Are there two Hillsboro's?

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2005
      Greetings from a long-time lurker! I have run into a couple of C.S.
      Lewis-related questions that I have been unable to answer, and
      wondered if someone could help me out:

      1) On many of the C.S. Lewis websites (Into the Wardrobe being one of
      them), Lewis's move to the Hillsboro house is said to have taken place
      in August, 1930. Very shortly thereafter (October 1930) they move
      again to The Kilns. However, I ran across the passage in his diary
      (All My Road Before Me) that talks about their move and it is dated
      May 22, 1923. Are there two houses or locations known as Hillsboro,
      or is there some confusion as to the dates he resided there?

      2) A reader of my blog recently left a question on the tag-board and
      I'm at a loss to come up with an answer:

      Does anyone know what the the letters "TE, BS" mean at the end of
      Letter 22 in "The Screwtape Letters"?

      I would very much appreciate any help you can give me with these two
      questions.

      Regards,

      Arevanye
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2005
        At 11:15 AM 10/11/2005 +0000, Arevanye wrote:

        >1) On many of the C.S. Lewis websites (Into the Wardrobe being one of
        >them), Lewis's move to the Hillsboro house is said to have taken place
        >in August, 1930. Very shortly thereafter (October 1930) they move
        >again to The Kilns. However, I ran across the passage in his diary
        >(All My Road Before Me) that talks about their move and it is dated
        >May 22, 1923. Are there two houses or locations known as Hillsboro,
        >or is there some confusion as to the dates he resided there?

        What there is is some complexity about the dates he resided there. Lewis &
        menage first moved into Hillsboro in August 1922 but only stayed a month
        (AMR p. 79); then they came back. According to Hooper's Companion (p.
        122), they lived there "most of the time" between 1922 and 1930. A brief
        glance at Lewis's collected letters shows a letter to Arthur Greeves dated
        22 June 1930 at Hillsboro (p. 1:907), so it's unlikely that they'd been
        away again before August. In the letter, Lewis says that he "moved out to
        Headington last night" by which he evidently means that since term is over
        he no longer needs to stay in his college rooms.

        I suspect that the whole "moved to Hillsboro in 1930" idea is a typo that
        got spread around.

        Lewis's letters (and the website) give Hillsboro's address as Western Road,
        Headington. Hooper's notes in AMR say it's on Holyoake Road. There is no
        Western Road in Headington today, so I suspect the street name has been
        changed.

        >Does anyone know what the the letters "TE, BS" mean at the end of
        >Letter 22 in "The Screwtape Letters"?

        No idea. As letters appended to Screwtape's formal title, this is a parody
        of the British practice of using abbreviations of one's degrees, honors,
        and memberships after one's name. ("M.A., C.B.E., F.R.S., etc." - that
        sort of thing.) The name of Tolkien's T.C.B.S. is also a takeoff of this.
        I don't know if Lewis had anything in particular in mind for "T.E., B.S.,
        etc." to stand for, though there might be some reference elsewhere in the
        Letters.

        David Bratman
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2005
          A CSL daily reader I had with my second cuppa this morning said that
          today Oct. 11 is the 75th anniversary of the date CSL, WHL, JM, MM & Mr.
          Papworth moved to the Kilns.

          Cheers,
          Mike
        • Kathleen