Re: [mythsoc] Re:"When Tolkien got precious with Lewis"

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
      Gee, dunno about Richard and DB can speak for
      hisself but from what he's said I assumed it was a mix of ouija and
      seance and the table kinda moving up and rising into the air...

      =-O

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
        In a message dated 9/26/2005 12:33:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        pdgoselin@... writes:

        There did seem to be a hint in one letter that Charles Williams had
        somehow "come between" Tolkien and Lewis.

        One of the interesting papers at Tolkien 2005 in Birmingham (which included
        Mythcon this year) was by Eric Rauscher. He looked at the claim that Tolkien
        and Williams didn't get along that well and that they didn't have much in
        common. The claim also usually says that the only reason they ever hung out
        together was because they both knew Lewis. Eric argued that this was wrong.
        It's clear if you look at letters and diaries from the time that the two knew
        each other (up till Williams's death in 1945) that this isn't true. A couple
        of decades later, when Tolkien was interviewed in the late 1960's and early
        1970's, he sometimes spoke as if he never got along with Williams that well
        and didn't have much in common with him, but that appears to be him re-writing
        history. Tolkien just didn't like interviewers trying to prove that the
        Inklings were responsible for everything in his books.

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
          Thanks, Wendell, for sharing this observation of Eriv's paperwh, I agree
          was one of 43 or so highlights at Aston.

          Mike

          WendellWag@... wrote:

          >In a message dated 9/26/2005 12:33:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          >pdgoselin@... writes:
          >
          >There did seem to be a hint in one letter that Charles Williams had
          >somehow "come between" Tolkien and Lewis.

          It was
          the witchcraft interest of CW, aina?

          >One of the interesting papers at Tolkien 2005 in Birmingham (which included
          >Mythcon this year) was by Eric Rauscher. He looked at the claim that Tolkien
          >and Williams didn't get along that well and that they didn't have much in
          >common. The claim also usually says that the only reason they ever hung out
          >together was because they both knew Lewis. Eric argued that this was wrong.
          >It's clear if you look at letters and diaries from the time that the two knew
          >each other (up till Williams's death in 1945) that this isn't true. A couple
          >of decades later, when Tolkien was interviewed in the late 1960's and early
          >1970's, he sometimes spoke as if he never got along with Williams that well
          >and didn't have much in common with him, but that appears to be him re-writing
          >history. Tolkien just didn't like interviewers trying to prove that the
          >Inklings were responsible for everything in his books.

          Again, it was the best paper Eric's done in my earshot, and kudos to him.

          Mike