Hymnal?

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
      Someone on this list very kindly pointed me in the direction of a source for
      Anglican hymns this summer, but I have misplaced that message. Along with
      giving the information to find the cyberhymnal collection, the kind poster
      also confirmed that CS Lewis knew a specific hymnal and hymns. Can anyone
      help me find that information again?

      Thanks,
      Hugh Davis
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
        John wrote about Verlyn Flieger's new edition of _Smith of Wootton Major_:

        >Be warned, though, that this book isn't out yet in America and apparently
        >won't be for months; if like me you can't wait you'll need to order it
        >from amazon.uk.co or so similar source.

        Verlyn told me that unfortunately Houghton Mifflin had decided not to
        publish it. Very curious, I say, given that it contains previously
        unpublished writing by Tolkien. Amazon.com lists the British
        (HarperCollins) edition, but with a 1-2 month wait, but the book is
        immediately available, as John says, from amazon.co.uk.

        Houghton Mifflin have, however, just reprinted the one-volume 50th
        anniversary edition of _The Lord of the Rings_ in both trade hardcover and
        paperback, with additional corrections and a new, much larger index (by
        Christina and me), and later this year will publish our book of
        annotations, _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_ (which also
        includes a new edition of Tolkien's "Nomenclature of _The Lord of the
        Rings_"). This was originally to come out this month, but its unexpected
        length (976 pp.) caused printing and binding delays in the U.K., which led
        to the HarperCollins edition being postponed to 17 October and the Houghton
        Mifflin edition to 27 December. Houghton Mifflin will be publishing this
        only as a separate volume; in the U.K. it will be available both separately
        and in boxed sets with _The Lord of the Rings_, 3 vols., hardcover and
        paperback.

        N.B. This is still not _The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_, the
        two-volume reference book Christina and I have been working on for years.
        We expect that to be finished and published in 2006, and have returned to
        it after a short break to copy-edit the papers of the 2004 Marquette
        University Tolkien conference, which Marquette University Press expect to
        publish in December.

        Wayne

        Wayne G. Hammond & Christina Scull

      • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
            Likewise, David & John. It's on my Christmess/ Holy Innocents 59rh
            b'day list.

            Verlyn was just the right scholar to do this. I rejoice that it seems
            to be as good an edition as we hoped it could be. Santa, id I'm good...

            Mike