A sad bit of news

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2005
      Hello everyone;

      For those of you who have had the pleasure of knowing Bernie Zuber,
      I'm sorry to report that he passed away last Friday at Arcadia
      Methodist Hospital, of respiratory failure. He had a lengthy presence in
      Sci-fi fandom as
      well as in Mythopoeic/Tolkien circles, the arts community in
      Pasadena/Altadena, the local
      jazz scene, the National Alliance for the Mentally ill...many a hat he wore!

      So many of us are going to miss him terribly.

      For information regarding his funeral, contact Mary Torregrossa at
      <slakita@....

      Bonnie Callahan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2005
        Very sad indeed. BernieZ was an old friend. He and his then-wife Teny had
        the almost insuperable burden of being fandom's publicity agents for the
        Bakshi LOTR film, which (poor souls) they thought was going to be good when
        they signed up, but Berni turned this to gold by founding a new fan group,
        the Tolkien Fellowships, and editing and writing (almost single-handed) a
        newsletter called The Westmarch Chronicle that ran regularly for 5 or 6 years.

        He dropped out of Tolkien circles when his bipolar condition became severe,
        but after it was brought back under control he would see old friends from
        time to time.

        As he was one of the major figures in the MythSoc's early days (one of the
        "old men," then in their mid 30s(!), who played an important part in those
        days), he deserves a significant obituary in Mythprint. You probably knew
        him longest of anyone here, Bonnie: perhaps you could write something,
        especially if you get to the funeral and hear what others say about his life.

        David Bratman

        At 10:46 PM 10/21/2005 -0700, Bonnie Callahan wrote:
        >Hello everyone;
        >
        >For those of you who have had the pleasure of knowing Bernie Zuber,
        >I'm sorry to report that he passed away last Friday at Arcadia
        >Methodist Hospital, of respiratory failure. He had a lengthy presence in
        >Sci-fi fandom as
        >well as in Mythopoeic/Tolkien circles, the arts community in
        >Pasadena/Altadena, the local
        >jazz scene, the National Alliance for the Mentally ill...many a hat he wore!
        >
        >So many of us are going to miss him terribly.
        >
        >For information regarding his funeral, contact Mary Torregrossa at
        ><slakita@....
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2005
          I will add that when I first joined BUTTERBUR'S WOODSHED, the Society's
          discussion group by correspondence, Bernie was a regular participant and I
          came to know him for the warmth and perceptiveness of his writing.

          Memory eternal!

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 23, 2005
            Truly sad news. I've known Bernie since I was a member of the Mythopoeic
            Society down in LA (the late 1960s). His puns in Mythery Loves Company,
            a column he wrote for Dave Hulan's Mything Link) were priceless, and
            where we found such words as MythDirections - Directions Glen GoodKnight
            has given for the next Myth Meeting. You get the idea.

            His work in Tolkien fandom was tireless until he grew ill.

            More recently, I would see him at the LA cons and we would share what we
            had been up to. It was good to see that he was doing better and seemed
            to be getting more out of life again.

            He will be missed.

            Mythically yours, (now you know who's fault that is)
            Lisa