Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 2016

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27 9:00 AM
      I agree with Eric, and Wendell, but I've always suspected that at least
      a part of JRRT's revisionism had to do with becoming more aware of
      Williams's Golden Dawn/Rosy Cross connections, and perhaps some inkling
      of the kind of thing that we see documented in the Letters to Lalage.
      Aside from any lingering resentment over Williams having stolen some of
      CSL's attention or perhaps worry over how CSL might have been misled by
      the association. I suspect that JRRT probably had little sympathy for
      Williams' poetry, too--but I really don't know that. I've never read
      all of JRRT's letters, so someone can perhaps enlighten me on these
      points. I shall look forward to seeing Eric's paper if it appears
      somewhere in the future. I'm sorry that we couldn't make it to Tolkien
      2005.

      On Sep 27, 2005, at 7:29 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 10
      > Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:42:59 EDT
      > From: WendellWag@...
      > Subject: Re: Re:"When Tolkien got precious with Lewis"
      >

      > In a message dated 9/26/2005 12:33:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > pdgoselin@... writes:
      >
      > There did seem to be a hint in one letter that Charles Williams had
      > somehow "come between" Tolkien and Lewis.
      >

      > One of the interesting papers at Tolkien 2005 in Birmingham (which
      > included
      > Mythcon this year) was by Eric Rauscher. He looked at the claim that
      > Tolkien
      > and Williams didn't get along that well and that they didn't have much
      > in
      > common. The claim also usually says that the only reason they ever
      > hung out
      > together was because they both knew Lewis. Eric argued that this was
      > wrong.
      > It's clear if you look at letters and diaries from the time that the
      > two knew
      > each other (up till Williams's death in 1945) that this isn't true.
      > A couple
      > of decades later, when Tolkien was interviewed in the late 1960's and
      > early
      > 1970's, he sometimes spoke as if he never got along with Williams
      > that well
      > and didn't have much in common with him, but that appears to be him
      > re-writing
      > history. Tolkien just didn't like interviewers trying to prove that
      > the
      > Inklings were responsible for everything in his books.
      >
      > Wendell Wagner

      David Lenander, Library Manager
      University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library Access Services
      Diehl Hall / 505 Essex SE, / Mpls., MN 55455

      Phone: work: (612) 626-3375 fax: (612) 626-2454 home: (651) 292-8887;
      (651) 697-1807
      e-mail: d-lena@... web-page:
      http://umn.edu/~d-lena/OnceUponATime.html
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27 10:53 AM
        I have the strongest feeling that whoever wrote this new study is just
        stirring up dust and making much out of very little.

        As for interviewing, people's memories fade after so many years and can
        easily be pushed, often, by an interviewer with his/her own agenda.

        "Violent rows"? I don't think either was that sort of man.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27 4:48 PM
          Or, as I said on another similar bit of writing during David Emerson's
          presentation on Tolkien & Michael Moorcock at Aston Tolkien 2005,
          "The Cherry Bomb in the Cow Pie School of Literary Criticism".

          Mike