Tommy seeks intelligence for his trip West

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2005
      Hi everyone:

      Tommy Silverros asked if I would post this. He's the Swedish
      photographer who
      has attended the 2 Tolkien Conferences
      in UK. He's coming to the US next summer.

      Bonnie

      ************
      Subject:
      THE PLAN SO FAR...
      Date:
      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:35:07 +0200
      From:
      Tommy Tommy <write.tommy@...>

      Hi!

      How´s life with you?
      I hope everthing is beginning to be OK.

      Here´s my short but absolute plan:
      * Coming to Los Angeles in the beginning of August.
      * Visit MYTHCON in Oklahoma.
      * Go trekking in a National Park.
      * Visit Las Vegas.
      * Visit Disneyland and WORLDCON in Anaheim in late august.
      * return home to Sweden in early september.

      That´s all I decieded so far. But since I work with photography and
      filmmaking I perhaps will make some kind of work too.

      I really could use some good advice what to see and what to miss.
      I´m very interested in culture. Books, movies, theatre, history, nature.
      * Do you perhaps have any good internet links you recommend?
      * Which flight company has good offers?
      * How do I get from L.A. to Oklahoma?
      * Good places to stay?
      * Unusal things to do and see which are not to be found easily?
      * Old movie historic landmarks?
      etc etc.

      The official internet sites are saying the same things and quite boring.

      Feel free to post this letter around.

      Have a great weekend! ;)

      --
      Namarië
      Your swedish friend

      Tommy :)

      Tommy Silverros
      Bagersgatan 2
      S-211 25 MALMÖ
      SWEDEN
      E-mail:write.tommy@...
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2005
        If you're driving from LA to OKC then back to Las Vegas, you might want to vary your route by going from LA south to San Diego first, then straight east for a while before heading north and east to OKC via Phoenix and Albuquerque. Then when you go to Vegas, go through Albuquerque to Flagstaff. Beautiful scenery both ways, and parks like Petrified Forest on the way -- that's how I went to a conference in San Diego last year. But since it will be high summer, make sure your car is well air-conditioned and you know how far you can go between fill-ups -- get a good AAA map showing which exits have gas, because it can be pretty sparsely populated out there. Is there a Swedish Automobile Association that has ties to our AAA and can get you road maps and tour guides?

        Janet

        Tommy Silverros asked if I would post this. He's the Swedish photographer who has attended the 2 Tolkien Conferences in UK. He's coming to the US next summer.

        Bonnie

        ************
        Subject:
        THE PLAN SO FAR...
        Date:
        Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:35:07 +0200
        From:
[...]

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2005
          Tommy,
          If you plan to swing east & north to the beautiful [zzzz] Midwest, be
          sure to give a day each to browsing the Wade Collegection at Wheaton
          [Ill.] College west of Chicago.

          About two hours north of there is Marquette University in Milwaukee and
          its remarkable Tolkien manuscript collection. Chris Mitchell @ Wade &
          Matt Blessing @ Marquette are both gracious & knowledgeable hosts, and
          on Wells St. you can sample the Marquette cuisine du pays, Real-Chilli
          and Angelo's hot Italian sub with a Leinie's Red and meet the world's
          surliest waitress.

          As TS North American rep & general Marquette & Wade fan, I'd be happy to
          meet you at either or both places, Tommy.

          Cheers,
          Mike