Re: [mythsoc] The Elvish Love Ring

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
      Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.

      Mike

      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      >The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
      >English into the _tengwar_.
      >
      >On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:
      >

      >>http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
      >>
      >>One ring to show our love,
      >>One ring to bind us,
      >>One ring to seal our love
      >>And forever to entwine us.
      >>
      >>O ye language experts, does it really say that?
      >>
      >>"It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
      >>

      >>Diamond Proudbrook

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
          > The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
          > English into the _tengwar_.

          So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
          doesn't :P

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
            It rhymes if you're from the South.

            Cheers,
            Mike

            Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                Stolzi wrote:

                >>So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
                >>doesn't :P
                >>
                >>Diamond Proudbrook

                This is when I know I haven't had enough sleep - I glanced at that
                sentence and my first nonsensical thought was, hmm, I never heard of the
                ent's draughts being referred to as "wine." :)

                Ellen
              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                  Diamond,
                  I am finishing up editing chores on my 'Teaching Tolkien' paper for
                  Marquette University Press publication even as I write this. Once done,
                  I'll turn to the Aston clerihews.

                  Be advised that there may be clerihew contests at the Gathering of the
                  Fellowship in Toronto in July and perhaps at the 'Watchful Dragons' CSL
                  conference in Nashvull in November.

                  Cheers,
                  Mike

                  Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

                • Lezlie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                    Pretty jewelry if you like wearing "movie stuff" -- and, well... I
                    guess rhyming poetry is out of fashion... even in "... Quenya Mode,
                    Tengwar Cursive Font... " ... but, doggerel is doggerel. (IMHO) Lezlie

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:
                    > Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.
                    >
                    > Mike
                    >
                    > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                    >
                    > >The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
                    > >English into the _tengwar_.
                    > >
                    > >On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:
                    > >

                    > >>http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
                    > >>
                    > >>One ring to show our love,
                    > >>One ring to bind us,
                    > >>One ring to seal our love
                    > >>And forever to entwine us.
                    > >>
                    > >>O ye language experts, does it really say that?
                    > >>
                    > >>"It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
                    > >>

                    > >>Diamond Proudbrook

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Beth Russell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                      Of course it rhymes -- whoever would think that it didn't?

                      Beth

                      >>The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
                      >>English into the _tengwar_.
                      >>

                      >So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
                      >doesn't :P
                      >
                      >Diamond Proudbrook

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links