To All friends Of Bernie Zuber

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2005
      Hi everyone:

      This is the latest I've received on the memorialization of Bernie's life 7
      works &
      for those who wish to commemorate him:

      > Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:50:03 -0700
      > Subject: Bernie Zuber 1933-2005
      > From: Bernie Zuber <bazuber@...>
      > To: Shire Post D <bazuber@...>
      >
      > To all Dear Friends and subscribers of Shire Post, it is
      > with sadness that
      > we inform you of the passing of our dear friend and Shire
      > Post editor Bernie
      > Zuber. Bernie died Friday, October 14, 2005 at the
      > Methodist Hospital in
      > Arcadia after struggling to recover from multiple
      > surgeries. His love of
      > the arts, his paintings, and the Shire Post were
      > instrumental to his
      > emotional well being during his illness. Bernie will be
      > greatly missed by
      > all who knew or met him.
      >
      > Viewing will at Keifer and Eyerick at the Glendale
      > Cemetery 1341 Glenwood
      > Avenue, Glendale CA 91201 on Wednesday October 26 from 6
      > to 8 pm. Funeral
      > Services will be held at All Saints Episcopal Church, 132
      > North Euclid
      > Avenue, Pasadena CA 91101. Between Union and Walnut on
      > Thursday October
      > 27th, 10:30 to 11:45 am. Reception at ASC will be from 12
      > to one. Metered
      > street parking is hard to find. Bring quarters, there are
      > 20 reserved spaces
      > in the church1s north lot. Regular north lot parking is
      > expensive. Best bet
      > is to use the underground parking structure for the
      > Colorado Paseo Mall.
      > (Colorado and Euclid) Walk two short blocks to All
      > Saints.
      >
      > The burial service will be at the Veteran1s Memorial
      > Cemetery in Glendale at
      > 2:30 pm. There will not be a funeral procession per se to
      > the site.
      >
      > Feel free to introduce yourselves to Mary Torregrossa as
      > a Shire Post
      > subscriber. Next month, Saturday November 12, from 7 to
      > 10 pm, at the
      > Underground Art Society on Lake Street in Altadena there
      > will be a happy
      > gathering to celebrate the art and life of Bernie Zuber.
      > The telephone
      > number for the Underground Art Society is 626-794-8779.
      >
      > Thank you for your patronage of the Shire Post over the
      > past ten years.
      >
      > Sincerely
      > Mary Torregrossa and Paul Cartwright

      And this came from one of the "Tolkien Forever" folks:

      Subject:
      [Tolkien_Forever] Re: A sad bit of news
      Date:
      Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:11:10 -0000
      From: "Rasputin the Evil Balrog" <rasputin@...>

      ............. I feel privileged
      that I had a chance to meet Bernie a few times. He had wonderful
      stories to tell, and great photos from past Tolkien events that he
      atteneded - the real history of LOTR fandom in Southern California.

      Do you know if there's an organization we could make a donation to in
      his honor? I can contact the woman you you listed and find out, too.
      Would anyone else be interested in maybe pooling some resources to
      make a donation from TF as a group?

      ~nicole

      Subject: [Tolkien_Forever] Re: A sad bit of news
      Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 02:07:30 -0000
      From: "Debbie" <primmy_b@...>

      .....Yes, that's a lovely idea; I would like very much to
      contribute to a charity in Bernie's name from "Tolkien_Forever".
      That would be great if either of you, Nicole or Bonnie could find out
      the infor for us.
      Thanks,
      Debbie/primmy

      So, one & all, do what you will with all of this. The last time I saw Bernie,
      he
      had attended the April "Hall of Fire" and told me how pleased he was with the

      new activity..."This (event) felt just like the early days of the Mythopoeic
      Society!"

      Thanks to All of you who so far have replied; David B, Margaret, Nicole, Alex
      B.,
      Jon Hodge, Debbie, and more to come!

      Love, Bonnie
    • Shirl
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2005
        Thanks for the information.
        While I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr Zuber, he and I corresponded
        for a few years while I was starting a Tolkien Fellowship group in the
        Seattle area back in 1979, which later evolved into a Mythopoeic group.
        I found him to be friendly, helpful and encouraging when I needed it the
        most. I'm sorry to hear of his health issues and hope he now has found peace
        and comfort.
        My condolences to his family. He was a great man.
        Shirl