The Uses of Fantasy

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2005
      Interesting piece that starts out in a Moorcock vein, but ends up more
      positively, and which discusses some of our favorite authors. Seems to
      steal a bit (unattributed) from Tom Shippey's thesis in TOLKIEN: AUTHOR OF
      THE CENTURY. And, I think, the author misunderstands what Lewis meant by
      "the merry foreground."

      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2005/10/16/into_the_woods/?page=full

      " One senses that unknown dangers are preparing to assert themselves, and
      the closer they get, the dreamier everyday life begins to feel. This
      sensation is the hallmark of the English fantasists: Evil encroaches on the
      Shire, hallucinated blood spreads across a field at the Sandleford warren. "

      - James Parker

      Diamond Proudbrook