query re. Lewis audio

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      Came across something that puzzled me, and thought folks here would be likely to know the answer.
      I just discovered that Blackstone Audio has for sale, among their many CSL audiobooks, two read by Lewis himself. I already have THE FOUR LOVES, but it'd been my understanding that this was the only surviving recording of Lewis's voice. Now it seems there are three or four others, gathered together under the name C. S. LEWIS SPEAKS HIS MIND: a talk on THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS, a lecture called "The Great Divide", his intro to THE GREAT DIVORCE, and "his critique of works by Charles Williams" (perhaps from EPCW or his introduction to "The Figure of Arthur"?). Does anyone know the history of these recordings?
      By the way, it's well worth checking out Blackstone's website if you like unabridged recorded books. Their Tolkien offerings are slight (all I found was Carpenter's THE INKLINGS and Mark Eddy Smith's TOLKIEN'S ORDINARY VIRTUES) but they have three of Williams' novels and twenty-one works by CSL, including all his fiction (with the exception of the pieces in the Dark Tower collection), plus four more about him (the Carpenter, Geo. Sayer's biography, the recent collection of memoirs edited by Lawlor, and the Walker-Patrick "Christian for All Christians" collection). Just be warned that you get somewhat different results if you type in "C.S.Lewis" vs. "C. S. Lewis".
      Oh, and Happy Durin's Day*

      --JDR

      *or at least what would have been Durin's Day before Tolkien changed it from the beginning to the end of autumn