Re: [mythsoc] The Elvish Love Ring

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
      Diamond,
      I am finishing up editing chores on my 'Teaching Tolkien' paper for
      Marquette University Press publication even as I write this. Once done,
      I'll turn to the Aston clerihews.

      Be advised that there may be clerihew contests at the Gathering of the
      Fellowship in Toronto in July and perhaps at the 'Watchful Dragons' CSL
      conference in Nashvull in November.

      Cheers,
      Mike

      Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
        Pretty jewelry if you like wearing "movie stuff" -- and, well... I
        guess rhyming poetry is out of fashion... even in "... Quenya Mode,
        Tengwar Cursive Font... " ... but, doggerel is doggerel. (IMHO) Lezlie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:
        > Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
        >
        > >The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
        > >English into the _tengwar_.
        > >
        > >On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:
        > >

        > >>http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
        > >>
        > >>One ring to show our love,
        > >>One ring to bind us,
        > >>One ring to seal our love
        > >>And forever to entwine us.
        > >>
        > >>O ye language experts, does it really say that?
        > >>
        > >>"It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
        > >>

        > >>Diamond Proudbrook

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Beth Russell
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
          Of course it rhymes -- whoever would think that it didn't?

          Beth

          >>The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
          >>English into the _tengwar_.
          >>

          >So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
          >doesn't :P
          >
          >Diamond Proudbrook

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links