Narnia Book report

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005
      Just got back from my supermarket, where there is a fresh new stand out
      laden with paperback Narnia books.

      These fall into three categories.

      1) Thinnish books which retell the story of LION in short snippets for the
      youngest (e.g. "Lucy Has Tea With Mr. Tumnus")

      2) A regular-size paperback of Lewis' LION, with some added material. The
      pages are apparently from the earlier editions, with rather smudgy
      reproductions of Pauline Baynes' drawings and map. The added material
      includes a picture section of color stills from the movie, and a longish
      List of Characters. Not sure why this is needed, nor whether it might not
      spoil the story, as it is bound in at the front (I should have looked to see
      just how it identifies Aslan!). It may have to do with copyright
      regulations which sometimes require new material to be added to justify a
      new copyright. But I can't really speak to this.

      3) A novelization of the whole story of LION, apparently based on the film
      script, or the place the film script had reached when this book went to
      press. Illustrated throughout with stills from the movie. If you want an
      idea of where the film is going, buy this, or wait another month and buy a
      movie ticket. I did not buy it but may succumb later.

      The last para is something like this:

      "As they all tumbled out of the wardrobe, Peter said, 'You'll never believe
      where we've been if I tell you.'

      " 'Try me,' said Professor Kirk, and tossed a cricket ball to him.'"

      One cheering result of all this is that neither on the spines, nor in the
      list of "All the Narnia Books" in the back, is LWW pegged as "Number 2."
      Having it be the first movie has sort of put the kibosh on that.

      The White Witch looked like, well, just an evil black-haired witch in
      Baynes' version. Tilda Swinton's, pale blonde and icicle-crowned, looks
      more like a woman beset by inner torments - something that would certainly
      be easier for an actress to play.

      Which reminds me that one of my difficulties reading LAST BATTLE and LWW, in
      whichever order, is that I've never quite been able to identify Jadis and
      the White Witch as the same person. The characters seem, well, different.
      And what about that Hag in PRINCE CASPIAN? Is she supposed to =be= the
      Witch, or just a minion of the same dark powers? "You can always get them
      back..."

      Diamond Proudbrook