Re: [mythsoc] The Elvish Love Ring

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
      From: "Mike Foster" <mafoster@...>

      > It rhymes if you're from the South.

      I am, and it still doesn't.

      Hey, Mike, what about those Clerihew winners you promised us?

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
        Stolzi wrote:

        >>So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
        >>doesn't :P
        >>
        >>Diamond Proudbrook

        This is when I know I haven't had enough sleep - I glanced at that
        sentence and my first nonsensical thought was, hmm, I never heard of the
        ent's draughts being referred to as "wine." :)

        Ellen
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
          Diamond,
          I am finishing up editing chores on my 'Teaching Tolkien' paper for
          Marquette University Press publication even as I write this. Once done,
          I'll turn to the Aston clerihews.

          Be advised that there may be clerihew contests at the Gathering of the
          Fellowship in Toronto in July and perhaps at the 'Watchful Dragons' CSL
          conference in Nashvull in November.

          Cheers,
          Mike

          Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

        • Lezlie
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
            Pretty jewelry if you like wearing "movie stuff" -- and, well... I
            guess rhyming poetry is out of fashion... even in "... Quenya Mode,
            Tengwar Cursive Font... " ... but, doggerel is doggerel. (IMHO) Lezlie

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:
            > Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.
            >
            > Mike
            >
            > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
            >
            > >The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
            > >English into the _tengwar_.
            > >
            > >On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:
            > >

            > >>http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
            > >>
            > >>One ring to show our love,
            > >>One ring to bind us,
            > >>One ring to seal our love
            > >>And forever to entwine us.
            > >>
            > >>O ye language experts, does it really say that?
            > >>
            > >>"It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
            > >>

            > >>Diamond Proudbrook

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Beth Russell
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
              Of course it rhymes -- whoever would think that it didn't?

              Beth

              >>The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
              >>English into the _tengwar_.
              >>

              >So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
              >doesn't :P
              >
              >Diamond Proudbrook

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links