". . . With Good Intentions" (resend)

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2005
      Don't know why the message I sent arrived with all the text missing, but here goes a second try.

      "Came across a v. strange little book recently called PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS:
      A DEMON'S ROAD MAP TO YOUR SOUL by C. S. Lewis, edited by Patricia S. Klein. Turns
      out this is derived from THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS, except that the material has been
      taken out of epistolary form and arranged by topic. Accordingly, the editor has
      written a new Introduction and Afterword for the book (the latter discussing how
      Wormwood and Screwtape are now involved in a copyright dispute and Wormwood has
      hit the tv talkshow circuit), along with new headers for each section and each excerpt
      (using such non-Lewis terms as "911"). An index carefully identifies just which page
      of SCREWTAPE each excerpt comes from, but the whole idea of recasting an author's
      work into a different genre like this makes me uneasy, much less its being done by
      someone who doesn't know the difference between a devil and a demon. Has anyone
      else come across a genre-shifting re-presentation like this?"

      --JDR

      Most recent purchase: OF THIS & OTHER WORLDS by CSL (precursor to ON STORIES and THE DARK TOWER & OTHER STORIES).
      Current reading: THE POWER OF THE RING: THE SPIRITUAL VISION BEHIND THE LORD OF THE RINGS by Stratford Caldecott.