Good Tidings (Smith of Wootton Major)

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
      Yesterday my copy of the new expanded edition of SMITH OF WOOTTON MAJOR, edited by Verlyn Flieger, arrived. Highly recommended.
      The cover reproduces Pauline Baynes' original art from the 1st British edition (black with pinks swirls) --not as much to my taste as the 1st American cover but nice to have. Inside we get the whole of SWM as the first half, while the second half is all-new material, never before published. We get Tolkien's original unfinished introduction to George MacDonald's "The Golden Key", which broke off when he started to give an example of how to do this kind of story right (the example becoming SWM itself), a list of characters (including more on Grandfather Rider and several characters who don't appear in the actual story) and a timeline from the birth of Smith's grandfather (the Master Cook who goes away at the beginning of the story) to Smith's surrender of the star. We also get a facsimile reproduction of the surviving pages of the first draft ("The Great Cake") with transcriptions on facing pages: the best teach-yourself-to-read-Tolkien's-writing opportunity I've ever seen in print, as well as notes Tolkien wrote on how to end the story and the draft (ms and ts) of an interpolated scene. Finally, we get a note Tolkien wrote to Clyde Kilby describing the origin of the story, written at the time Wheaton was negotiating to buy the ms/ts material, and an extensive essay Tolkien wrote meditating on various characters, background, and symbols in the story (a snippet from which Carpenter quoted in TOLKIEN: A BIOGRAPHY). Add Verlyn's Afterword and Notes, and you have the best releases of new Tolkien material in years.
      HIGHLY recommended.

      Be warned, though, that this book isn't out yet in America and apparently won't be for months; if like me you can't wait you'll need to order it from amazon.uk.co or so similar source.

      Good reading!

      --JDR
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
        At 12:02 PM 10/15/2005 -0700, John D Rateliff wrote:
        >an extensive essay Tolkien wrote meditating on various characters,
        >background, and symbols in the story

        I believe this is the essay that I read in typescript at the Bodleian some
        years ago. By seeing what Tolkien left out of the story, I suddenly had
        great insights into what I believe are the reasons for the high quality of
        his work. Now that the book is out, I'll have to write about that.

        > Be warned, though, that this book isn't out yet in America and apparently
        >won't be for months; if like me you can't wait you'll need to order it from
        >amazon.uk.co or so similar source.

        The UK edition may be ordered through the regular US Amazon, with an
        estimated arrival time of 2 months.

        DB
      • Hugh Davis
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
          Someone on this list very kindly pointed me in the direction of a source for
          Anglican hymns this summer, but I have misplaced that message. Along with
          giving the information to find the cyberhymnal collection, the kind poster
          also confirmed that CS Lewis knew a specific hymnal and hymns. Can anyone
          help me find that information again?

          Thanks,
          Hugh Davis
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
            John wrote about Verlyn Flieger's new edition of _Smith of Wootton Major_:

            >Be warned, though, that this book isn't out yet in America and apparently
            >won't be for months; if like me you can't wait you'll need to order it
            >from amazon.uk.co or so similar source.

            Verlyn told me that unfortunately Houghton Mifflin had decided not to
            publish it. Very curious, I say, given that it contains previously
            unpublished writing by Tolkien. Amazon.com lists the British
            (HarperCollins) edition, but with a 1-2 month wait, but the book is
            immediately available, as John says, from amazon.co.uk.

            Houghton Mifflin have, however, just reprinted the one-volume 50th
            anniversary edition of _The Lord of the Rings_ in both trade hardcover and
            paperback, with additional corrections and a new, much larger index (by
            Christina and me), and later this year will publish our book of
            annotations, _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_ (which also
            includes a new edition of Tolkien's "Nomenclature of _The Lord of the
            Rings_"). This was originally to come out this month, but its unexpected
            length (976 pp.) caused printing and binding delays in the U.K., which led
            to the HarperCollins edition being postponed to 17 October and the Houghton
            Mifflin edition to 27 December. Houghton Mifflin will be publishing this
            only as a separate volume; in the U.K. it will be available both separately
            and in boxed sets with _The Lord of the Rings_, 3 vols., hardcover and
            paperback.

            N.B. This is still not _The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_, the
            two-volume reference book Christina and I have been working on for years.
            We expect that to be finished and published in 2006, and have returned to
            it after a short break to copy-edit the papers of the 2004 Marquette
            University Tolkien conference, which Marquette University Press expect to
            publish in December.

            Wayne

            Wayne G. Hammond & Christina Scull

          • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
              > Someone on this list very kindly pointed me in the direction of a source for
              > Anglican hymns this summer, but I have misplaced that message. Along with
              > giving the information to find the cyberhymnal collection, the kind poster
              > also confirmed that CS Lewis knew a specific hymnal and hymns. Can anyone
              > help me find that information again?

              The archives for the Mythsoc list are public and searchable: anyone can do this
              on the web site for the list.

              Joan
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
                Likewise, David & John. It's on my Christmess/ Holy Innocents 59rh
                b'day list.

                Verlyn was just the right scholar to do this. I rejoice that it seems
                to be as good an edition as we hoped it could be. Santa, id I'm good...

                Mike