S. Lewis.
                                >
                                ><http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1859141,00.html>
                                >
                                >David Bratman

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Stolzi
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                  Doug Gresham, who spoke at the opening banquet for PAST WATCHFUL DRAGONS,
                                  sold copies of his new (rather slight) book JACK'S LIFE. I was aggravated
                                  to have bought it bec it is obviously by
                                  its style - and overtly in so many words, in the conclusion - a bio of Lewis
                                  for children, yet it was marketed at this conference without ever a word or
                                  hint to that effect.

                                  Well, at least it was cheap; and it isn't too =bad=.

                                  I did think he was rather riding a hobby horse in an excess number of
                                  paragraphs about How Awful War Is. Sure, it is awful, and the two wars
                                  surely had a large impact on CSL as well as his friends and family. But I
                                  don't think Lewis himself would have wanted to dwell on the subject that
                                  much, - stiff upper lip and all that. And it comes ill from a man like Doug
                                  who as far as I know has never been in any war. In fact, this morning in
                                  LETTERS v. 2, I was just reading some wartime snarky comments from Jack
                                  about high-minded intellectual c.o.'s who have never, he says, been known to
                                  be troubled by their consciences about anything before.

                                  It would be great to influence all the children of the world forever against
                                  war. If it could be ALL the children of the world. I don't see that
                                  situation today.

                                  Diamond Proudbrook
                                • Mike Foster
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                    I concur with Diamond's assessment. The book needed a better copy
                                    editing job--typos as soon as p. 4--and danced over the difficult bits,
                                    but so did Colin D.'s book on CSL & JRRT.

                                    More later. A salmon calls.

                                    Stolzi wrote:

                                    > Doug Gresham, who spoke at the opening banquet for PAST WATCHFUL DRAGONS,
                                    >sold copies of his new (rather slight) book JACK'S LIFE. I was aggravated
                                    >to have bought it bec it is obviously by
                                    >its style - and overtly in so many words, in the conclusion - a bio of Lewis
                                    >for children, yet it was marketed at this conference without ever a word or
                                    >hint to that effect.
                                    >
                                    >Well, at least it was cheap; and it isn't too =bad=.
                                    >
                                    >I did think he was rather riding a hobby horse in an excess number of
                                    >paragraphs about How Awful War Is. Sure, it is awful, and the two wars
                                    >surely had a large impact on CSL as well as his friends and family. But I
                                    >don't think Lewis himself would have wanted to dwell on the subject that
                                    >much, - stiff upper lip and all that. And it comes ill from a man like Doug
                                    >who as far as I know has never been in any war. In fact, this morning in
                                    >LETTERS v. 2, I was just reading some wartime snarky comments from Jack
                                    >about high-minded intellectual c.o.'s who have never, he says, been known to
                                    >be troubled by their consciences about anything before.
                                    >
                                    >It would be great to influence all the children of the world forever against
                                    >war. If it could be ALL the children of the world. I don't see that
                                    >situation today.
                                    >
                                    >Diamond Proudbrook

                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Hugh Davis
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                      I had great hopes that _Jack's Life_ would feature more stories like the one
                                      Doug Gresham shared in the Q&A at Past Watchful Dragons (about the archer),
                                      but, alas, the anecdotes are less salacious.

                                      Hugh

                                      >From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>
                                      >To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
                                      >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] count the errors
                                      >Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:23:18 -0600
                                      >
                                      > Doug Gresham, who spoke at the opening banquet for PAST WATCHFUL DRAGONS,
                                      >sold copies of his new (rather slight) book JACK'S LIFE. I was aggravated
                                      >to have bought it bec it is obviously by
                                      >its style - and overtly in so many words, in the conclusion - a bio of
                                      >Lewis
                                      >for children, yet it was marketed at this conference without ever a word or
                                      >hint to that effect.
                                      >
                                      >Well, at least it was cheap; and it isn't too =bad=.
                                      >
                                      >I did think he was rather riding a hobby horse in an excess number of
                                      >paragraphs about How Awful War Is. Sure, it is awful, and the two wars
                                      >surely had a large impact on CSL as well as his friends and family. But I
                                      >don't think Lewis himself would have wanted to dwell on the subject that
                                      >much, - stiff upper lip and all that. And it comes ill from a man like
                                      >Doug
                                      >who as far as I know has never been in any war. In fact, this morning in
                                      >LETTERS v. 2, I was just reading some wartime snarky comments from Jack
                                      >about high-minded intellectual c.o.'s who have never, he says, been known
                                      >be troubled by their consciences about anything before.
                                      >
                                      >It would be great to influence all the children of the world forever
                                      >against
                                      >war. If it could be ALL the children of the world. I don't see that
                                      >situation today.
                                      >
                                      >Diamond Proudbrook

                                    • Jay Hershberger
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                        Thanks, Mike.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Jay Hershberger
                                        Moorhead, MN

                                        David Bratman wrote:

                                        >At 10:46 AM 11/7/2005 -0800, John D. Rateliff wrote:
                                        >

                                        >>Actually, of the three main biographies on CSL, I'd recommend starting
                                        with
                                        >>the Green & Hooper. That's the authorized biography, and it does the
                                        best
                                        >>job of discussing the main outlines of his life, works, and career.
                                        Although
                                        >>now more than thirty years old, it's still not been superceded as a
                                        whole.
                                        >>Then if you'd like to read more I'd read the Sayer next, since it's a
                                        warm
                                        >>portrait by a friend, as much memoir as biography; it'll convey why
                                        Lewis's
                                        >>friends thought so highly of him.
                                        >>

                                        >I'd start with Sayer for exactly the same reason. G&H is a valuable
                                        >source, but much too dry for casual reading. Also, G&H was recently
                                        >massively rewritten and extended by H, and I haven't studied all the
                                        >changes; nor are all editions that say "revised" actually the rewritten
                                        >edition.
                                        >

                                        >>P.S.: "Never wrote another word" is White's garbled version of a
                                        comment by
                                        >>Carpenter that, after his mauling by Anscombe, CSL stopped writing
                                        >>straightforward apologetics for many years and, when he resumed, his
                                        >>religious books were much more personal in tone (e.g., MIRACLES, THE
                                        PROBLEM
                                        >>OF PAIN, MERE XIANITY vs. REFLECTIONS ON THE PSALMS and LETTERS TO
                                        MALCOLM:
                                        >>CHIEFLY ON PRAYER).
                                        >>

                                        >Thank you; that clarifies the point better than I did.
                                        >
                                        >David Bratman

                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        Writing
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Wri
                                        ting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fi
                                        ction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLycc
                                        icIbmLvw> book
                                        Writing
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=W
                                        riting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+
                                        fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYx
                                        hLh9xKmaZA> a book
                                        Writing
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&
                                        w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Scie
                                        nce+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsy
                                        Q7cty1c0_Mdmcw> child book

                                        Book
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+bo
                                        ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
                                        cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXz
                                        OVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA> writing software
                                        Science
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writ
                                        ing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+softwar
                                        e&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig
                                        =XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ> fiction and fantasy
                                        Writing
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+bo
                                        ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
                                        cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7b
                                        RwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ> a book report

                                        _____