Lewis speaks

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2005
      Since there have been a couple questions recently on recordings of Lewis
      speaking, to which I responded privately, I suppose the response might be
      of general interest, as long as nobody comes up and bites me on the kneecap
      for giving it:

      Page 779 of _C. S. Lewis: A Companion and Guide_ by Walter Hooper gives the
      answer. Besides The Four Loves, the following recordings of Lewis
      speaking, all recorded for the BBC, survived:

      1) One of the Mere Christianity talks, "The New Man" (1944, 14 minutes)
      2) The intro to _The Great Divorce_ (1944, 2 minutes)
      3) "Charles Williams" from _On Stories_ (1949, 18 minutes)
      4) A version of "De Descriptione Temporum" called "The Great Divide" (1955,
      37 minutes)
      5) "The Vision of John Bunyan" from _Selected Literary Essays_ (1962, 26
      minutes)

      Cassettes containing these five talks were first issued by the Episcopal
      Radio-TV Foundation, the people for whom he recorded _The Four Loves_, in 1982.

      David Bratman
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2005
        1982?

        David Bratman wrote:

        >Since there have been a couple questions recently on recordings of Lewis
        >speaking, to which I responded privately, I suppose the response might be
        >of general interest, as long as nobody comes up and bites me on the kneecap
        >for giving it:
        >
        >Page 779 of _C. S. Lewis: A Companion and Guide_ by Walter Hooper gives the
        >answer. Besides The Four Loves, the following recordings of Lewis
        >speaking, all recorded for the BBC, survived:
        >
        >1) One of the Mere Christianity talks, "The New Man" (1944, 14 minutes)
        >2) The intro to _The Great Divorce_ (1944, 2 minutes)
        >3) "Charles Williams" from _On Stories_ (1949, 18 minutes)
        >4) A version of "De Descriptione Temporum" called "The Great Divide" (1955,
        >37 minutes)
        >5) "The Vision of John Bunyan" from _Selected Literary Essays_ (1962, 26
        >minutes)
        >
        >Cassettes containing these five talks were first issued by the Episcopal
        >Radio-TV Foundation, the people for whom he recorded _The Four Loves_, in 1982.
        >
        >David Bratman

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2005
          Thanks David.
          I now have the Blackstone Audiobook "C.S. Lewis Speaks His Mind", which gathers together items #2-5 of this list onto three audio cassettes. According to Hooper, item #1, the Mere Xianity conclusion, was released in '82 as part of a different set (Michael York's reading of MERE CHRISTIANITY), now out of print and which I've not yet been able to locate a copy of.
          The snippet from THE GREAT DIVORCE is curious; wonder if it was meant to precede a dramatization or on-air reading of the same. I know Lewis's unfinished AFTER TEN YEARS was broadcast after his death and imagine there were others.
          Pity there don't seem to be any recordings of Charles Williams's voice (at least, none that I know of). By the way, I checked and the half-hour BBC radio interview with Tolkien is apparently still available (www.audioforum.com, in case anyone's interested). The flip side, an interview with an elderly poet who was a friend of Ezra Pound's and has strong opinions about everything, is a hoot.
          --JDR

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2005
            At 01:46 PM 10/11/2005 -0500, Mike Foster wrote:
            >1982?
            >
            >David Bratman wrote:
            >
            >>Cassettes containing these five talks were first issued by the Episcopal
            >>Radio-TV Foundation, the people for whom he recorded _The Four Loves_, in
            >1982.

            Yes, 1982. That's what the Hooper Companion says, and I see no reason to
            doubt it.

            Wait. Perhaps you missed the second comma? Lewis recorded The Four Loves
            in 1957, but I wasn't giving that date. I was giving the date that the
            cassettes of the other talks were published.

            >A CSL daily reader I had with my second cuppa this morning said that
            >today Oct. 11 is the 75th anniversary of the date CSL, WHL, JM, MM & Mr.
            >Papworth moved to the Kilns.

            Unfortunately, today is October 13th. (Did the server hold your e-mail up
            for TWO DAYS? Or are they using a different calendar there in downstate
            Illinois?) Other than that, it's correct: the move was Oct. 11, 1930.

            DB
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2005
              David,
              It was 11th when I sent this.

              And I didn't know when CSL had recorded the talks but knew it wasn't
              likely 1982.

              Thanks to Carl & Arden & many others in ITF, 2005 Fish T. which goes to
              printers tomorrow a.m. will be truly both scholarly & silly.

              I've given up on getting
              Yiddish and Gaelic...

              Cheers to all,
              Mike