MFA remaining nominees (adult)

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2000
      I am proud to say that, with the exception of Rhapsody (gave up after 100
      pages), I have read all the nominees on the preliminary list cover to
      cover. Here are the remaining 3:

      Avalon by Stephen R. Lawhead: In modern times, a womanizing king of Britain
      dies without issue, clearing the way for the Prime Minister to dissolve the
      monarchy and become Britain�s first president. However, Merlin (still alive
      after all these years) finds a legitimate successor to ascend the throne.
      Riveting, and a pleasant surprise, since I wasn't that enthusiastic about
      his first novel.

      Tamsin by Peter S. Beagle. A thirteen-year-old girl moves from NYC to
      England to a haunted house and meets assorted supernatural creatures.
      Annoying. Would have been better written in third person than in first. It
      does, in fact, get better after the first 100 pages, but I would not be
      surprised if a lot of readers gave up before then.

      Dark Sister by Graham Joyce. An unpleasant mess. An unhappy mother gets
      involved in herbalism and magic and is not a great success at it. I find it
      hard to believe that this won an award.

      My final choices are:

      1. The Fathergod Experiment by L. A. Taylor
      2. The Wild Swans by Peg Kerr
      3. Dark Cities Underground by Lisa Goldstein
      4. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire
      5. Avalon by Stephen R. Lawhead.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and