Re: [mythsoc] Re:"When Tolkien got precious with Lewis"

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
      On Sep 26, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Mike Foster wrote:

      > I don't know if they are reading this but David Bratman & Richard
      > C. West cd. certainly speak to Williams.

      They CAN?! Wow! Do they perform a séance, or use a ouija board, or what?

      ;)
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
        Gee, dunno about Richard and DB can speak for
        hisself but from what he's said I assumed it was a mix of ouija and
        seance and the table kinda moving up and rising into the air...

        =-O

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
          In a message dated 9/26/2005 12:33:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          pdgoselin@... writes:

          There did seem to be a hint in one letter that Charles Williams had
          somehow "come between" Tolkien and Lewis.

          One of the interesting papers at Tolkien 2005 in Birmingham (which included
          Mythcon this year) was by Eric Rauscher. He looked at the claim that Tolkien
          and Williams didn't get along that well and that they didn't have much in
          common. The claim also usually says that the only reason they ever hung out
          together was because they both knew Lewis. Eric argued that this was wrong.
          It's clear if you look at letters and diaries from the time that the two knew
          each other (up till Williams's death in 1945) that this isn't true. A couple
          of decades later, when Tolkien was interviewed in the late 1960's and early
          1970's, he sometimes spoke as if he never got along with Williams that well
          and didn't have much in common with him, but that appears to be him re-writing
          history. Tolkien just didn't like interviewers trying to prove that the
          Inklings were responsible for everything in his books.

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 26, 2005
            Thanks, Wendell, for sharing this observation of Eriv's paperwh, I agree
            was one of 43 or so highlights at Aston.

            Mike

            WendellWag@... wrote:

            >In a message dated 9/26/2005 12:33:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            >pdgoselin@... writes:
            >
            >There did seem to be a hint in one letter that Charles Williams had
            >somehow "come between" Tolkien and Lewis.

            It was
            the witchcraft interest of CW, aina?

            >One of the interesting papers at Tolkien 2005 in Birmingham (which included
            >Mythcon this year) was by Eric Rauscher. He looked at the claim that Tolkien
            >and Williams didn't get along that well and that they didn't have much in
            >common. The claim also usually says that the only reason they ever hung out
            >together was because they both knew Lewis. Eric argued that this was wrong.
            >It's clear if you look at letters and diaries from the time that the two knew
            >each other (up till Williams's death in 1945) that this isn't true. A couple
            >of decades later, when Tolkien was interviewed in the late 1960's and early
            >1970's, he sometimes spoke as if he never got along with Williams that well
            >and didn't have much in common with him, but that appears to be him re-writing
            >history. Tolkien just didn't like interviewers trying to prove that the
            >Inklings were responsible for everything in his books.

            Again, it was the best paper Eric's done in my earshot, and kudos to him.

            Mike