Re: [mythsoc] The Masques of Amen House

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2000
      David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
      > I have what I hope is a cheering announcement. No, I haven't decided
      > that _The Phantom Menace_ is the greatest work since Gilgamesh, but I am
      > here to say that _The Masques of Amen House_ will be published by The
      > Mythopoeic Press this summer. Probably in July.

      This is wonderful news. One question: have the masques ever been performed?
      And will we be seeing a performance at an upcoming Mythcon?

      > 72% off on Name brand Watches!
      > Come and buy today and get free shipping!

      Your usual disclaimer was missing. Does this mean that you /are/ responsible
      for this ad? <g>

      "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
      --Logan Pearsall Smith
      Currently reading: Personal Knowledge by Michael Polanyi
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2000
        I have what I hope is a cheering announcement. No, I haven't decided
        that _The Phantom Menace_ is the greatest work since Gilgamesh, but I am
        here to say that _The Masques of Amen House_ will be published by The
        Mythopoeic Press this summer. Probably in July.

        _The Masques of Amen House_ are three short plays by Charles Williams
        allegorizing the publication, sale, and reprinting of a scholarly book,
        deriving from his own work as an editor at the Oxford University Press.
        They are mythological and allusive as all Williams's work is, but even if
        you normally dislike Williams I fancy you might get a kick out of them.

        I've been working on compiling and editing this book, in one way or
        another, for about five years now, and I'm delighted that it's about to
        reach the public. The first two masques were only printed privately in
        the 1920s, and are unavailable commercially, though the first one was
        recently printed by the Charles Williams Society in their journal. Apart
        from that, they've been basically unseen by anyone except a few scholars.

        The book is 206 pages, and the price without shipping is $14. The Press is
        _not_ taking pre-publication orders, because we don't yet know what the
        shipping cost will be. This will of course be announced as soon as the
        Press is ready to take orders.

        Besides the three masques (The Masque of the Manuscript, The Masque of
        Perusal, and The Masque of the Termination of Copyright), the book
        includes a large selection of related poetry by Williams (most of it
        previously unpublished), five selections from Hubert Foss's musical
        settings of the masques for voices and piano (also previously
        unpublished), plus textual notes, commentaries, a long introduction to
        the masques by Bernadette Bosky, and a separate introduction/commentary
        on the music.
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2000
          On Mon, 15 May 2000, Matthew Winslow wrote:

          > This is wonderful news. One question: have the masques ever been performed?
          > And will we be seeing a performance at an upcoming Mythcon?

          The third masque has never been printed nor performed, but the first two
          have been performed three times each, all in Britain: first by Williams
          and his co-workers in 1927/29, and then revived in 1955 and 1998.

          There was a reading (not really a performance) of the first masque at the
          1995 Mythcon. It is possible there may be a real performance of a masque
          or two at a future Mythcon. I'd like to arrange one. But
          practicalities, including official acquisition of the rights to do it,
          would have to be acquired, and that hasn't yet been looked into. It's
          early days yet for that.

          David Bratman
        • David Lenander
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2000
            Berni, thanks so much for your comments. You probably have influenced both of
            my finalist ballots. Would you be willing to have your Children's list
            comments quoted A) on the Once Upon a Time web-page, and/or B) in my zine in
            OUaT?

            And your post would've been of interest to me even if I wasn't on the
            committees, so I'm glad you sent it. Thanks again.

            Berni Phillips wrote:

            > Warning! This may be a rather long message and not of interest to
            > non-committee members.
            >
            > Adult list first:
            >
            > A.S. Byatt, ELEMENTALS: I read the first two stories in here. I've never
            > [. . . .]
            >
            > Children's Fiction
            >
            > David Almond, SKELLIG: Interesting, original, sensitive fantasy about a
            > young boy who discovers a funny little winged man living in the garage.
            > [. . . .]
            >
            > -- Berni

          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 7 , May 24, 2000
              The May 29th issue of _The New Yorker_ has a joke article consisting of a
              page of excerpts from purported new prose translations of Beowulf,
              including ones by Frank McCourt and David Letterman. Passingly amusing.

              David Bratman
              - not responsible for the following joke -
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 13, 2000
                I haven't seen this book myself, but I just learned about it, and thought
                I'd pass the info on in case somebody with better access to the book
                wants to look it up.

                Philip Norman is best known as a historian of rock music, but he is also
                a novelist and, in the 1960s, was a journalist at the Sunday Times of
                London, for which he wrote an interview with Tolkien (also published
                by the New York Times).

                About four years ago, Norman published a novel, titled _Everyone's Gone
                to the Moon_, about a journalist for a major Sunday newspaper in London
                in the 1960s, who ... writes an interview with Tolkien.

                Could be interesting.

                David Bratman
                - not responsible for the following interview with advertisers -