Re: [mythsoc] A sad bit of news

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2005
      Very sad indeed. BernieZ was an old friend. He and his then-wife Teny had
      the almost insuperable burden of being fandom's publicity agents for the
      Bakshi LOTR film, which (poor souls) they thought was going to be good when
      they signed up, but Berni turned this to gold by founding a new fan group,
      the Tolkien Fellowships, and editing and writing (almost single-handed) a
      newsletter called The Westmarch Chronicle that ran regularly for 5 or 6 years.

      He dropped out of Tolkien circles when his bipolar condition became severe,
      but after it was brought back under control he would see old friends from
      time to time.

      As he was one of the major figures in the MythSoc's early days (one of the
      "old men," then in their mid 30s(!), who played an important part in those
      days), he deserves a significant obituary in Mythprint. You probably knew
      him longest of anyone here, Bonnie: perhaps you could write something,
      especially if you get to the funeral and hear what others say about his life.

      David Bratman

      At 10:46 PM 10/21/2005 -0700, Bonnie Callahan wrote:
      >Hello everyone;
      >
      >For those of you who have had the pleasure of knowing Bernie Zuber,
      >I'm sorry to report that he passed away last Friday at Arcadia
      >Methodist Hospital, of respiratory failure. He had a lengthy presence in
      >Sci-fi fandom as
      >well as in Mythopoeic/Tolkien circles, the arts community in
      >Pasadena/Altadena, the local
      >jazz scene, the National Alliance for the Mentally ill...many a hat he wore!
      >
      >So many of us are going to miss him terribly.
      >
      >For information regarding his funeral, contact Mary Torregrossa at
      ><slakita@....
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 23, 2005
        I will add that when I first joined BUTTERBUR'S WOODSHED, the Society's
        discussion group by correspondence, Bernie was a regular participant and I
        came to know him for the warmth and perceptiveness of his writing.

        Memory eternal!

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2005
          Truly sad news. I've known Bernie since I was a member of the Mythopoeic
          Society down in LA (the late 1960s). His puns in Mythery Loves Company,
          a column he wrote for Dave Hulan's Mything Link) were priceless, and
          where we found such words as MythDirections - Directions Glen GoodKnight
          has given for the next Myth Meeting. You get the idea.

          His work in Tolkien fandom was tireless until he grew ill.

          More recently, I would see him at the LA cons and we would share what we
          had been up to. It was good to see that he was doing better and seemed
          to be getting more out of life again.

          He will be missed.

          Mythically yours, (now you know who's fault that is)
          Lisa