Re: [mythsoc] The Elvish Love Ring

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
      The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
      English into the _tengwar_.

      On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:

      > http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
      >
      > One ring to show our love,
      > One ring to bind us,
      > One ring to seal our love
      > And forever to entwine us.
      >
      > O ye language experts, does it really say that?
      >
      > "It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
      >

      > Diamond Proudbrook
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
        Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.

        Mike

        Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

        >The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
        >English into the _tengwar_.
        >
        >On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:
        >

        >>http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
        >>
        >>One ring to show our love,
        >>One ring to bind us,
        >>One ring to seal our love
        >>And forever to entwine us.
        >>
        >>O ye language experts, does it really say that?
        >>
        >>"It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
        >>

        >>Diamond Proudbrook

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
          From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

          Thanks, Carl.

          > The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
          > English into the _tengwar_.

          Tolkien himself of course did use transliterations from English sometimes.

          But these lyin' so-and-sos do their best to imply that theirs is in Quenya.

          Mike Foster wrote

          >Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.

          Mike, at least somebody has grasped the concept that "ash nazg thrakatuluk"
          is not precisely the way to signify your devotion to Tolkien, or to each
          other, or to anybody unless perhaps you're a Sauron devotee.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
            From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

            Subject: Re: [mythsoc] The Elvish Love Ring

            > The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
            > English into the _tengwar_.

            So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
            doesn't :P

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
              It rhymes if you're from the South.

              Cheers,
              Mike

              Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
                From: "Mike Foster" <mafoster@...>

                > It rhymes if you're from the South.

                I am, and it still doesn't.

                Hey, Mike, what about those Clerihew winners you promised us?

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • Ellen
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                  Stolzi wrote:

                  >>So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
                  >>doesn't :P
                  >>
                  >>Diamond Proudbrook

                  This is when I know I haven't had enough sleep - I glanced at that
                  sentence and my first nonsensical thought was, hmm, I never heard of the
                  ent's draughts being referred to as "wine." :)

                  Ellen
                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                    Diamond,
                    I am finishing up editing chores on my 'Teaching Tolkien' paper for
                    Marquette University Press publication even as I write this. Once done,
                    I'll turn to the Aston clerihews.

                    Be advised that there may be clerihew contests at the Gathering of the
                    Fellowship in Toronto in July and perhaps at the 'Watchful Dragons' CSL
                    conference in Nashvull in November.

                    Cheers,
                    Mike

                    Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

                  • Lezlie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                      Pretty jewelry if you like wearing "movie stuff" -- and, well... I
                      guess rhyming poetry is out of fashion... even in "... Quenya Mode,
                      Tengwar Cursive Font... " ... but, doggerel is doggerel. (IMHO) Lezlie

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:
                      > Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.
                      >
                      > Mike
                      >
                      > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                      >
                      > >The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
                      > >English into the _tengwar_.
                      > >
                      > >On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:
                      > >

                      > >>http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
                      > >>
                      > >>One ring to show our love,
                      > >>One ring to bind us,
                      > >>One ring to seal our love
                      > >>And forever to entwine us.
                      > >>
                      > >>O ye language experts, does it really say that?
                      > >>
                      > >>"It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
                      > >>

                      > >>Diamond Proudbrook

                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Beth Russell
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                        Of course it rhymes -- whoever would think that it didn't?

                        Beth

                        >>The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
                        >>English into the _tengwar_.
                        >>

                        >So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
                        >doesn't :P
                        >
                        >Diamond Proudbrook

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links