Off-beat Lewis sighting

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
      This may take you awhile; I myself was led off course at first by the
      mention of the Marx Brothers.

      You need to know two things before you read it:

      1) the quote is from one of Angela Thirkell's series of light-hearted
      Barsetshire Novels

      2) Wickham is a WWII British Navy veteran

      ' "It's like that man at Oxford or somewhere who writes books about
      Fredonia - no that's the Marx Brothers - anyway Something-landia," said Mr.
      Wickham, "where the land goes up and down in waves all the time like the sea
      and somehow it's all very religious. If he'd ever been forty-eight hours in
      a high sea steaming round and round and the galley fires out and feeling as
      sick as a cat, he'd feel religious all right." '

      For more about Thirkell, see
      http://www.angelathirkell.org/

      If you don't mind a) no mythopoeia whatever, and b) a fairly offhand
      approach to the religious beliefs and duties of Anglicanism, you may find
      these relaxing "comfort reads," with a high proportion of English literacy
      (quotes galore from the best authors) and gentle comedy-of-manners. Ms.
      Thirkell turned them out roughly every year from the early 1930's to her
      death in 1961. I think they become better when her characters have to
      face the War and the subsequent hardships of life.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
        Diamond,
        My wife Jo read quite a few Thirkell's and me a few less but some. They
        are what some call "cozies," which some fantasy tales are...unless some
        people on this thread get hold of them. :-)

        I found in teaching Perelandra that people who were sea- or
        motion-sickly inclined liked the early chapters much less than hearty
        sailors do.

        Warning: Talk Like A Pirate Day was two weeks ago.

        Cheers,
        Mike